Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Professor Refuses Apology for 9/11 Essay
    #3740540 - 02/06/05 02:03 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=st...speaker_protest

Professor Refuses Apology for 9/11 Essay

43 minutes ago U.S. National - AP

DENVER - A professor who likened World Trade Center victims to a notorious Nazi refused to apologize but said his treatise was a "gut response" to the terrorist attacks.

"I don't believe I owe an apology," Ward Churchill said Friday on CNN's "Paula Zahn Now" program ? his first public comments since the University of Colorado began a review that could lead to his dismissal.

Meanwhile, Wheaton College in Norton, Mass., and Eastern Washington University canceled plans for Churchill to speak on campus, citing public safety concerns. Stephen Jordan, president of Eastern Washington University, declined Friday to say whether specific threats had been made.

Churchill defended the essay in which he compared those killed in the Sept. 11 attack to "little Eichmanns," a reference to Adolf Eichmann, who organized Nazi plans to exterminate European Jews. He said the victims were akin to U.S. military operations' collateral damage ? or innocent civilians mistakenly killed by soldiers.

"I don't know if the people of 9-11 specifically wanted to kill everybody that was killed," he told Zahn. "It was just worth it to them in order to do whatever it was they decided it was necessary to do that bystanders be killed. And that essentially is the same mentality, the same rubric."

In an interview published Saturday in the Rocky Mountain News, Churchill added, "This was a gut response opinion speech written in about four hours. It's not completely reasoned and thought through."

Churchill said his speech had been misinterpreted. "I never called for the deaths of millions of Americans," he said.

Early editions of the Sunday Denver Post reported Churchill gave another magazine interview in which he was asked about the effectiveness of protests of U.S. policies and the Iraq (news - web sites) war, and responded: "One of the things I've suggested is that it may be that more 9/11s are necessary."

The interview prompted Gov. Bill Owens to renew his call for Churchill's firing.

"It's amazing that the more we look at Ward Churchill, the more outrageous, treasonous statements we hear from Churchill," Owens said.

The furor over Churchill's essay erupted last month after he was invited to speak at Hamilton College in Clinton, N.Y. The speech was later canceled.

Churchill, who recently resigned as chairman of the ethnic studies department but remains a tenured professor, said he would sue if he were dismissed.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: Professor Refuses Apology for 9/11 Essay [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3740613 - 02/06/05 02:40 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Churchill, who recently resigned as chairman of the ethnic studies department but remains a tenured professor, said he would sue if he were dismissed.

Heh, well thats one way to achieve job security.

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
Re: Professor Refuses Apology for 9/11 Essay [Re: Catalysis]
    #3740799 - 02/06/05 03:28 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I don't agree with his stance, nor the message of his essay, but It's his right to say whatever the fuck he wants :smile:.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Professor Refuses Apology for 9/11 Essay [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #3741056 - 02/06/05 04:38 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

And I have the right, no, the obligation to villify him for it.

--------------------

OfflineSWEDEN
Miracle of Science

Loc: PNW
Re: Professor Refuses Apology for 9/11 Essay [Re: zappaisgod]
    #3741079 - 02/06/05 04:44 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I feel sorry for his students.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Professor Refuses Apology for 9/11 Essay [Re: SWEDEN]
    #3741238 - 02/06/05 05:24 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

One of his senior students was quoted, defending him, as saying, "It's just a theory, it doesn't have anything to do with facts." Or something really close to that. See the other thread about this fuck for the exact one. I, myself, don't feel that sorry for them. If you go to university and you pursue this kind of garbage, you can find it. But it's still your fault for accepting it. After all, we're not talking elementary school here.

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #3741534 - 02/06/05 06:38 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I would pay money to see statistics on students who are majoring in "ethnic studies" at University of Colorado at Boulder.  Like how long it usually takes them to graduate, if they even had jobs after college, etc...

I was watching Fox News(I know...I know....) and they showed a clip of one of this guy's students shouting at some body(I think it was the council that is in charge of the University or something) in support of the professor.  Fox News of course tries to make the Left look bad at every chance and they mentioned that the student was a "5th year senior".  :rotfl:

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Professor Refuses Apology for 9/11 Essay [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3741875 - 02/06/05 08:11 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Was it as good for you as it was for me? If we share a smoke are we homos?

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#3742188 - 02/06/05 09:23 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

More on Ward the Fraud. Apparently his UC resume cites a BA and MA in communications from "Sangaman State University" Well, Sangaman doesn't exist but Sangamon did. It's now the University of Illinois at Springfield but I came across this charming little description of what it used to be like.
http://raw360.com/index.php?itemid=1636&catid=14
How the fuck a tool like this without even a PhD could become tenured and head of a department is quite an indictment of UC. No wonder they lead the nation in athlete rapes and alcohol poisoning deaths.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion