Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineEarth_Droid
Stranger
Re: immortality [Re: sh1ver]
    #1842887 - 08/23/03 07:42 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Since the speed of light is measured at a certain speed, that must mean that time exists, so how can it be stopped?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
Re: immortality [Re: Earth_Droid]
    #1842913 - 08/23/03 08:21 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

What happens is that time slows down in comparison to the time of a stationary clock. Relativity is saying that all clocks are stationary from their own perspective. Now as a moving object approaches the speed of light, the slowing-down factor approaches infinity. So when taken to the limit this implies that zero time passes in the perspective of a photon between its emission and absorption.

Offlinesh1ver
Stranger
Re: immortality [Re: Earth_Droid]
    #1842926 - 08/23/03 08:31 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Time belongs to the relative of the world of phenomena, of experience. Time has no inherent existence because it does not exist in the present moment. It's impossible to pin it down at the beginning, during, or at the end of a given period. If we divide a period of time into a beginning, a middle, and an end, then it's clear that the whole doesnt exist in any one of these three parts. Nor does the period exist apart from its beginning, middle, and end. Thus "a period of time" is a purely conventional notion. Time, like space, exists only in relation to our experience; it is a concept linked to a perceptible change.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: immortality [Re: sh1ver]
    #1843108 - 08/23/03 10:43 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Which is why so many people seek to live in the "eternal now moment". It is a great experience to be in that state, I've only accomplished it on mushrooms, sleep deprivation, or fasting (went two days once, hehe. I could have went longer, but I decided not to, and it actually sucked to eat, hurt a lot)

Once I was on sleep deprivation AND a light dosage of mushrooms, that was a great Sunday afternoon! Walking around the neighborhood, it was a nice day out, the colours were so vibrant and real.. it didn't matter what I did, it was just the experience.

I don't think I've ever really had 100% here and nowness, with no recoginition of the passing of time, but being that close felt great. I think that for most of the time, we need to have some knowledge that time has passed, at least a watch on our arm that says it has been this long, time to go here or to work.. even if you really didn't feel the time pass by.

Another thing I need to actively work at to accomplish..
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Offlinesh1ver
Stranger
Re: immortality [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1844127 - 08/23/03 08:10 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

We probably feel the passing of time because of our cerebal activity. Data concerning the external world are transmitted by our sensory organs to our brain, which incorporates them into a mental picture. This cerebal activity brings into play simultaneously several seperate regions of the brain with different functions. According to the neurobiologist Francisco Varela, it's the complexity of bringing together and intergrating these various parts of the brain that gives us the sensation of time. This orchestrated, synchronous activity of large, discrete sets of neurons, among the hundreds of billions in the human brain, creates what scientists call an "emergent" biological state, that is to say a state, in this case the consciousness of time, that is more than the sum of its parts. Since this state lasts from a few tens to a few hundreds of a millisecond, we have the sensation of "now", of a present with a duration. But the synchronization of neurons is unstable and doesnt last. Its instability sets off other synchronous groupings of neurons, producing a succession of emergent states. They then give us the sensation of time passing. Each emergent state forks off from the preceding one, so that the previous one is still present in the succeeding one. This gives us the impression that time is continuous.

Offlineblahblah
Stranger
Re: The Case Against Immortality [Re: Swami]
    #1844610 - 08/23/03 11:34 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

An essential fundamental distinction is the difference between survival of bodily death and immortality. Survival implies only the continued existence of the personality after the physical death of the body without specifying whether that existence is eternal or eventually leads to annihilation (Edwards, "Introduction" 2).

This an old distinction. not relative to the current times. Unless he's referring to a specific religion, which he didn't.. Some of the empirical studies are basing on this outdated assumption.

they don't have a broader understanding of studying one aspect (ie: past life regressions) means opening up interdependence with another aspect and another and so on. This is a mine field when only one part is studied, exclusively. They can't see the rest of the mind field. Blindsided. The results will reflect such.

rhizoid:

Quote:

The long description of the parapsychology experiments is a good refutation of the claims that real scientist don't take parapsychology seriously. I especially liked the experiment with the screen that flashed messages to people having out-of-body experiences, and the experiment where a computer program outperformed psychic mediums when trying to receive a message from the dead.

*Abnormal* perception and awareness (OBE) + unknown down-time processing + non-compliant tech = mixed test results

OBE is like taking a dose of level 4. The person can good at OBE, doens't mean she/he can store and retrieve the memories with total accuracy after. this study didn't standardized the good from the bad OBErs - experienced and trained, or none at all.

all I'm seeing here is a sure-fire way to shoot OBE phenomenon down the crapper with this lack of understanding and researching fairer methods to regulate the study. One of them is the researchers should have experience with OBE. At least, they'll have a clue on how to design the study with better control on unknown variables.

Bah

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: The Case Against Immortality [Re: blahblah]
    #1844872 - 08/24/03 02:47 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

this study didn't standardized the good from the bad OBErs - experienced and trained, or none at all.

Uh-huh. Because there is no difference. The Swami Challenge invited all levels of experienced OBEers to remote view my object d'art. All levels failed. It would have taken only ONE correct answer to convince me. Guess that is somehow biased.

Why is it that the BEST the claimants for parapsychology can come up with is endless excuses for why the tests fail?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
Re: The Case Against Immortality [Re: blahblah]
    #1845027 - 08/24/03 07:32 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

An essential fundamental distinction is the difference between survival of bodily death and immortality. Survival implies only the continued existence of the personality after the physical death of the body without specifying whether that existence is eternal or eventually leads to annihilation (Edwards, "Introduction" 2).

This an old distinction. not relative to the current times. Unless he's referring to a specific religion, which he didn't.. Some of the empirical studies are basing on this outdated assumption.

Could you clarify this a bit? How does the distinction between eternal and non-eternal survival of the personality invalidate any of the empirical studies mentioned?

Quote:

they don't have a broader understanding of studying one aspect (ie: past life regressions) means opening up interdependence with another aspect and another and so on. This is a mine field when only one part is studied, exclusively. They can't see the rest of the mind field. Blindsided. The results will reflect such.

Can you give an example of such an interdependence, and how it skews the empirical results in such a way that the claimed effects always disappear?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies