Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]
Anonymous

"assault weapon" hysteria in the media
    #3338320 - 11/09/04 07:13 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

why are journalists so stupid?

Weapons that can
shatter concrete

Semiautomatic assault rifles have returned, and cops who face them know all too well what they can do

By PATRICE O'SHAUGHNESSY
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Fully automatic gun turns brick to powder. Semiautomatics can be modified to do same.
The Colt AR-15 semiautomatic assault rifle is long, black and sleek and shoots .223-caliber ammunition, or 2-inch long bullets.

For 10 years, the sale and manufacture of the fearsome weapon was illegal anywhere in America.

Last week, as some Southern stores resumed sale of the rifle, Police Officer Darrell Corti demonstrated its destructive power.

Corti aimed the weapon at a cinderblock at the NYPD firing range at Rodman's Neck in the Bronx and pulled the trigger. The burst of gunfire rang loudly in the ears despite protective gear. The narrow bullet traveled at such a high velocity that it pierced a half-dollar-sized hole in the inch-thick side of the stone before shattering into shiny fragments.

The round is capable of penetrating some bulletproof vests.

"These are weapons of war, and to make them more readily available is certainly a concern for us," said Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly. "It is a concern for police officers because they're the ones at 2 a.m. who are most likely to confront these types of weapons."

More than a decade ago, the AR-15 had been routinely used by dealers to guard drug dens. Now it can be legally sold in federally licensed gun shops in certain states, along with Uzis, Macs and Tec-9s, the sinister-looking pistols toted by thugs who devastated the city.

With the expiration of the federal assault weapons ban two weeks ago, will the guns that held neighborhoods in the clench of violence in the late 1980s and early 1990s be making a comeback?

"Assault weapons will be more lethal and less expensive. High capacity magazines will be back in production for civilian sale," the Consumer Federation of America darkly concluded after polling weapons manufacturers.

New York's own ban on assault weapons remains in effect, and the city has some of toughest gun laws in the nation, but traffickers have managed to smuggle in thousands of illegal handguns each year through Southern states, where lax laws allow multiple purchases and the use of so-called straw buyers.

Authorities are concerned that as stores now offer the higher-powered weapons, as well as certain styles favored by criminals and magazines holding as many as 50 bullets, that the weapons will make their way into the arsenals of the city's gangs and drug organizations.

"We are concerned anytime illegal firearms, whether handguns or rifles, are trafficked or possessed in New York City," said William McMahon, special agent in charge of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives New York office. "In the hands of criminals, any of these weapons can be deadly."

The new availability of increased firepower is a major concern. Under the ban, dealers could not sell magazines holding more than 10 bullets.

"With the magazine limitation lifted, you have in effect what amounts to putting an automatic weapon on the street," said Kelly. "A 30- or 50-round clip put in a semiautomatic, you just keep pulling the trigger and you put out an awful lot of firepower."

"They're going to shoot what they've got," said a Bronx investigator.

But the National Rifle Association said the fears are unfounded.

"We've received phone calls from numerous rank-and-file police who know this ban had nothing to do with crime," said Andrew Arulanandam, an NRA spokesman. "These guns have been available in different forms. A magazine is a piece of metal. The focus ought not to be on an inanimate object, but on the criminal, who gets guns through the black market."

The ban on 19 weapons was signed into law by former President Bill Clinton after shootouts among drug dealers claimed hundreds of innocent lives in inner cities and deranged killers armed with assault rifles grabbed headlines in pristine suburbs.

Assault rifles had such features as a folding stock, a night sight, a flash suppressor, a bayonet mount, a pistol grip and a large magazine capacity.

Of 125 guns taken off the street last year by just one firearms investigations team, 10 of them were banned weapons; most were cheap 9-mm. handguns.

With the ban lifted, some criminals may covet the status and intimidating reliability of once forbidden firepower, investigators said.

For example, the newly available Colt AR-15 bears a revered name in the gun industry, known for accurate, well-made weapons.

Likewise, the Mac-10 is twice the size of the Glock 9-mm. carried by cops, and packs a 30-shot ammunition clip.

Although the firms that manufactured some of the guns are defunct, stores may have inventories they were previously unable to sell. And authorities believe a manufacturer will fill the void. The Tec-9 is also a weapon that helped spike the city's murders to a record 2,245 in 1990.

"The Tec-9 has the same power as the Glock, but it's a bigger gun, with a big handle, and you can add a flash suppressor - and it's a very menacing gun, and that's why criminals wanted it," said a federal firearms investigator.

"Currently the Tec-9s are the biggest concern," added a detective in the firearms unit. "They're everywhere ... and in the winter, these guns are easily concealed under bulky jackets."

"It remains to be seen what the effect will be, but lifting the ban can only bring about bad things," Kelly said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/story/235635p-202356c.html

:lol:

and i thought hysterical drug propaganda was bad...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: "assault weapon" hysteria in the media [Re: ]
    #3338339 - 11/09/04 07:16 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Holy shit! This fearsome weapon made a hole in a CINDER BLOCK! Wow. We're fucked now.

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: "assault weapon" hysteria in the media [Re: zappaisgod]
    #3338346 - 11/09/04 07:18 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

the writer clearly has no idea what the fuck she is talking about.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #3338355 - 11/09/04 07:21 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

God, innaccurate anti-gun shit like that makes me sick.

Did you see the post in the News forum where a Berkely, CA(need I
say more....) resident was enraged that "semi-automatic guns" were
in the house next door when the police raided. She didn't seem to be
concerned at all that the house was raided because people living
there were drug dealers(they weren't just dealing weed...they were
dealing other shit). Every damn house within 100 miles of my redneck
ass has at least one firearm in it, and parents around here aren't
up in a tizzy about it.

OfflineAaronEvil
The GuitarVillain
Male

Loc: California
    #3338545 - 11/09/04 08:17 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I agree. A bullet going through a cinder block is very common in the guns that we already had. A hunting rifle could shatter a cinder block. We dont need to get rid of guns, we need to get rid of crazy people.

--------------------

There is not a lot of difference between a fox hole and a grave; but knowing that you dug your ditch and climbed in anyway.

OfflineFrankieJustTrypt
and fell

Loc: MI
Re: "assault weapon" hysteria in the media [Re: AaronEvil]
    #3338846 - 11/09/04 09:48 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

"These are weapons of war, and to make them more readily available is certainly a concern for us," said Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly. "It is a concern for police officers because they're the ones at 2 a.m. who are most likely to confront these types of weapons."

Then stay the fuck home and stop being a lackey for the 'man'..

More than a decade ago, the AR-15 had been routinely used by dealers to guard drug dens. Now it can be legally sold in federally licensed gun shops in certain states, along with Uzis, Macs and Tec-9s, the sinister-looking(by this obviously the guns with devil horns and an evil grimace) pistols toted by thugs who devastated the city.

Legalize and the invisible hand of the market will fix the drug trade. Then the thugs can move to devastating the IRS, and city hall.

--------------------
If you want a free lunch, you need to learn how to eat good advice.

Anonymous

Re: "assault weapon" hysteria in the media [Re: FrankieJustTrypt]
    #3339371 - 11/10/04 12:10 AM (12 years, 30 days ago)

Then stay the fuck home and stop being a lackey for the 'man'..

come on. we need cops. the thing is that so-called "assault weapons" don't particularly endanger police. these sorts of articles, when they do quote police, never bother to survey actual police officers, but always police chiefs, who A) are not on the front lines, and B) owe their job to the politicians above them. not the most accurate or unbiased source of information on this politicized subject. the statistics show that the sorts of weapons covered by the 1994 AWB are very rarely used in crimes, against police officers or otherwise.

it's been about 2 months now since the ban expired, and extended magazines and evil-looking "black rifles" are selling like hotcakes. has a single police officer in the entire country been gunned down by one of these weapons yet?

Then the thugs can move to devastating the IRS, and city hall.

the author's claim is that "more than a decade ago, the AR-15 had been routinely used to guard drug dens." i wonder where this information came from. she's got to be hitting the drugs pretty heavy to come up with bullshit like that.

thugs use cheap revolvers and shotguns. the discriminating thug may carry an autoloader. they do not use $1,200 AR-15's. this woman hasn't got a clue. sensationalist drivel.

InvisibleOneforthemasses
Like My Tits?

Loc: Eatin' at the "Y"
    #3340346 - 11/10/04 07:56 AM (12 years, 30 days ago)

:lol:

My rifle (.300 mag) would do a lot worse than that assault weapon

--------------------
Like my tits?

InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #3340703 - 11/10/04 11:07 AM (12 years, 30 days ago)

Seriously, while the article is stupid, you see nothing wrong with the legalisation of fully automatic and semi-automatic weapons?

Rather that taking the piss out of a poorly written and badly argued article, why not ask the question "How can legalising automatic weapons possibly make any society a better place?"

Edited by Odiumjunkie (11/10/04 12:18 PM)

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #3340710 - 11/10/04 11:09 AM (12 years, 30 days ago)

thugs use cheap revolvers and shotguns.

I think you need to meet a better class of thug mush. My local neighbourhood crack dealer carries a MAC-10.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Anonymous

Re: "assault weapon" hysteria in the media [Re: Xlea321]
    #3340717 - 11/10/04 11:11 AM (12 years, 30 days ago)

i thought that was illegal in the UK.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #3340731 - 11/10/04 11:20 AM (12 years, 30 days ago)

They are. That's why only the local crack dealer making 400,000 a year has one and not every Bubba in the street.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #3340756 - 11/10/04 11:33 AM (12 years, 30 days ago)

I think you should be allowed to own any firearm you want as long as you have a college degree and no violent crime convictions.

--------------------

Anonymous

#3340764 - 11/10/04 11:35 AM (12 years, 30 days ago)

you seem to have swallowed the media frenzy over "assault weapons" hook, line, and sinker. congrats. there are some excellent articles about the dangers of drug use over in the news forum.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #3340767 - 11/10/04 11:38 AM (12 years, 30 days ago)

I havn't swallowed anything. I merely told you my local neighbourhood crack dealer has a MAC-10 and he's the only person I know who has one.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Anonymous

#3340772 - 11/10/04 11:40 AM (12 years, 30 days ago)

the assault weapons ban didn't have anything to do with the mac-10, so i fail to see your point.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: "assault weapon" hysteria in the media [Re: OJK]
    #3340794 - 11/10/04 11:46 AM (12 years, 30 days ago)

Rather that taking the piss out of a poorly written and badly argued
article, why not ask the question "How can legalising automatic
weapons possibly make any society a better place?"

The assault weapons being referred to in the article are not
automatic. They are semi-automatic.

And, automatic weapons are legal...if you have a very special
license.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #3340801 - 11/10/04 11:49 AM (12 years, 30 days ago)

the assault weapons ban didn't have anything to do with the mac-10, so i fail to see your point.

You brought up the line about I have swallowed the media frenzy. What were you talking about?

The last point I made was your idea that thugs use revolvers and shotguns might be a little out of date. Unless UK thugs have better access to weaponry than american ones.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #3340804 - 11/10/04 11:51 AM (12 years, 30 days ago)

I merely told you my local neighbourhood crack dealer has a MAC-10

what a perfect way to illustrate that making guns illegal doesn't
always keep them out of the hands of dangerous people.

You live in the UK.  All guns are illegal there.  The police don't
even carry them.  Yet, here is a drug dealer who has one.  When
you outlaw something, the prohibition of it can cause problems(look
at drug prohibition).  So, in the UK it appears as if only dangerous
people carry firearms(because they don't obey laws anyway).  I would
feel real safe over there....:rolleyes:

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: "assault weapon" hysteria in the media [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3340810 - 11/10/04 11:52 AM (12 years, 30 days ago)

By the way, a MAC 10 isn't an assault rifle. It is a small handgun
like thing.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion