Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineMcMushrooms420
Here but not really.....
 User Gallery

Tub in Tub
    #3305048 - 11/01/04 04:12 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

How do make the top tub stay down so that the water rises up the sides?

--------------------
You Can't Give It Up........

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblezxsevinr
fartnocker
Re: Tub in Tub [Re: McMushrooms420]
    #3305119 - 11/01/04 04:24 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

you zip tie the top and bottom together with a lot of zip ties before you add water

--------------------
i also am a big liar and i tell no truths on this board furthermore when the words i me or my are used i am refering to a friend of a friend

InvisibleKyKid
Stranger
Re: Tub in Tub [Re: zxsevinr]
    #3305213 - 11/01/04 04:39 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

hey, im still fairly new to this hobby but i have used the tub in tub set up since my first grow and 10 other since then and i always just have the water high enough so the top tub just rest in it and it does quite well and no need for anything extra to hold it down

Invisiblezerozero
Stranger

Re: Tub in Tub [Re: KyKid]
    #3305351 - 11/01/04 04:59 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

if you read the tub in tub tek, magash clearly shows the use of zip ties to keep the top tub from floating, i guess you could use weights in the bottom of the tub, but the ties are so cheap and easy, if it aint broke, why fix it?

Offlineonetime
onetime
 User Gallery

Re: Tub in Tub [Re: zerozero]
    #3305365 - 11/01/04 05:02 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

they weight of the jars should keep it down

--------------------

See?
Yes, with my own three eyes.
Depression, Misspells , wanting everying thing i cant have haveing nothing i want

Invisiblezxsevinr
fartnocker
Re: Tub in Tub [Re: onetime]
    #3305418 - 11/01/04 05:13 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

i did find that it is virtually impossible to push it down with the water already in it

--------------------
i also am a big liar and i tell no truths on this board furthermore when the words i me or my are used i am refering to a friend of a friend

OfflineHamurabi
the babylonianleader..

Loc: Greece
Re: Tub in Tub [Re: zxsevinr]
    #3305468 - 11/01/04 05:26 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

a few cm of the bottom of the tub (that has the jars/casing) in the water are enough to warm it

OfflineMcMushrooms420
Here but not really.....
 User Gallery

Re: Tub in Tub [Re: Hamurabi]
    #3305794 - 11/01/04 06:55 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Thank you for the posts

--------------------
You Can't Give It Up........

OfflineF0SS1L
Prehistoric Cyborg

Loc: 216
    #3305922 - 11/01/04 07:28 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

my incubator gets plenty of heat without touching the water at all. It might even be a few degrees too hot right now.

--------------------
That's me on the street with a violin under my chin. Playing with a grin, singing gibberish.

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #3306461 - 11/01/04 09:48 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Incubator set up.

1. First thing get your bottom tub and put in your heater. I also add a water pump to mix the water that way it heats up much more evenly but it isn?t a necessary item. I got the tape from a boat shop and it has been working for some time. Good stuff for underwater.

2. Next put something (I used tall half pints) in each corner of the tub. This will keep the heater and pump safe from being smashed if I put in to many jars or do something stupid.

3. Now be sure to set the heater before you put on the top tub. I attach the top tub with zip ties cause the top tub will want to float.

4. Add the water. I like to add as much water as I can before it starts to spill out.

5. If you use the heaters with the external controls set them now to get ready for the jars. Mine use a dial and a sensor that gives the temp inside the chamber rather then the water. It also has a metal bulb rather then a glass one.

6. Finished

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Tub in Tub [Re: Magash]
    #3306671 - 11/01/04 10:31 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I've never had to have the water go up the sides to make my TnT heat uniformly, the water does hit the top tubs bottom completely and thats it. Now of course when filled to capacity the water will come up the sides further. The advantage of not using zipties outweighs the advantage of using them bigtime IMHO. I don't mean to take anything away from Magash's ziptie TnT he is just taking it to the highest level in efficiency but IME it just doesn't produce enough of a benefit to incorporate IMHO. I also haven't seen a necessity for a water pump to move water in such a small area, a small area is very efficient IMO. Now Magash is one of the best out there he is a mycologist through and through and a very insightful one at that with ideas up the kazoo! :wink: This reply is just hyphae's side of the TnT coin it's worked for me over the years with awesome results as has Magash's design for him and others. just my $.02 :wink: GL guys :wink:

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Tub in Tub [Re: hyphae]
    #3307581 - 11/02/04 02:24 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Magash just likes to take lots of extra procautions to make sure..none of that stuff hurts if your willing to do it all :smile:

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineMoneyAddyct
Picaro
Re: Tub in Tub [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3307589 - 11/02/04 02:26 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I use the zip-tie method, but no water-pump. It's not needed to keep my 15 1/2 pint jars warm in the 10gal tub.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Tub in Tub [Re: MoneyAddyct]
    #3307675 - 11/02/04 03:03 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

MoneyAddyct said:
I use the zip-tie method, but no water-pump. It's not needed to keep my 15 1/2 pint jars warm in the 10gal tub.

Me too for my 32 quart jars.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Invisibleikoiko79
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Tub in Tub [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3363197 - 11/15/04 11:00 AM (12 years, 27 days ago)

is it necessary to have something on the bottom to hold the top tub up? I mean, since it floats shouldnt it stay above the heater? I am making one of these today for a friend.

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
Re: Tub in Tub [Re: ikoiko79]
    #3363217 - 11/15/04 11:14 AM (12 years, 27 days ago)

It's not completely necessary, it just makes it easier to set the tub in there and ziptie it down instead of trying to wrestle with it and get it all even.

The water pump also isn't necessary, but it certainly won't hurt either. Natural convection should take care of things.

Offlinepunkgod94
Stranger
Re: Tub in Tub [Re: discman1]
    #3363445 - 11/15/04 12:33 PM (12 years, 27 days ago)

This might seem like a stupid question, but Im pressed for space and a tub in tub makes things a little hard. Is it at all possible to use something else to put in the tub? Like one of those foil containers you can buy at the grocery store? If you have no clue what Im talking about I posted a link with pics below. Only thing I could think is that 85 might be to hot for foil and make it start to melt or something. But are there any smaller alternatives to an actual tub in tub? Thanks!

http://www.alfcon.co.za/images/packaging.jpg

And also, while I'm on the subject, whats the point of putting a tub in tub anyway?? Why can't you just put the jars in the tub of water? I dont think they'd float but if they did surely you could put like a clean dinner plate over top of them to hold them down or something. Wouldnt putting the actual jars IN the 85 temp make more sense?

Edited by punkgod94 (11/15/04 12:35 PM)

Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

Re: Tub in Tub [Re: punkgod94]
    #3363472 - 11/15/04 12:43 PM (12 years, 27 days ago)

85 too hot for foil? Those tins are for baking.
You can make a TiT any size you want.

The point of the tub in tub(as opposed to a tub filled with water) is to incubate without having your time and money sitting in a pool of water waiting to fall over or get contaminated.

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
Re: Tub in Tub [Re: punkgod94]
    #3363485 - 11/15/04 12:50 PM (12 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

punkgod94 said:
This might seem like a stupid question, but Im pressed for space and a tub in tub makes things a little hard. Is it at all possible to use something else to put in the tub? Like one of those foil containers you can buy at the grocery store? If you have no clue what Im talking about I posted a link with pics below. Only thing I could think is that 85 might be to hot for foil and make it start to melt or something. But are there any smaller alternatives to an actual tub in tub? Thanks!

http://www.alfcon.co.za/images/packaging.jpg

And also, while I'm on the subject, whats the point of putting a tub in tub anyway?? Why can't you just put the jars in the tub of water? I dont think they'd float but if they did surely you could put like a clean dinner plate over top of them to hold them down or something. Wouldnt putting the actual jars IN the 85 temp make more sense?

I don't understand your first question at all. Are you asking if you can put aluminum foil containers in a Tub in Tub? Of course.

Wait.. melt at 85?F???? You put them in an oven at 400?F... Aluminum melts at 1220?F.. so yeah, you should be fine. :lol:

There isn't a smaller equivilent to a tub in tub... except smaller tub in tubs. You can get 10 gallon tubs for >3$/each at Wal-Mart.

Wait, I think I understand your confusion now. You don't understand what the purpose of the tub-in-tub tek is in the first place.

Holy sh!t man, submerge your jars?! You're talkin' crazy talk now...

First and foremost, pf-tek style jars aren't air tight. They need to be able to breathe; they have holes in the lids. You can't submerge them in water because, well, they would be ruined.

OK, the concept is really simple.

In the 1st tub, you have the fishtank heater and water. You put the 2nd tub into it until the water comes up the sides.

You load the things to be incubated in the 2nd tub, along with the heater's thermal sensor.

Since the heater is paying attention to the temperature in the 2nd tub and not the temperature of the water, it heats the water until the temperature in the 2nd tub is ~84?F.

Understand?

Offlinepunkgod94
Stranger
Re: Tub in Tub [Re: discman1]
    #3363541 - 11/15/04 01:04 PM (12 years, 27 days ago)

Oooooh I gotcha now man. Thanks a lot for clearing that up for me! Im clearly a noob at this stuff haha. Thanks again :smile:

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation