Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSurwinMaxawow
TONKA TOY
Male User Gallery

Elevation above sea level ever seemed to be a factor?
    #4273604 - 06/08/05 10:53 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Its been a while since I have tried growing, but everytime I tried in the past, I could never get my PF cakes to fruit. Plenty nice white mycellium, but never any fruit. This is why I have been hesitent to try again in fear of the same problem.
I live in Utah near Salt Lake City, and knowing that its relatively high elevation above sea level, I have wondered if it could be a factor since cubensis usually grow a lot lower near sea level. It would be helpful to hear from those who have successfully fruited in higher elevations like Denver or in Utah.

I would appreciate any helpful comments on this.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Elevation above sea level ever seemed to be a factor? [Re: SurwinMaxawow]
    #4273618 - 06/08/05 10:56 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I would say it has to do with using cakes, and not elevation. My luck with fruiting cakes was very bad, those things are a real pain in the neck.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

InvisibleDieCommie
Re: Elevation above sea level ever seemed to be a factor? [Re: Holydiver]
    #4273636 - 06/08/05 11:00 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I live at very low elevations, and I cant stop my cakes from pinning...

I have never heard that air pressure was a factor though.

OfflineSurwinMaxawow
TONKA TOY
Male User Gallery

Re: Elevation above sea level ever seemed to be a factor? [Re: Holydiver]
    #4274811 - 06/09/05 05:19 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

So you are telling me that once you switched to something like whole grain rye you were able to get good fruiting? AND...does casing really help to stimulate fruiting?

I have grown a lot of mycelium on pressure cooked whole rye grain, but never even bothered to try and get it to fruit. Instead I used the mycelium extraction tek, in which I just took my mycelium covered grain itself to make tea, using some kind of acidic juice such as cranberry or even diet coke, and added a little citric acid to make it stronger.
Believe it or not it worked perfectly well for me, but it required boiling down a lot of the grain (at least a whole quarts worth) in order to trip hard, and that meant I needed to drink an awful lot of liquid which wasn't very pleasant at all, some have been unable to avoid throwing it all up.
The liquid itself was always thick and slimy. The reason was because in order to get the maximum level of extraction, one needed to get your hands wet, because I learned that the most effective way to get everything out of it was to actually go through the juice covered grain by hand, breaking it all apart leaving no clumps behind, while at the same time squeeze each handful. You should Continue this hand process adequately thoughout all the grain in juice covered pot. (using clean hands of course) After this is done its time to turn on the heat from the stove and bring it all to a boil. But just make sure not to boil for too long because the longer it stays hot, the more you give the psilocybin a chance to break down. I recommend keeping it under 5-7 mins, and then immediately adding some ice cubes to quickly lower the temperature to a safe psilocybin friendly level. I have always triped plenty hard from this exact personal extraction process. I should also mention that it helps to strain the final brew with a thin t-shirt because of how thick it tends to be, so it helps a lot to be able to use your hands to force the liquid through the cloth.

Now, as you can all easily see, even though my above mycelium extraction method works, its also a genuine pain in the ass....plus having to drink so much gross liquid. Growing actual fruits would be like heaven in comparison. I just never tried again after my first PF experience, not even having a single pin.

Invisibleyousuck
Stranger

Re: Elevation above sea level ever seemed to be a factor? [Re: SurwinMaxawow]
    #4275318 - 06/09/05 11:59 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

he may have a point. ive never heard of shrooms growing in high mountains after all. could have something to do with the air getting thinner as you go up.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation