Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Half-assed Christians
    #3964643 - 03/24/05 01:58 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Do half-assed Christians bother you?

In my opinion, a person's religion is of the utmost importance to who they are. This system of beliefs tells a person what is right, what is wrong, what you should strive for, and how reality came into being and how it is ordered.

Because of the extreme importance of the ideals that religions put forth, I think any self-proclaimed member should take it very seriously. They need to be very educated about their faith and make it the center of their existence. Yet, so many people don't. They say they belong to a certain religious group, yet they put practically no effort into their faith.

Does anybody watch "Nick and Jessica: Newlyweds" on MTV? Jessica Simpson is the perfect example. She was raised in a very Christian household. When she first became a singer, she started on the Christian singing circuit. She loudly proclaimed how she would remain a virgin until she was married. Yet, on the show, what do we see? We see her more concerned about and knowledgable of Gucci handbags and designer jeans than about God or the Christian faith. I remember seeing a scene where Jessica and Ashlee Simpson were at a family gathering and their father was trying to tell a story from the Bible and explain its significance. The girls were so ditzy, vapid, and talkative that they didn't even let him finish. Even if they had let him finish, I doubt they would have understood what their father was trying to say.

I know so many people like that; people who were raised in Christian households(where the parents are very knowledgeable of and dedicated to their faith) and they are at best dilettantes of the faith.

Does this bother anybody? I myself am not a Christian but I am more knowledgable about the faith than most of its members it seems.

I might add that I have met some very knowledgable and respectable Christians. These people were some of the best people I have ever met.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledr_gonz
Re: Half-assed Christians [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3964654 - 03/24/05 02:02 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Every christian I've met has been half-assed, and extremely hypocritical!

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Loc: The Womb of Love
Re: Half-assed Christians [Re: dr_gonz]
    #3964668 - 03/24/05 02:05 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Ive met a bunch of closed minded ignorant ones, and a bunch of open minded knowledgeable ones. All of which have taught me something useful. They only bother me when they deiced to knock on my door and quote pages from the bible. Thats just being pushy and exactly the kind of action which is making thew general public more and more adverse to religion.

--------------------
All you need is Love! Really thats it! Infinite Unconditional Love! Just develop that and all else will fall into place perfectly!

Edited by egghead1 (03/24/05 02:12 PM)

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Half-assed Christians [Re: egghead1]
    #3964742 - 03/24/05 02:21 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I prefer a philosophy to a reliqion anyday. Most reliqions are dogmatic. They are for folks who don't want to bother to ask their own questions about life. IMO there looking for someone to tell them whats right and wrong. Then they aren't responsible as long as they follow the letter of the law that someone else has interpeted for them.

We see alot of Christians and so we think they are pretty bad, but all reliqions and their followers IME are pretty much the same. A few individuals are exceptions but not worth mentioning. Usually they are moving up the spiritual ladder and won't stay in that religion for long.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Half-assed Christians [Re: Icelander]
    #3964812 - 03/24/05 02:34 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Most reliqions are dogmatic. They are for folks who don't want to bother to ask their own questions about life. IMO there looking for someone to tell them whats right and wrong.

This was not the point I was trying to get across. I was not complaining about dogmatic religious people. I was complaining about people who don't take their faith seriously.

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Frogger

Loc: space
    #3964856 - 03/24/05 02:42 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

RandalFlagg said:

Does this bother anybody? I myself am not a Christian but I am more knowledgable about the faith than most of its members it seems.

yes. Especially when tose same Christians judge you for not wearing their label. My mom is a hardcore christian, and she spends hundreds a month on uneccesary medication. I've never met anyone in my life who claimed to have soooo much faith in God and yet was terrified of death and fascinated with meaningless material things.

Quote:

I might add that I have met some very knowledgable and respectable Christians. These people were some of the best people I have ever met.

Yes, those who truly understand christ are very cool, but there arent many of them and temptaion seems to cut many of them down before their prime.

--------------------
peace, pot, and microdot!

OfflineKungFu_Shaman
naive and lovingit

Loc: noitacaol cihpargoeg
Re: Half-assed Christians [Re: DoctorJ]
    #3964963 - 03/24/05 03:09 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:
"This was not the point I was trying to get across. I was not complaining about dogmatic religious people. I was complaining about people who don't take their faith seriously."

I completely agree with you, but I don't think it can be limited to just Christians. I've met plenty of half-assed Muslims, Jews, Buddhists and Hindus. I think it is just symptomatic of the human race to be apethetic towards many things. The apathy towards religion just seems so much worse because, as you said, religion helps define all aspects of a person's life, from what reality is, to the moral laws to follow. When such important issues are drowned out by apathy or Gucci Handbags, it is much more evident than being apathetic about, let's say, your job.

--------------------
Feel the wrath of Skeletor's breakfast burrito!

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #3965024 - 03/24/05 03:22 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

RandalFlagg said:

Most reliqions are dogmatic. They are for folks who don't want to bother to ask their own questions about life. IMO there looking for someone to tell them whats right and wrong.

This was not the point I was trying to get across.  I was not complaining about dogmatic religious people.  I was complaining about people who don't take their faith seriously.

But that's it. IMO a reliqion is impossible to take seriously because it is based on a false premise.

If you mean why don't people follow the rules and regulations of their choosen religion, thats easy. Humans are lazy and weak for the most part. But still that ties into my above post.

Hey maybe I just got into the wrong topic. If so, Sorry. :smile:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #3965284 - 03/24/05 04:32 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I am really sure that people want to watch a show were Jessica Simpson talks about her religion and God...get real.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology