Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Dealing with authority
    #4140940 - 05/06/05 05:16 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Why do you think that some people have a rough time dealing with authority? Does it start from childhood? I've been rebellious since I can remember (my earliest memories are of myself resisting my parents authority). And even though I'm a mod here at the Shroomery, it makes me a bit uncomfortable to be put in an authority position. I have always had a rebellious nature and a strange relationship with authority figures, or people who have power over me. I either end up disliking the authority figure or developing a crush on him, sometimes at the same time. I say "him" rather then "her" because I don't really care about women in authority. They don't bother me that much. But a male authority figure always elicits that love/hate thing from me.

Does this have something to do with father-figures? Are some people just "wired" differently?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Dealing with authority [Re: MOTH]
    #4140965 - 05/06/05 05:29 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

You feel threatened of them and feel that you are more deserving of their position of power. :wink:

*shrugs* :smirk:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Dealing with authority - I just try to act like asphault and let them walk all over me [Re: fireworks_god]
    #4140994 - 05/06/05 05:44 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

One day, when we were less than 12, my younger brother and I came into the kitchen with our shoes still on and some dried mud fell off.

My father ragged us and pulled his belt off and folded it to begin to correct us. Me first as older - I remember standing up to face the next few unpleasant minutes and afterwards was a bit dismayed that my brother fell to the ground mewling and begging for forgiveness.
I don't remember if the outcome was much altered by his ploy.

These patterns persisted like the cutting of a deck of cards.

I was eventually relieved when the source of my paternal authority passed away (although it meant my father was not coming back which is a drag), and was very sorrowful when my brother cringed his last act out before some very serious tax collectors in a devastating repeat performance.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:šŸ§   _ :finger:

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Dealing with authority [Re: fireworks_god]
    #4140997 - 05/06/05 05:45 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Sorry...guess this isn't a very "S&P" topic.

I am asking because I heard someone say that our relationship with authority mimics our relationship with God.

It just made me think about my own relationship with authority and how it is related to my spiritual growth.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #4141054 - 05/06/05 06:23 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I think children use rebellion against authority as a means to identify their own individuality. We see this when a child is around two years old, and again when a child enters puberty. I am not claiming that adults cannot be rebellious, but being placed into a position of authority, such as becoming a parent (or a moderator), tends to increase ones appreciation for those that are easy going and takes away from ones rebellious nature.

I completely disagree that the way we deal with authority has anything at all to do with our relationship with God. To me this sounds like a typical scare tactic used by evangelistic Christians. "Follow the rules or burn in hell". "Follow the rules or rot it prison". My relationship with God is based upon unconditional love and surrender, not upon laws or authority or fear of damnation.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Dealing with authority [Re: Seuss]
    #4141079 - 05/06/05 06:35 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:

I completely disagree that the way we deal with authority has anything at all to do with our relationship with God.  To me this sounds like a typical scare tactic used by evangelistic Christians. 

I agree with you.  I didn't want to say anything at first (so as not to turn the thread into feeling anti-Christian) but yes, the person who said it is a Christian.  :wink:  I have a Christian background, so the comment caught my interest even though I don't believe it has any validity. 

Quote:

I think children use rebellion against authority as a means to identify their own individuality. We see this when a child is around two years old, and again when a child enters puberty. I am not claiming that adults cannot be rebellious, but being placed into a position of authority, such as becoming a parent (or a moderator), tends to increase ones appreciation for those that are easy going and takes away from ones rebellious nature.

I've never thought about it that way before, but I think you're right.

Edited by EllemyshShade (05/06/05 06:39 AM)

InvisibletrendalM
Jā™ 
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #4141097 - 05/06/05 06:39 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

My mistrust for and loathing of Authority stems from the fact that authority is usually not given out on a basis of intelligence or logicality.

If a "leader" can display a strong intelligence, good use of logic, and rationally explain his/her decisions...then I have no problems at all in following them.

The moment an authority figure says something stupid, then tries to cover it with lies, they have lost all of my respect and will see little to no obedience coming from me.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Re: Dealing with authority [Re: trendal]
    #4141244 - 05/06/05 07:54 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

trendal said:
My mistrust for and loathing of Authority stems from the fact that authority is usually not given out on a basis of intelligence or logicality.

If a "leader" can display a strong intelligence, good use of logic, and rationally explain his/her decisions...then I have no problems at all in following them.

The moment an authority figure says something stupid, then tries to cover it with lies, they have lost all of my respect and will see little to no obedience coming from me.

Zactly!

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: Dealing with authority [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #4142319 - 05/06/05 12:52 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

FUCK AUTHORITY
(GG Allin)

Don't ever trust authority
Pigs, parents and our society
You got to play by your own, own set of rules
Fuck the law, fuck the law, fuck the law, burn the fuse

Mr. Pig Man, you are nothing
Nothing, sealed behind your badge
Always snorting out lies and deceits
Pawned away, pawned away to your boring society

Fuck authority, fuck authority
Kill the president and seniority
Lets murder a society

Little pig man behind judge's robe
I can't wait to see you die
You piece, you piece of puppet property shit
You're nothing but a lie so full of shit

If you live nothing, you are nothing
Dissolved by the stagnating masses
I say its time to say fuck the law
Kill, kill, kill, kill their motherfucking asses

Kill the president and seniority
Lets murder a society

'Cause when I fall
Because when I fall, I fall hard
Going down with everything
Going down with everything that I am

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
    #4142977 - 05/06/05 03:29 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

:lol: I work fine with authority that has proven itself.

No way in hell I'm going to respect something just because others suggest I should, it must prove itself.

I think it has to deal with respect, and how an individual grants respect. Some grant respect merely from hierarchical status, other grant it on the basis of age. Some don't give it any respect even if it is required. I'm in the last category, it must prove itself or else I'll just write it off. Blind respect to authority, isn't too different from blind faith. :shrug: Do nothing blindly.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #4143568 - 05/06/05 06:11 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I always had a problem with authority as a young man. In the Army I had a severe attitude. I almost got sent to prison at Pearl Harbor for whipping my platoon sergeant's ass. (he was relieved of command three days later for abuse of power and my C.O. saved my ass)I disagreed and rebelled against authority in all of it's forms. Well, life has a funny way of paying you back...now I am a very authoritarian person myself...as a person and a parent. Nearly every job I have had in the last 15 years has required that I enforce rules and regulations. What is even more funny is that I have rebelled against the authorities that employed me in these jobs. I must be really screwed up.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ā€• Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Dealing with authority [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4143590 - 05/06/05 06:20 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Some of us noticed. :grin:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Dealing with authority [Re: Icelander]
    #4143595 - 05/06/05 06:21 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I figured that all too well.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ā€• Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: Dealing with authority [Re: trendal]
    #4143751 - 05/06/05 06:59 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

trendal said:

:thumbup:

Respect should be earned, not given automatically.

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Dealing with authority [Re: Silversoul]
    #4143760 - 05/06/05 07:01 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

A certain truth.

--------------------

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
    #4144287 - 05/06/05 10:00 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

i think that theres a definite survival instinct at work here...as george orwell pointed out more or less eloquently..the person imposing authority is bent on inflicting pain and humiliation as an end to itself...this generally involves bodily injury..so the rebellion is an attempt to avoid such injury...

as per the gender of the authoritarian..my experience has been the opposite of yours ..i find that female authoritarians are even more impatient than their male counterparts...but irregardless of gender..i fully agree that in almost every case..the authoritarian got the job because of cronyism rather than ability...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

#4144771 - 05/07/05 01:00 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I don't really fear authority as much as I fear their ability to make my life miserable. Take my money, imprison me, etc.

They hold a lot of power but it doesn't get wielded poorly most of the time.

Just kinda depends. I'm not too strong on this topic.

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Dealing with authority [Re: freddurgan]
    #4145680 - 05/07/05 10:48 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, I get really tweaky when someone else imagines they can control me.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Dealing with authority [Re: freddurgan]
    #4145689 - 05/07/05 10:50 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

An authority figure who weilds their power in a practical, decisive, and even handed way is a rare find, as well as a great benefit to society. A poor authority figure is a menace.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds