Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Does debate get us anywhere?
    #3168003 -

I've noticed that in the vast majority of debates here, in PAL, and elsewhere, that no matter how good or bad someone's arguments are, no one goes away feeling any different about their position. It doesn't seem to change anything in the world, even in cases where people do change their mind. I find that I debate for purely selfish reasons. I simply enjoy it. But it doesn't seem to be very productive.


--------------------


"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Does debate get us anywhere? [Re: silversoul7]
    #3168037 -

I have had my mind changed in several instances.  I enjoy debate for the sake of debate, too, but I think it's also productive.  At least in my case.  :grin:


--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Does debate get us anywhere? [Re: Frog]
    #3168060 -

I have had my mind changed in several instances.

As have I...  :thumbup:


--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Does debate get us anywhere? [Re: silversoul7]
    #3168087 -

Often times no.lmao.People find it "logical" to believe what they do no matter how different it may be to any other belief.Because all the people involved usually have come to their belief by the logic of their experiences,knowledge,etc...,they do not change their minds often and usually stick totheir original idea because to them it makes the most sense based on what they know or have experienced.

However debate can be very effective/productive if people are open minded.This isnt to say any of the involved parties in a debate are right or wrong.


--------------------
Do not desire to reach a high level.Rather work without thought of reward to iron out flaws and impurities in one's self for the sake of one's self.When one has done this one needs not to desire anymore. http://www.lifeforceonlinestore.com/yc/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Does debate get us anywhere? [Re: UnenlightenedOne]
    #3168100 -

i think in real passionate debates, the poeple who benifit are the ones watching as opposed to the debaters. so yes i do think debate gets us somewhere.


--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Does debate get us anywhere? [Re: Frog]
    #3168111 -

I've had my mind changed several times as well, especially in PAL, even to the point of changing my vote for this November(was going to vote for Kerry, now voting for the Libertarian candidate, Michael Badnarik), but even then it doesn't seem all that productive. I don't seem to be bringing about much more change now as a libertarian than I was as a liberal(in fact, I've moved from a relatively mainstream point of view to a small minority, thus having less influence). I suppose there have been some ideas which have been brought up in debates which made me think differently about life, and given me a better attitude, but usually such ideas are not diametrically opposed to mine, but are instead ideas which I have not been exposed to.


--------------------


"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Does debate get us anywhere? [Re: silversoul7]
    #3168158 -

"I don't seem to be bringing about much more change now as a libertarian than I was as a liberal"

Well, you've possibly heard of "the wings of a butterfly", right?  :grin:


--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Does debate get us anywhere? [Re: silversoul7]
    #3169577 -

>>>>no one goes away feeling any different about their position

Sorry but I think this is an error in your statement. People do indeed learn in debating even if they have stuck ignorant on the main theme. I have seen people learn stuff and have learnt myself even whilst having the most heated arguements.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Does debate get us anywhere? [Re: silversoul7]
    #3169616 -

I tend to use debating/argument mainly to refine my own ideas. I used to do this without even noticing, but since it was brought to my attention I can see how I do it and why I do it.

Sometimes one mind just doesn't come to the "correct" conclusion, yet can become quite convinced that it HAS in fact reached a correct solution. I learned long ago that I am not infallible, so just because I have used all my abilities to come to a solution does not make it the correct one. The next logical step is peer-review. What I have ended up doing, before I even know I was doing it, is to propose an idea as if I thought it were already correct and then gauge the validity of the idea by the reactions of others.

The result is either a (hopefully) more well-refined theory or a discarded one due to new disproving evidence.


--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Does debate get us anywhere? [Re: silversoul7]
    #3169641 -

> no one goes away feeling any different about their position.

Not true, for me at least. I often debate things from positions that I might not agree with in order to try and understand all sides of an argument... so for me, debating helps me learn and understand a topic rather than change my position about a topic... I try not to take absolute positions on anything.


--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Does debate get us anywhere? [Re: silversoul7]
    #3170004 -

i do not, not agree nor do i agree.
man im confused! do I even believe? hehe
what seperates a debate from a dialog?


--------------------


--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Does debate get us anywhere? [Re: Gomp]
    #3170020 -

i use debate as a tool for testing my own beliefs and learning from others. Even the stupidest or most disagreeable person occasionaly drops something that i consider good and i can selectively choose what ideas i find usefull and those that i find useless.

Debate helps us get our own ideas clear in our heads, it gives us practice in articulating our own beliefs and it can help point out weaknesses in them we havent previously seen.


--------------------


Everything I post is fiction.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Does debate get us anywhere? [Re: silversoul7]
    #3171164 -

The productivity occurs later when you are thinking about what was said.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Objectivism - The Libertarians? Albatross Evolving 911 5 11/03/04 08:48 PM
by Frog
* Being a productive member of society:
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
Grav 7,187 85 02/10/04 10:27 PM
by Grav
* A debate on the subject of the morality of drug use. neuro 1,944 7 02/21/03 05:10 AM
by Sclorch
* God, love and debate
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Swami 4,958 61 07/22/05 11:21 PM
by fireworks_god
* The Wrong Way to Debate Swami 910 15 02/11/04 01:24 PM
by SpecialEd
* Debate
( 1 2 all )
Silversoul 2,260 26 03/07/05 04:32 PM
by zahudulallah
* I want to debate a "creation scientist".
( 1 2 3 4 ... 11 12 all )
Phluck 17,246 232 12/01/04 04:26 PM
by Diploid
* Heres the best answer to all these paranormal debates!
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
Ego Death 7,642 117 08/24/05 07:11 PM
by gettinjiggywithit

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
1,049 topic views. 0 members, 5 guests and 36 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.031 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.