Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinethieverycorp
Stranger

Loc: Texas
What exactly is a right?
    #3080569 - 09/02/04 01:39 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

This has popped up in a few recent posts and it has led me to wonder how exactly you all define rights? If you've read the last few posts that I have posted to, you know how I feel about rights, I don't believe that they exist, they are fabrications given to people by groups of other people who use them to fool the people into thinking that they actually have some control over their own lives. Many times people point out that something is a right and not a privilege. A privilege is something that someone receives that allows them to do something that they might not be allowed to do otherwise, but these privileges can be taken away, while rights are basically the same thing except that a person is born with rights and rights are not supposed to be able to be taken away. But rights are taken away every day, whether it be right or wrong. Rights are supposed to be inalienable, meaning that they are "not to be separated, given away, or taken away." Nothing like this exists even in an metaphysical sense. "Rights" as we call them are as fragile as our lives, we never know if they will be there tomorrow, and do any of us know that they are there now? Do you have "faith" in your rights? I don't. I don't believe in them all, so in respect to rights, I am an atheist I guess.
thanks for any replies...
TC

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
Loc: Gallifrey
Re: What exactly is a right? [Re: thieverycorp]
    #3080654 - 09/02/04 02:09 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

A right is defined by a society. When ours chose to describe ours as inalieable, they were voicing their convictions on the quality of the rights they agreed upon for a burgeoning society and country. Meaning, they felt they were so important that in no way should they be abrogated, abridged, or sacrificed.

--------------------
Happiness is a warm gun...

Offlinethieverycorp
Stranger

Loc: Texas
Re: What exactly is a right? [Re: unbeliever]
    #3080747 - 09/02/04 02:29 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness."

above it says that humans are "endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights... That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men..." if they are inalienable, why does there need to be a government instituted among men? My point that there is no such thing as "natural rights," and rights granted by governments are not rights but mere privileges, as they can easily be taken away... but maybe I'm wrong, maybe it's still a right even if it is granted by an institution of humanity and is still able to be revoked...
TC

--------------------

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
Loc: Gallifrey
    #3080797 - 09/02/04 02:40 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

thieverycorp said:
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness."

above it says that humans are "endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights... That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men..." if they are inalienable, why does there need to be a government instituted among men? My point that there is no such thing as "natural rights," and rights granted by governments are not rights but mere privileges, as they can easily be taken away... but maybe I'm wrong, maybe it's still a right even if it is granted by an institution of humanity and is still able to be revoked...
TC

eh I'd love ot get into this with you but i'm too drunk to even read what you're saying. heh

--------------------
Happiness is a warm gun...

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
    #3080886 - 09/02/04 03:05 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

One of the greatest reasons i admire America's forefathers is because they had the ability to rely on bad apples. Just as with rights, man's inherent evil comes along as well. To produce a workable system one must factor them in or you would be left with a uptopia.

Of i course i dont believe in natural rights. I believe everything is just a fallacy of the mind, as a system of your ego controlling your actions.

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion