Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePedM
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Faith and Reason
    #3977977 - 03/27/05 11:50 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Faith is a very important spiritual quality that is fading into obscurity because of our improper understanding of the word. The more we build up contempt for the word "faith", the more we lose touch with it's actual meaning.

Most people do not properly understand the meaning of the word "faith". "Faith" is not simply "belief in something without logical or material evidence." This is only half the story. In reality, the word "faith" means "a willingness to suspend one's judgements while unconventional possibilities are explored." In this way, faith is very scientific and very necessary for the pursuit of knowledge, whether it be scientific or religious knowledge.

When we resign ourself to ideas without logical or material evidence, we are not acting in faith. We are acting in sloth, which is the opposite of faith. Faith implies a kind of vigilience, a kind of willingness to accept the truth, whatever that may turn out to be. Simply believing in something because it is convenient or because we are afraid to believe something else is not faith. It is belief. Science cannot progress without an element of faith at it's core. Without faith, the scientific process begins to degenerate. In the same way, when religions lose their quality of faith, they begin to degenerate. It is because without faith, the wish to move forward is supplanted by the desire to maintain what is presently known and understood.

At present, we believe that the desire to maintain a status-quo is something which is properly associated with the word "faith". We believe this because many groups of people who profess to have faith in fact have none, and have only the desire to maintain what is presently known and understood. We need to understand compassionately that such people are not faithful people, and not allow them to destroy our understanding of faith and it's benefits.

If we have a belief, and some new information arrives which undermines our belief and threatens to replace it with a new one, a person with faith will happily accept the change. This is as relevant to science as it is to religion. The difference is that the scientific community right now demonstrates this capacity more readily than the most visible religious communities. Many scientific circles demonstrate a lack of faith, but these are less visible because we have such a high opinion of science. For example, many classical physicists are quick to reject modern physics because it undermines the old principles. By the same token, many religious circles are free from the destructive influence of dogma, but these are almost invisible to us because we have such a low opinion of religion. For example, in Tibetan Buddhism and Taoism, as well as some Christian schools, it is the primary directive that the disciple should verify what is taught for themselves.

Faith without reason is sloth, and reason without faith is idle. We need to combine the two if we wish to progess on any path toward knowledge and insight.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
Re: Faith and Reason [Re: Ped]
    #3978081 - 03/28/05 12:07 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Faith implies a kind of vigilience, a kind of willingness to accept the truth, whatever that may turn out to be. Simply believing in something because it is convenient or because we are afraid to believe something else is not faith.

:thumbup:

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

InvisibleeMotionALLmotion
DivineeMotive....

Loc: The Symphony of Lights......
    #3978284 - 03/28/05 01:01 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Ped said:
Quote:

Faith implies a kind of vigilience, a kind of willingness to accept the truth, whatever that may turn out to be. Simply believing in something because it is convenient or because we are afraid to believe something else is not faith.

HHhhhmmmm....  Are you attempting to describe what "Faith" means to me, or to you....?  (you kept saying "we"....)    :wink:
I have faith that you might believe when I say, "Thank you, but I will decide myself what "Faith" means to me"....  :grin:   

Hope ya~ had a nice Easter....!    :heart:

:sun:

--------------------
Uni-VersALL      MasterPeace
eMotive  :sun: Divinity NowThere Infinity :sun:  eMelody

Invisibleuriahchase
Skinny White Boy
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Cat-a-pult, Pingu Slap

Loc: SoCal
Re: Faith and Reason [Re: eMotionALLmotion]
    #3979769 - 03/28/05 12:19 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Faith= being the first to test out a parachute from a mile high.
Reason= pointing out all the things that could occur by jumping out da plane.

reasoning,rationalizing,justification....all bi-products of yellow belly syndrome.

--------------------
Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are -Kurt Cobain

Hotter than the left sink handle.

OfflineFelinor
PhilosophicalDreamer
Male

Loc: Down Town China Town
    #8195144 - 03/26/08 04:55 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

If we combine faith and reason wouldn't we be stuck with one true answer? We might as well die since our answers have been all answered. That's self defeating, Maybe why it wont happen to the extent needed.

--------------------
The world itself is the will to power - and nothing else! And you yourself are the will to power - and nothing else! ~Friedrich Nietzsche

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Re: Faith and Reason [Re: Felinor]
    #8195427 - 03/26/08 08:22 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Wow.

This thread is four years old.

I was going to say how I don't remember seeing Skorpivo around in a while...

OfflineLion
Decadent Flower Magnate
Male User Gallery

#8195498 - 03/26/08 08:59 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Faith implies a kind of vigilience, a kind of willingness to accept the truth, whatever that may turn out to be.

Does faith really imply that? I think the word's connotations in our society do not imply that at all, but the opposite: the willingness to cling to one version of truth in the face of contradictory viewpoints, even against scientific evidence (like Creationism vs. dinosaurs). Why use the word faith at all? Certainly one must suspend judgment if one is to analyze objectively...I don't see that as faith, really, as much as open-mindedness. I see what you are saying when you use the word, I just think it is meaningless because of all its baggage, like 'God'.

--------------------

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Too fucking cute!
 User Gallery

Loc: Meadow
Re: Faith and Reason [Re: Lion]
    #8195533 - 03/26/08 09:17 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I just think it is meaningless because of all its baggage, like 'God'.

Or like 'Samsonite'...

--------------------

OfflineLion
Decadent Flower Magnate
Male User Gallery

Re: Faith and Reason [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #8195542 - 03/26/08 09:21 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

JacquesCousteau said:
Wow.

This thread is four years old.

I was going to say how I don't remember seeing Skorpivo around in a while...

Oh wow, I definitely did not realize that when I posted. :blush:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology