Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblewind_wraith
veteran
the Zulu "red mushroom"
    #356593 - 07/17/01 11:21 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

I watched a program tonight on the Zulu; apparently they have something called the "red mushroom" which traditionally was used for ferocious strength in battle. Side-effects included hallucinations and the familiar "red shift". Apparently muscimol is the active ingredient. Anyone know what these things are? Some sort of Amanita, maybe?

I am a figment of my own imagination
http://go.to/FreeSporeRing

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePotSmokinHippie
Pothead

Loc: New york
Re: the Zulu "red mushroom" [Re: wind_wraith]
    #356644 - 07/18/01 02:25 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Sounds like Amanita Muscaria to me.

The thing people don't realize is that lions are very kind and gentle creatures, until they try to rip your head off.

--------------------
"assumption is the mother of all fuckup" - me

Invisiblewind_wraith
veteran
Re: the Zulu "red mushroom" [Re: PotSmokinHippie]
    #356807 - 07/18/01 01:50 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

A fly agaric would make sense, particularly as the caps are red. Kinda makes me want to try an Amanita sometime. Not enjoyable but probably very different.

--------------------

Offlinesupairish
Stranger

Loc: AZ
    #356869 - 07/18/01 04:47 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

I saw that program also, it was very interesting. Those guys would get fucked up and kill as many british soldiers as possible!! Must have been a good strain :)

jobless

--------------------
jobless

Offlinealuminum_can
addict
Loc: california, orange
    #356871 - 07/18/01 04:56 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

i need to get me some of those spores!!! i also heard that the vikings would eat amanitas before battle!!! this made them think thy were fighting monsters, and thats why theyd cut people in half with huge axes!! ive only heard negative feedback from people whouve done amanitas

just because you stick feathers up youre butt does not make you a chicken.

--------------------
the little kridders of nature; they dont know that thyre ugly!

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan
Re: the Zulu "red mushroom" [Re: aluminum_can]
    #356875 - 07/18/01 05:14 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

aminita muscaria is the mushroom :)
the warriors were called berserkers.
the spores would be useless to you as they cannot by cultivated. perhaps of you injected them into a coniferous tree root network and waited a few years. but youd probably have more luck simply huntingfor them.

a muscimol-induced berserker would have been irritable, ill, blind to pain, and somewhat insane. most importanly tho, irritable. :)

dans le silence du poisson-lune
plilosophait au fond des brumnes

OfflineMaxawow
enthusiast
Re: the Zulu "red mushroom" [Re: Mitchnast]
    #357068 - 07/18/01 11:28 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

I have heard that some people really like the effects of the Fly Agaric. I guess it's effects can vary. But heard it can be like a narcotic, delerium high a little bit like being drunk but with more of a stimulant effect. I've heard from some people who like them even more than psilocybes. I might try them out myself sometime.

---Its like being stoned in 3-D!

--------------------

Invisiblewind_wraith
veteran
    #357270 - 07/19/01 11:15 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Berserkers, that's them :smile:
Fly agaric would be the shroom for me if I just wanted to kill, kill, kill, and didn't mind getting slashed to ribbons in the process.  It does sound more like a "delirium high" than a proper psychadelic, tho.

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #357361 - 07/19/01 06:17 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

Mitchnast and Aluminum Can,

sorry to disappoint you but I have in my files a letter from Ethnobotanist Richard Evan Schultes, Co-author with Albert Hofmann (Father of LSD) of The Plants of the Gods and The Botany and Chemistry of the Hallucinogens. Dr. Schultes wrote me that the VikingTheory had since been disproven (the letter is 1994) and the alleged drink which caused them to earn the epithet of Beserkers is no longer associated with the Amanita mushroom.

However he also noted that they have no other plant to offer as the source of beserkness.

If you have eaten psilocybine mushrooms or even Amanita, you would never be able to go out and beserk someones head off while high on the tranquil peacefull effects of Psilocybe or the uncomfotrtable stomach aches and cramps and nausea often associated with Amanita intoxification.

Mj

Have a shroomy day and may all of your days be shroomy.

OfflineMaxawow
enthusiast
    #357363 - 07/19/01 06:19 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

I dont think the effects of this mushroom would nessesarily make you violent or want to kill. I have heard many reports of people intoxicated from the fly agaric who wanted nothing more than to sing and dance. The siberian reindeer herders would often use this mushroom and prefered it over alcohal, saying the effects are much more enjoyable and without the unpleasant hangover that alcohal has. I have also read that the fly agaric experience can range from being like heaven *or* hell. Some people have reported being quite terrified of the experience while others report of a most blissful jouney. From all I've read, I think these mushrooms are more than just a delirium high. A very mysterious mushroom indeed.

Edited by Maxawow on 07/19/01 07:27 PM.

--------------------

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan
Re: the Zulu "red mushroom" [Re: mjshroomer]
    #357376 - 07/19/01 06:48 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

perhaps its not true, but it is the tale ive heard many times.
one step further tho, same area, a few hundred years down the line in Nazi germany. wasnt it the practice so doll out crank to german soldiers? id say most likely that methamphetamines would be a likely suspect for the berserker.
one thing i know tho, if i had consumed aminita muscaria and i was a big dumb viking warrior or germanic barbarian who knew only fighting id probably feel like punching something,
oh yes, and ive never heard any legend of this being a norse or viking practice, the tales ive heard were always that of germanic barbarians. hmmm, ever read/watch asterix? diddnt he drink some potion that gave him great stregnth? those wacky french (from france) cartoonists! they made the smurfs too. makes you think :)
tho asterix was a gaul, thats early france, still tho. i think it was once part of germania. there were cetainly barbarians in both germany and france as they were inhabitants of the rhineland. (sorta inbetween) and these war-like people gave way (ive read) to the war-like prussians. word history. bah. i dont beleive anybody can proove/disproove with %100 certainty a legend like the berserker-muscimol reference. whether they used them for fighting or not, they probably used them for something. after all, germany, christmas trees, easterbunny, etc. that whole area of europe has alot of cultural references to the mushroom.
still tho, the timeline in question here is BEFORE the renaissance and therefore their isnt much surviving evidance to support anything those who could read/write diddnt have time to write trip reports and medicinal recipies that would last hundreds of years. they were buisy figtinh and being paid to chronologue the great feats of their powerful masters.
it would be a fun time to live, there was chaos and man diddnt fear stupid shit like today. ex. debt, hair-loss, social image, self-image. etc. it was a simple time

dans le silence du poisson-lune
plilosophait au fond des brumnes

Invisiblewind_wraith
veteran
    #358095 - 07/20/01 11:17 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

I think probably a stimulant/hallucinogen like muscimol would tend to intensify any given experience, be it the fury of battle, the beauty of a starry night, the passion of sex, whatever.  I'm just talking through my ass, though, as I have no experience with drugs other than shrooms and alcohol.  And some nasty hospital anaesthetic which sent me into the wildest, wickedest hallucinatory state imaginable.  What a horror trip that was.  What I think of as "delirium highs" are the sort of fevered hallucinations you get when you've been without sleep for a week, are suffering carbon monoxide poisoning, and other unpleasant brain-damaging stuff.  I guess the fly agaric experience isn't like that, although it sounds pretty heavy to me.

Mitchnast I agree, I'll take "real", vivid life over safety and comfort any day.

"Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television. Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance..."

But the Smurfs are Belgian :tongue:

--------------------

Offlinethegoldenteacher
enthusiast
Loc: central NC
    #358238 - 07/21/01 09:55 AM (22 years, 8 months ago)

I remember reading an article recently that a few years back a couple ethnobotanists cultivated am.'s It wasnt that hard they said, setting is all that matters, has to have tree roots, other than that they said letting it do what its programmed to do(bind to the tree) isnt hard.

Originally no one is deluded.
-bankei

--------------------
peace, happiness, love, girls, joy, euphoria, warmth, fuzzy, girls, touch, feeling, girls.
-me

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies