Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineDroz
Love of Life
 User Gallery

Loc: Floorida
Where does ignorance come from?
    #3164263 - 09/22/04 10:47 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

So an ignorant person would more or less grasp one concept and hold it to themselves dearly as if it was something personal. Am i correct?

Better yet.
Why are people ignorant?

There are gaps that must be filled. The ignorant are not the ones who seek information. So i may be a little ignorant myself. Maybe not. I'm not quiet(sp?) sure if someone would label me ignorant or not. One thing i don't do is rant about certain topics over and over without all the information. I try to see myself as someone who really doesn't want to ask, i used to ask a lot of questions. Then i heard the term if you have to ask you will never know.

All about experience i guess. Maybe those ignorant are trying to get experience but it's a little harder for them to get. Fear of resentment. Or just when one finds it to difficult doesn't ever see it connecting in the end.

Now how do we make people who are ignorant less ignorant? That would be something good for all of us to learn.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
Re: Where does ignorance come from? [Re: Droz]
    #3164277 - 09/22/04 10:51 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

The best way to avoid ignorance is to ignore people who rub you the wrong way, whether it be due to difference of opinion, attitude, or a primordial disgust with their body odour. This forum is especially usefull because it comes with an "ignore list" function so you can just cut anybody you want out.

InvisibleEgo Death
Justadropofwaterinanendlesssea
 User Gallery

Loc: The War Machine
    #3164279 - 09/22/04 10:52 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Shut up

InvisibleEgo Death
Justadropofwaterinanendlesssea
 User Gallery

Loc: The War Machine
    #3164286 - 09/22/04 10:53 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Soz, just an example of ignorance hehe

--------------------

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #3164308 - 09/22/04 10:59 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I seek information.
I think or feel im lacking basic knowledge, as i can not grasp the consept "knowledge". lacking sense or awareness as i dont know what it is? lacking information or "knowledge"...
shure i can type up this post, but what sence does it make? don't ask me :wink: i really dont know. I once thought to myself, I can not se the future, so I can not know where im going. but it just may be that im infact, on my way. and i kinda "realized" there is no goal exsept the one you "acsept/create/whatever". I do not Know if I am ignorant.
anyways, my advice would be you do  not "make people who are ignorant less ignorant" infact, you do not "make people" at all. and to be really honnest, i relly do not understand how you could change the mind of others, when you can not change your own? no offense just blabber from the confused Norwegian  :confused: :thumbup:

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #3164722 - 09/22/04 12:30 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Like gomp, I don't beleive in forcing people to go against themselves just to make me or others feel better.

I think one of the most difficult things to overcome is to live and let live and to honor and respect the free will of others. Making others do what you want them to do is being ignorant of their free will to choose for themselves.

The word ignorant has some really negative asscoiations attached to it and it gets thrown around like a cheap suit in arguments. There is nothing wrong with ignoring something. The wrong and negative judgments come from people who think others should pay attention to what THEY think is important. They get mad when others don't and the negativity spawns from there.

Being ignorant is being in the state of choosing to ignore something. You could just as easily replace that with being selective or focussed.

Someone who is focused on a goal is selective about what they choose to support the accomplishment of the goal.

The only time peoples choices to ignore things, information or people become a problem is when one person has a problem with the other not sharing in the same goal. This comes about when one wants to force another to have the same goal as they do. That to me is the ignorance to heal in this world.

If people can respect that we are all in pursuit of different goals, which require for us to be focussed and selective in our choice making, then we wouldn't have a problem with what others choose to ignore.

If someone is born and raised in the country, having never left it because they had not the means to or awarness that there was even anywhere else to go, is it fair to call them ignorant for not being aware of the ways of city life? No.

If the same person ventures out to the city and explores it, decides, being there doesn't suit his goal for living in peace and quiet, then he will choose to ignore city life. Is there anything wrong or bad with his ignoring the city life based on his life goal to live in peace and quiet? For him there isn't, but for the person who wants him to move to the city, and live like they do, they will have a problem with him and call him wrong for ingnoring the city and say its a bad thing to do.

Make up your own analogies as you can apply this to anything.

I just felt it important to add this perspective to this topic. I hope anyone who has read this, takes a moment to understand it.

Keep in mind that ignorant is an action to avoid or ignore something and keep in mind that the choice to ignore may have been made after one became famailiar with some with something and decided that it didn't serve them in their goal.

And keep in mind that if we ever have a problem with someone ignoring something that we think is important to pay attention to or care about, it's just a matter of their goals being different from yours. the natural tendency here is to want to force our will and goals unto others in an effort to gain more support for ourselves.

Watch for that.

What would be ignorant is to ignore that we are all not after the same specific goals at the same time in life.

Is it that "ignorant" people have to be made to understand us, or would we prefer to live in a world where its we that could better benefit by becoming more understanding of why people choose to ignore things.

See the difference. the first is forcing someone to grow by your standards and the later gives opportunity for you to grow in understanding. Who really benefits? The one you are forcing or being the one who moves to understand another?

We all ignore things, info and people because we all have goals of our own choosing and we are foccussed on them and select to pay attention to only that which serves us in achieving our individual goals.

I hope I elucidated well, this ONE of MANY perspectives on this word here. You can definetley use this perspective to become more respectful of others free will to choose for themselves and your own right to freely choose for yourself if that is one of your goals.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

Re: Where does ignorance come from? [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #3165168 - 09/22/04 02:18 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Ignorance is a choice we make or in some cases didnt make.Like any other part of human life.Every feeling,every state,every emotion is a choice we have made.Conciously or subconciously.

If we simply dont know about something,we didnt ever choose to become knowledgeable about it.Thats a choice we didnt make.We are still just as responsible for our ignorance.No on kept us from learning.

Others though choose to not learn about something and are ingorant that way.Either way we are fully responsible for all our actions.

--------------------
Do not desire to reach a high level.Rather work without thought of reward to iron out flaws and impurities in one's self for the sake of one's self.When one has done this one needs not to desire anymore. http://www.lifeforceonlinestore.com/yc/

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #3165181 - 09/22/04 02:20 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

It comes from the same place as enlightenment...from deep inside of us...

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #3165382 - 09/22/04 03:15 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Doesn't ignorance pretty much mean not knowing something? So I don't know where I'd say it comes from. We're basically born with ignorance, and it's up to us to learn new things in this life. People who remain ignorant simply have not sought out enough knowledge.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
    #3165687 - 09/22/04 04:25 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

There's no such thing as cold, only the absence of heat.  Same for dark, the absence of light.  Same for silence, the absence of sound.

You can't turn on an anti-light bulb at a drive in theater to watch a movie in the daytime, you can only wait for the sunlight to set.

Ignorance is the absence of knowledge and gaining knowledge requires effort on the part of the ignorant person.  A lot of people seem to prefer to live in ignorance and dogma rather than put forth effort to learn truth or to think critically.

IMHO  :smirk:

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Offlineentiformatie
EvolutionaryMovements
Male
Loc: miami, florida
Re: Where does ignorance come from? [Re: Diploid]
    #3166021 - 09/22/04 05:32 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

i like your comparison to heat and light Diploid :-)

--------------------
/opinion
.sean

OfflineIamHungry
Stranger
Re: Where does ignorance come from? [Re: UnenlightenedOne]
    #3166113 - 09/22/04 05:53 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

good call, thats what i was gonna say

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder