Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Best level of airflow and least comtaim factors
    #3183077 - 09/26/04 03:54 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

In every ones opinion, what is the best way to get the correct levels of fresh air for fastest colonization while stopping contaims. This would be for something like WBS, Rye or corn

1) Verm seal
2) Tyvek with alot of small holes in the lid
3) Tyvek with a large hole in the lid
4) Tyvek with no inner lid at all
5) Polyfill pulled through a large hole in the lid
6) Filter Disc

Feel free to add any other mythologies I may have missed

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCryogenicz
what?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: Best level of airflow and least comtaim factors [Re: MadHatR]
    #3184658 - 09/26/04 11:56 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

look at Magashes rye post, it has the perfect lid setup, I <3 it!

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #3186296 - 09/27/04 12:36 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I like polyfil stuffed holes myself, much easier to replace than Tyvek too. And If I were to build a PMP I'd put the holes (more than one) down low only because CO2 will tend to settle a bit even with all that air movement in there. We've built plenty of fruiting chambers with the holes down low and have had great results too. This is just my personal opinion BTW. Something like this. Hole size would determine the number of holes. This is just a twist nothing more. And of course hydroton would go right to the bottom :wink:

Edited by hyphae (09/27/04 01:08 PM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Best level of airflow and least comtaim factors [Re: hyphae]
    #3187237 - 09/27/04 04:26 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Two holes the size of a small screwdriver (I just stab jars twice with the screwdriver, much quicker then nail and hammer and gives you a bigger hole to stab at through the filter disk. I like to use Tyvek...its free from the post office and they deliver it to my house and as much as I want. Cut it quickly into 12 squars that fit over wide mouth lids and can cut like 4 envelopes at once to give you like 50 squares in a few seconds. Easy to replace IMO.

He was refering to colonization of jars and holes in the lids not a PMP Hyphae :wink:

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Best level of airflow and least comtaim factors [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3187314 - 09/27/04 04:45 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

When doing jars I always just covered with foil and never needed Tyvek or polyfil for PFTek. When doing grains in jars it's Tyvek all the way! Sorry I'm bad :frown: :wink: scatmanrav Although thats where I'd use polyfil and IMO is perfect for that CO2 drainage in a chamber. Again sorry guys for the mixup I'm answering many post not just at this site but a couple of others as well and sometimes my train of thought is hard to change! LOL

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #3187425 - 09/27/04 05:09 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

poll?

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

InvisibleNOS4A2
This is the way

Loc: -tite Flag
    #3187475 - 09/27/04 05:17 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

SO far good luck with this.
With 2 inch hole saw cut hole in lid (maximum air exchange)
Used lid ring as template and cut out perfect Tyvek circles
place circle under lid screw ring down tight
As added protection until 50-80% colonization put coffee filter with rubberband around lid
Finally out of paranoia i also left foil losely covering it all for a few days!

This setup kinda mimicks the filter disk without having to buy them yet it is kinda tedious cutting out the circles

P.S. always sterilize the tyvek first. I spray down with heavy coat of lysol or alcohol solution and let dry!

--------------------

Edited by NOS4A2 (09/27/04 05:19 PM)

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: Best level of airflow and least comtaim factors [Re: NOS4A2]
    #3194680 - 09/29/04 06:52 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

My friend normally just use the tyvek and drills a large hole in the top on his grains, but I have heard that you can just put the tyvek on and the ring on top of it (no metal top at all) and that this works also, without you needing to drill any holes at all. Have also heard that instead of 1 large hole you can just drill like 15 small holes in the top then tyvek and disk and ring. He also of course soaks 2 coffee filters in alc and rubber bands them on top of the whole thing when done. Without access to plastic tops the no top or small holes seems to work best for him due to the fact that drilling the 1 large hole can be a real pain at times (Drill bit getting stuck, metal shavings flying off and hitting the cat, etc) :smile: But he is afraid that both of those methods are slowing things down

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3195148 - 09/29/04 10:44 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I do grains with Tyvek and just the rings and it works awesome as long as the incubator has plenty of moisture in it :wink: This is one place where my TnT out performs my commercial incubator, which tends to dry my jars a bit. :frown:

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3195642 - 09/29/04 12:53 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

No kidding? What do you do about keeping it moist? Anything at all or nothing drastic or do you got a fogger hooked up to it :smile:

Lots of gas exchange this way. Nice that it works. My tub in tubs stay pretty dry though.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlineqwon
destroying angel
    #3195840 - 09/29/04 01:47 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Don't the extra holes make it more difficult to maintain a higher RH level? If i didn't think so, my screwdriver would be in hand burning red hot to plastic...

--------------------
'I'm the commander see, I don't need to explain, I do not need to
explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the president.
Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something,
but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation.'
- George W. Bush

Offlinericelicker
The Dude'sImaginary Friend

Loc: The Yard
Re: Best level of airflow and least comtaim factors [Re: qwon]
    #3196049 - 09/29/04 02:37 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Can we please kill this thing about holes in the bottom? Magash has posted this probably ten different times and I guess no one reads it cause it's long or something..... READ IT: (VERY IMPORTANT) :eek:

The fundamental principal behind using air entrainment is to sufficiently mix the two (fresh air and stale air) together and then re-distribute them back into the environment in a more balanced way that is then more beneficial to the mushroom crop. Without this sufficient mixing of the gasses present within the grow space, the crops will remain stunted and will likely never reach their optimum potential.

With the poor mans pod, the settling co2 air is met and diffused by a curtain of fresh air rising from beneath the Geo-lite surface. This rising flow of air is created from the air diffuser rod situated below the Geo-lite surface, which is powered by the air pump. The rising air pattern not only prohibits the heavier co2 air from settling down onto the bottom surface as usual but it also simultaneously diffuses the co2 with fresh air as it is distributed back into the environment or grow space where it can be put to good use.

In this way, the poor mans pod creates the same desired phenomenon as offered by more conventional means of air entrainment found in much larger-scale commercial applications where a mixing box is commonly used to accomplish this important task.

Oh right. Death to the idea of holes in the bottom because CO2 is heavier. I guess you can use it and promote it/encourage others to use it if you want, but I think Magash's idea makes better sense.

Edited by ricelicker (09/29/04 03:57 PM)

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Best level of airflow and least comtaim factors [Re: ricelicker]
    #3196332 - 09/29/04 03:57 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Were talking lids bro! WTF? aren't ya paying attention!!! LOL Just given ya shit because I suppose my pic threw ya! I was the one not paying attention! hehe  Actually warm air rises and cold air settles, and there is a thing called CO2 saturation, Also for the anal grower it may only be a matter of helping them in feel a little bit better even if it makes no difference at all, has anybody done a controlled side by side? Who cares! Right? :wink:

Offlinericelicker

#3196356 - 09/29/04 04:04 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

hyphae said:
Were talking lids bro!

OK i guess the main post was about jar lids during colonization. But yea your pic threw me off.

Don't you agree though with what Magash said? For the PMP you don't want holes in the bottom......

I was a strong believer in this for a while too, but he convinced me.  :ooo:

--------------------
"my brain waves travel at half the speed afta we..." -del tha funkee

"Two men looked out through prison bars...one saw the mud, one saw the stars." -anonymous

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Best level of airflow and least comtaim factors [Re: ricelicker]
    #3196401 - 09/29/04 04:19 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I'm well aware of air entrainment and it was not developed for CO2 control, It was developed as a way to contain RH, a side effect is higher than optimal CO2. In nature Mushrooms grow most prolific in a 100% RH with atmospheric CO2 levels at 300-350 PPM. I've been around a long time and have seen plenty of PMP variations over the last couple of years ones with holes down low and phenominal growth so ya it's not a matter of being convinced for me. :wink:

Offlinericelicker

#3196475 - 09/29/04 04:48 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

So IYO a PMP with holes down low is superior to one without holes?

--------------------

"Two men looked out through prison bars...one saw the mud, one saw the stars." -anonymous

Offlineqwon
destroying angel
    #3196498 - 09/29/04 04:53 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

This kind of answers the question then about the hole closer to the bottom. Thanks Hyphae.  I just got back from buying some polyfil..it's a tight fit packed in two holes two inchesw above the geolite.  RH i assume would be affected though, am I correct? - it's hard for me to tell since a few days ago I was achieving a 96% RH level, after the holes, or after the outside temp drop, i am maintaining a 90% though the inside is moist enough to keep the casing surface humid.....anyways - i liked your pic. :thumbup:

--------------------
'I'm the commander see, I don't need to explain, I do not need to
explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the president.
Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something,
but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation.'
- George W. Bush

Offlinericelicker

#3196522 - 09/29/04 04:58 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Where is Magash?

--------------------

Invisiblenoxy
Dr
 User Gallery

Loc: its more a time, not a pl...
    #3196600 - 09/29/04 05:19 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

so Hyphae, in your Hyphapod what is the Hydroton

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3196629 - 09/29/04 05:29 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Now qwon I'm not knocking Magash's idea at all it looks to me to work just fine. I'm just presenting another twist that does indeed work. I do prefer the holes as low as possible as CO2 does settle down into the media in places where there is not much air flow. If your going to do it in the sides then I'd go 1in. holes with the edge of the holes 1/2in. above the media. We don't live in an ideal world so whatever works for ya! just don't limit your view on things or you'll quickly stagnate! :frown:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order