Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12  [ show all ]
OfflineEgoTripping
journeyman
Re: I want to debate a "creation scientist". [Re: Diploid]
    #3429859 - 11/30/04 08:46 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

It's been my experience that only the truth can upset people so. Something to think about.

Your 'experience' could be nothing more than a collection of random electrical signals in your brain and unfortunately holds no Scientific value and is rendered irrelevant, so that doesn't matter.

Something to think about.

Edited by EgoTripping (11/30/04 08:46 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

#3429885 - 11/30/04 08:50 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Diploid said:
Here we go again with the armchair scientist whose knowledge of biological diversity comes from the guy who taught his Sunday-school class.

Your comment above demonstrates a profound ignorance of the topic. I started to type up a long, carefully-worded post to help you out of that pit of ignorance, but I changed my mind.

You can take the time to educate yourself by reading a book (I've provided several links to good ones) or you can live in ignorance thinking you know the first thing about the subject. The choice is yours.  :rolleyes:

Mutations are very rare, and are mostly harmful when speaking in the sense of evolution. I am not here to talk about the detail of mutations, I am here to talk about the flaws of evolution. I can speak broadly without you jumping down my throat about semantics.

Mutations at the molecular level make sense when applied to the formation of diseases, the resistance of bacteria, and the passing of genes.... however, when it comes to organisms speciating there is only 1 way this can occur, by mutation. For this to occur, refer to my previous post. Why isn't macroevolution seen in the lab? E.Coli reproduces at an astronomical rate, and hence can produce thousands of mutations in days. Not once do any of these mutations produce a new species of E.coli, just different strains. If it hasn't occured with billions of e.coli in the lab producing millions of mutations, then how could it possibly happen with larger scale organisms which produce 1 or 2 young?

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

OfflineEgoTripping
journeyman
Re: I want to debate a "creation scientist". [Re: looner2]
    #3429906 - 11/30/04 08:55 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

If everyone else is Armchair Scientist/Philosopher, what exactly does that make Diploid? For a guy with such immense and unquestionable knowledge, you'd think he'd be doing something a bit more productive and beneficial for his field of expertise than showing up a bunch of 'ignorant' druggies on an internet messageboard.

Edited by EgoTripping (11/30/04 08:56 PM)

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Re: I want to debate a "creation scientist". [Re: EgoTripping]
    #3429919 - 11/30/04 08:57 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

ET, I'm done with you.

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
    #3429931 - 11/30/04 09:00 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Why isn't macroevolution seen in the lab?

More ignorance. Speciation (macroevolution) has been observed in the lab; more than once.

For starters, read:

Weinberg, et al. 1992

and

Callaghan 1987

Come back and debate when you're better informed. :poke:

Edited by Diploid (11/30/04 09:15 PM)

OfflineEgoTripping
journeyman
    #3429969 - 11/30/04 09:10 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Diploid said:
ET, I'm done with you.

Good idea, I think your Armchair needs some company.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #3430334 - 11/30/04 10:30 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Mutations are very rare, and are mostly harmful when speaking in the sense of evolution.

What do you mean? Mutations happen every time anyone is reproduced. There are mutations happening in your body right now.

Tumours are mutations.

Not once do any of these mutations produce a new species of E.coli, just different strains.

What's the difference between a species, and a strain?

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: I want to debate a "creation scientist". [Re: EgoTripping]
    #3430338 - 11/30/04 10:30 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Have fun with your time off, ET.

:thumbdown:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineRedEyeSamurai
Non-Prophet
Loc: The Valley
Re: I want to debate a "creation scientist". [Re: trendal]
    #3431211 - 12/01/04 01:52 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Sorry if I kick a dead horse with this comment, I just dont want to read the whole 20 pages. I think that science is a prison to its own belief. Those who believe in science are jsut reinforceing that the world is 1 way. Just because something seems to be 1 way doesnt mean it is. Thier is no proof gravity works beyond are own empirical knoweledge. And we all know (a) empirical knoweledge can be false and (b) things change(heck mabey gravity is slowly starting to reverse, who am I to tell).

Science is just 1 more story trying to explain what is before our eyes. It does nothing more then provide people with 'neat tricks' and some form of knoweledge (whether actually thier or not).

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: I want to debate a "creation scientist". [Re: RedEyeSamurai]
    #3433102 - 12/01/04 02:24 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Science is the accumlation of data. All we know about gravity is what we have observed. Science makes no assumptions beyond that, and is always welcome to new ideas that have a solid foundation.

Why is science able to come up with neat tricks that can clearly be demonstrated, which things like astral projection, and esp are all wishy washy things that only work under certain circumstances, and are constantly being thrown off by "negative vibes"?

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: I want to debate a "creation scientist". [Re: Phluck]
    #3433367 - 12/01/04 03:12 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

What do you mean? Mutations happen every time anyone is reproduced. There are mutations happening in your body right now.

They happen every time anyone is reproduced? I hope you don't mean that is the basis for genetic variability. But yes, mutations occur whenever DNA is replicated, but there are enzymes that constantly repair them and are quite effective.

What's the difference between a species, and a strain?

A species is defined as an organism that can exchange genes with eachother but can't with other groups. A strain is a pure-breeding lineage of organisms, but mainly bacteria.

--------------------

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

#3433373 - 12/01/04 03:13 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

For starters, read:

Weinberg, et al. 1992

and

Callaghan 1987

Come back and debate when you're better informed.

I couldn't find that. Could you please provide a better link? I find this to be an amazing discovery and I'm surprised I haven't heard of it.

--------------------

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
    #3433694 - 12/01/04 04:26 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Edited by Diploid (12/07/04 06:59 AM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore Bulk Substrate