Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
Ayn Rand: The Roots of War
    #3693731 - 01/28/05 01:57 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Here's an interesting piece on Ayn Rand, Objectivism, "Objectivists" and war... Ayn Rand: The Roots of War.

Your comments are appreciated.

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineskystone
stop the motion
Loc: state,country,etc.
Re: Ayn Rand: The Roots of War [Re: Prosgeopax]
    #3693935 - 01/28/05 03:00 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

More talk about slavery comming from the land of the free

--------------------
"..and suddenly it began to rain"

InvisibleClark
Bar RoomSuperman

Re: Ayn Rand: The Roots of War [Re: skystone]
    #3694675 - 01/28/05 05:52 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Recent events have led me to believe that industrialists of the sort Rand worshipped have a good deal to do with the root causes of war.

--------------------

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Re: Ayn Rand: The Roots of War [Re: Clark]
    #3694873 - 01/28/05 06:28 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Clark said:
Recent events have led me to believe that industrialists of the sort Rand worshipped have a good deal to do with the root causes of war.

Au contraire, Rand would never have sanctioned crony capitalism (government favoritism to SOME businesses at the expense of the taxpayer) which we see with the military industrial complex and the neocons. She was adamantly opposed to this sort of thing, considering it a form of collectivism. She showed disdain for both fascism and communism and expressed the idea that they were both rooted in the same anti-individualist mindset. She was however, fully supportive of the TRULY free market, where no businesses or individuals should be hampered nor shown favoritism by the government. It was her opinion that,"The only proper, moral purpose of a government is to protect man?s rights, which means: to protect him from physical violence?to protect his right to his own life, to his own liberty, to his own property, and to the pursuit of his own happiness? (?The Objectivist Ethics,? Ayn Rand). This led her to the conclusion that the only legitimate functions of a government are to provide a police force to protect the rights of citizens at home; national defense, to protect the rights of citizens from foreign aggression; and a court system to enforce contracts and settle disputes between citizens.

--------------------

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

Edited by Prosgeopax (01/28/05 06:38 PM)

InvisibleClark
Bar RoomSuperman

#3695058 - 01/28/05 07:01 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Prosgeopax said:
This led her to the conclusion that the only legitimate functions of a government are to provide a police force to protect the rights of citizens at home; national defense, to protect the rights of citizens from foreign aggression; and a court system to enforce contracts and settle disputes between citizens.

Rand was big on stomping out oppression. Except for the oppression of laboring 60 hours a week for subsistance wages -- a reality that many in the West endured when Capitolism operated under what she would no doubt consider "freer" conditions.

--------------------

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Re: Ayn Rand: The Roots of War [Re: Clark]
    #3695168 - 01/28/05 07:22 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

This thread is about war and objectivist ethics. That you are unable to distinguish between voluntary employment and oppression has nothing to do with the topic at hand. If you would like to start another thread in which to jumble these two concepts together, please do so.

--------------------

- Tom Willhite

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #3695617 - 01/28/05 09:07 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

If you would like to start another thread in which to jumble these two concepts together, please do so.

You have certainly missed the entire "fun" part of S&P.  :wink:

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom