Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineDead Shaman
enthusiast

Loc: Unknown
The search for immortality
    #383544 - 09/01/01 08:40 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

I was just watching American Beauty, which just happens to be one of my favorite movies, well anyways I was intrigued by how Ricky recorded everything and how his room was all full of videos, as if he was trying to immortalize everything he saw. I realized that this is a common ambition for people to want to immortalize themselves in some way. Artists, scientists, musicians, directors, architects, ect. All immortalizing themselves through creation. I guess most people usually just settle down and let nature take over, realizing the most evident path for immortalizing themselves. But science will eventually unravel the mysteries of human genetics anyway, and solve the puzzle of immortality. Which poses problems in and of itself, but, so it goes.

"And then you will realize the truth; there is no spoom."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleinbetween
addict
Loc: maps
Re: The search for immortality [Re: Dead Shaman]
    #383553 - 09/01/01 08:57 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

I think the point is that we have been video taping everything from the begining, everything we need is already stored in our memory. We don't need actual video tapes (though sometimes they can set the memory wheels in motion) they tend to be an excuse not to use our memory which would change us and be treatening to our self-concept if we really explored them. Some externalization is necessary I think. Some form of ritual to denote meaning. Any form of art is appropriate. Dream analysis. Journalling. All three, plus scientific study and active friendships if you can keep it all happening. That's magic. That's beauty. I wonder how immortality fits into this though, in your opinion, dead shaman?

my vocabulary did this to me

--------------------
my vocabulary did this to me

Offlinejonnyshaggs420
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mid-West
    #383676 - 09/02/01 12:02 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

I think ricky was just video taping everything, because like only a few of us he saw the true beauty in everything and wanted to perhaps immortilize that beauty rather than immortilize himself.

I think the only way to acheive immortality is through death. Death is immortal.

Novelty

Dr Bluethumb

--------------------
Vote Jonnyshaggs in the next election for GOD...Its the responsible choice

OfflineEuphoricDream
Seeker

#383734 - 09/02/01 02:17 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah American Beauty is definently one of the best movies out there. I can watch that movie over and over (I love that music they play... its kinda like the theme music...they play it in the scene where ricki and jane are watching the most beautiful thing ricki has ever seen. I think that when you say that ricki is trying to immortalize everything you are right. I think that in American Beauty ever character has one major flaw with them, and that they can all teach us something about life. I think that rickis problem is that he is not able to live in the moment. He tries to hold to hold on to every moment and he does this by video taping things. AT the end when Kevin Spacey dies he starts having that flashback. During that scene he says something to the effect of "i didnt try to hold on to everymoment to hard ... i just lived" its something to that effect and i think that that kind of refers back to how ricki records everything.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order