Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
Emotions, Spirituality, and Decision making
    #3493842 - 12/13/04 07:45 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

How many of you find in hindsight that certain decisions you made in your life were made based upon emotion? At the time you "thought" you were being reasonable, but you were really in "monkey mode"? Also, when you finally made that realization, after the volcanic ash had settled, did you go back and make amends to the one you wronged, or did you stubbornly cling to your misguided decision? Did your spirituality come into play here?

Just to be fair, I'll give you an example from my own life: I operate and administer a Half-Life server- one of them first-person shoot 'em up games. Competition can get pretty fierce when you're playing, and like anybody, I prefer to win. Well, during the first few months of running my server (and also playing on it) I ran into this opponent- 'Rolled Up Newspaper of Justice' was his name. And let me tell you, he came on and beat me like a rented mule. Finally, after one particularly brilliant move which killed me, I went for the the ban button. Banned his ass. See, I thought he had to be cheating to beat me. After all, I'm this wonderful fighter right? The only way he could possibly dominate me like that was if he was breaking the rules dammit! Trouble is, I couldn't really point to any rule he had broken.

Only later did I begin to regret my decision. "Later" arrived when I came to my senses; I realized my mistake and unbanned him. And you know what? I played him again for the first time in years just a couple of weeks ago. Even after all this time, when I saw that name in the players list, my heart started racing, my vision sharpened, and I went in for the kill! Here was the hated bully who (to me) rubbed my face in it all those times when I was a "newb". And you know what? I beat him like a drum!! Deliberately targetted his ass, brushing aside other easier targets. (He said he hadn't played in many months and he had to have been rusty). And you know what else I did? After one particularly brilliant kill on him.. I laughed.

I don't know if he even noticed- I don't think it bothered him, but it bothered me. You see, in that moment I realized that this man was not only an opponent, but he was also my teacher! (Wow. You can be both!) He had made me a better player! And he had done so honorably with no meanness whatsoever. And what did he get for his reward? A stupid laugh. Boy, did I feel like crap.

You know, I hope I see that guy again so I can apologize and thank him for making me into a great Half-Life player.

Anyone else have any stories like this or thoughts to share on how emotions affect us fallible humans?

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

Edited by Jellric (12/13/04 08:01 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
Re: Emotions, Spirituality, and Decision making [Re: Jellric]
    #3493972 - 12/13/04 08:01 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

many times I have seen myself do this over and over.

I had invited all of my friends to come over my house to celebrate my birthday.  no one was home and thus was a cool opportunity to get my friends together, especially since they don't come over my house often, I normally go over theirs.

so anyway, no one showed up cause they all forgot and I ensued to get all "butt-hurt" about it.  after I was thinking it was my b-day, and it was an invitation by me to them.  notice the self righteous ego-play here. 

none of them called me for a couple of days, and then one of them did and asked me to go bowling.  well my ego was still "butt-0hurt" from it and I said "hell no"

then he felt dissed (with good reason) and later on I realized what I was doing was childish.  I called him up and told him that we've been friends for quite some time and that what I did was inappropriate and downright stupid. my intent was to hurt him, even though his intent wasn't that same, and he got mad before I apologized to him.  he still never apologized to me about skipping out on my party, and I'd rather keep it that way  :grin:

so jellric...who's anger was valid?

mine or his?

who's "fault" was it that they got mad...

mine (for being butthurt about no one coming over) or his (for being butthurt over me dissing him)? 

:wink:

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

InvisibleGustavius
Stranger
    #3493985 - 12/13/04 08:03 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

i once came on the the bosses daughter at a chritsmas party when i was totaly wasted. big time regret man. is that what you mean?

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Re: Emotions, Spirituality, and Decision making [Re: kaiowas]
    #3494026 - 12/13/04 08:10 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

so jellric...who's anger was valid?

mine or his?

Why does it have to be one or the other?

Isn't that dualism?

--------------------

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Re: Emotions, Spirituality, and Decision making [Re: Gustavius]
    #3494034 - 12/13/04 08:12 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

i once came on the the bosses daughter at a chritsmas party when i was totaly wasted. big time regret man. is that what you mean?

That depends.

How attractive was she?

--------------------

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #3494059 - 12/13/04 08:16 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

that was an assumption on your part

my answer would be both...we are all responsible for our own emotions.

btw...not to be offtopic...but what's wrong with dualism?

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Re: Emotions, Spirituality, and Decision making [Re: kaiowas]
    #3494101 - 12/13/04 08:23 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for your question, Kaoiwas. I will open up a seperate thread on dualism. I don't claim to be an expert on it and am mainly interested in others opinions. Personally, I equate it with Black or White thinking (false choices), but I may be wrong. *gasp*

Also, I tend to agree with your conclusion.

As for Gustavius, come on man! How hot was she?!

--------------------

Invisibleadrug

#3494127 - 12/13/04 08:27 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I'm a very emotional person, although I'm usually pretty good at keeping it under the surface. Only now am I starting to look back and realize that many of the decisions I've made for myself in the past were done completely on impulse and were the result of being ruled by my emotions, as opposed to using logic and rational thinking. Quite the revelation, but it is helping me learn how to separate myself from my emotions, so to speak. I can't say I'm 100% successful at this, nor would I want to be, but I'm definitely better at controlling my impulses than I was previously.

Reading your post again, I don't know how I got so sidetracked, but I originally intended to touch on the whole 'abuse of power' angle in relation to my ops in #shroomery. :smirk: I will admit, sometimes I get carried away and start kicking first and asking questions later, especially when I am being personally attacked, but usually I come to my senses and remove the ban before things get too out of control.

Usually. :grin:

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #3494198 - 12/13/04 08:37 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Excellent post (and suspiciously relevant :grin:)

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

#3494202 - 12/13/04 08:37 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Emotions rrr

I sometimes find myself disociated from that. I see the things that I did and the way at times I have acted and I see how the more emotional the less erational they are. I am sorry for some of them and also glad for the others. Some people I said sorry to some I havnt. I learned from them all though.

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #3494207 - 12/13/04 08:38 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I don't know if by emotion, you mean typical capricious "emotion", those that an angry teenage girl often possesses an abundance of, or intuitive hunches and seemingly illogical feelings that you follow because it seems natural. I am neither completely intuitive or logical, but I tend to analyze the world with both- I feel my intuitive nature and examine it logically. Often the intuitive nature is awesome subconscious framework, which you can then build on by logic

I think those who are only one or the other are missing much, and they will be very limited. Pure scientists who can only see what the data and reports tell them, or illogical "psychics" who disregard all that is not gotten from meditation and the crystal ball are both just as flawed, the Middle Path is definitely the way to go with intuition and logic

I don't regret my decisions, but one thing I can see that wasn't very good of me in the past was fighting with kids who tried to make personal attacks on me. It was just based on pride really, but luckily the consequences also taught me more humility. Emotions can be good tools for learning, or getting your ass kicked :wink:

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
Re: Emotions, Spirituality, and Decision making [Re: Ravus]
    #3501363 - 12/14/04 11:39 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

all of my decisions are based on what i think is best for (insert myself or insert party i am devoted too).

my emotions play a huge role in my logical thinking

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

#3501598 - 12/15/04 12:15 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Primitive and irrational emotions create primitive and irrational behaviors and doom us all to primitive and irrational lifestyles. Logic and contentment is the key to our progression.

Remove the conflict and it will be replaced with understanding.

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order