Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineholio1
intense

Loc: toronto son
Toss tubs just from smell?
    #3201090 - 09/30/04 08:16 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I have only 3 of my 8 tupperwares incubating still, the rest were lost to contams.
2 have very strong growth, except for one point where I must have forgot to incubate ehh I guess I'll just have to wait a little on that one.
The other one is showing white growth at all points, but it is not as thick and solid in appearance as on the others. Now I know for a fact areas are mycelium but I am no expert and cannot be so sure with some of the other areas. But so far there has only been white growth, and the contams on my other jars were rust coloured.

My dilema is that there is a bit of a contam'd smell to the tub. I have been keeping it seperate from the other tubs and I am just waiting to see if anything shows, otherwise I plan on birthing it with the others once colonized. The casing will not fruit if contam'd, no?

So anyways should I throw this tub out or hold onto it and wait anything to show up?
I would not doubt it that it could be contaminated, but as of yet it seems to be going fine.

what do yall think about this?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BurgerTime, Space Invaders
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Toss tubs just from smell? [Re: holio1]
    #3201311 - 09/30/04 09:26 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

time will tell...

--------------------

Quote:

pftek said:Impossible to clean everything right now. Maybe in a week.

ROTHBURY

:pm:

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Toss tubs just from smell? [Re: george castanza]
    #3201351 - 09/30/04 09:38 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Does it look wet? Brownish? Slimey? Is the smell sour? Growth slow? If you answered yes to any of these questions you may have bacterial contamination. If so it may fruit but fruits will probably be small and not many. So has been my experience. I'd probably hold onto it but I'd be looking at it right now and know what it was and so I might toss it :smile: Sorry I can't help you more then that.

You sure that wasn't just rust and it was a contam? Rust leaks in all the time from the holes and turns myc rusty in places. Doesn't spread though. I did hear there is a rusty colored contam from this rumor though.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlineholio1
intense

Loc: toronto son
Re: Toss tubs just from smell? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3201694 - 09/30/04 11:00 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

It was a bit lighter coloured then rust but I promise you it did not leak in. I am using ziplock tupperwares, and even if the aluminium foil rusted the contaminated area was at the bottom of the tubs on some.

The other ones I threw out were very fucked up in many of the ways you meantion, but this one only has the smell and slightly slower growth.

If it does fully colonize, is it safe to fruit? I remember reading recently from a respected poster that any contams on the casing or substrate does not go into the fruits. So any fruits that come off are safe to consume?

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Toss tubs just from smell? [Re: holio1]
    #3201957 - 10/01/04 12:17 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Most likly. But I dont want to be giving you advice just in case some weird contam has got them and they fruit and it makes them posionous. It's like billion to one. I'll say, if it fruits, I'd eat em. When it's colonizing the layer it might look thin and whispy, not so strong, another sign that it was bacterial. I've gotten fruits from casings like this..usually very few and then I toss them. They were consumed without a problem..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineXanaDude
Stranger

Loc: Your Hippocampus
Re: Toss tubs just from smell? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3202276 - 10/01/04 01:55 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

If you're using aluminum foil I think it's highly unlikely you're finding any "rust". Aluminum doesn't rust like steel does. I would think in your set-up, the aluminum isn't the problem.

The "rust" color that people mention tends to come from jar lids or whatever.

I recently threw out a giant bulk bin because the surface had some brownish-reddish spots of color on the surface. It was because the plastic wrap was touching the mycelium and caused some kind of rotting. Also, the bin was beginning to smell bad. I didn't want to take any chances. It was heartbreaking, but I decided to start over.

Doesn't mean you have to do the same, but I'd keep a real close eye on it.

--------------------
"The Power of Ten" -- the coolest non-drug mindfuck! See it at: http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/java/scienceopticsu/powersof10/

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BurgerTime, Space Invaders
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Toss tubs just from smell? [Re: XanaDude]
    #3202323 - 10/01/04 02:05 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

kramer has got mad toss it in the trash happy lately...if it doesn't perform to speck in the trash it goes....and they call me a nazi? :crazy:

--------------------

Quote:

pftek said:Impossible to clean everything right now. Maybe in a week.

ROTHBURY

:pm:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation