Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Next >
OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California, US Flag
Re: Does white privilege exist? Prove it. [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #24942246 - 01/25/18 09:27 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Sorry, I just realized I linked to my reply to Enlil rather than his post.  Here it is.

--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMightyWhite
Male
Re: Does white privilege exist? Prove it. [Re: viktor] * 1
    #24942751 - 01/26/18 06:16 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

viktor said:
Does Jewish privilege exist?

Oy vey, goyim! Do not ask foolish questions.

Shalom

Onlineqman
Stranger

#24942979 - 01/26/18 08:47 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
Quote:

XUL said:
Nobody in this thread has proven white privilege exists.

White privilege has not been proven in this thread.

P.S. posting links to Google is not satisfactory.

Posting links to Google if only a few results of the millions provides the answer is not satisfactory.  But posting links to Google where nearly every result provides the answer is.

If you want one specific study, just take a look at Enlil's post (as just one of MANY examples).  It links to a study showing that white sounding names receive 50 percent more callbacks for interviews than black sounding names.  The p-value for this study based on the study's sample size of 2445 resumes is 0.0000 (Table 1).  That means there is >99.99% confidence of white privilege.

Proof white privilege is real.

Let's say that bias does exist, the next question is why would it exist?  Is it illogical?  Maybe there's some statistical commonsense at work.

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maryland/DC Burbs
Re: Does white privilege exist? Prove it. [Re: qman] * 1
    #24943024 - 01/26/18 09:05 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Black people commit more crime in this country. People are going to be more suspicious of a black person they don't know than a white person they don't know. They will be more likely to give the White person the benefit of the doubt. It might be easier for the white person to gain someone's trust. That white person has done nothing to earn that advantage except for being Caucasian. That is privelege.

--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Does white privilege exist? Prove it. [Re: qman]
    #24943102 - 01/26/18 09:43 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

qman said:
Let's say that bias does exist, the next question is why would it exist?  Is it illogical?  Maybe there's some statistical commonsense at work.

Let's say that on average, white workers perform slightly better.  That doesn't mean ALL white workers perform better.  In fact, there are plenty of black workers that would still be more qualified that whites.  Yet, they might miss out on a good job because of a false bias for equally qualified candidates.

The black workers in my company are some of the finest workers I've seen.  Perhaps because the only way for them to get hired is to me MORE qualified than the people they competed against for the job.

--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Onlineqman
Stranger

#24943376 - 01/26/18 11:34 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
Quote:

qman said:

Let's say that on average, white workers perform slightly better.  That doesn't mean ALL white workers perform better.  In fact, there are plenty of black workers that would still be more qualified that whites.  Yet, they might miss out on a good job because of a false bias for equally qualified candidates.

"Let's say that on average, white workers perform slightly better...false bias"

No, that would be a correct bias, you're contradicting yourself.

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #24943405 - 01/26/18 11:43 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

qman said:
Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:

No, that would be a correct bias, you're contradicting yourself.

No, I said "equally qualified candidates".  If you pick an EQUALLY qualified white person over a black person, that is a false bias.

--------------------

OfflineThundermuscle75
Penis, usually hard
Male User Gallery

Loc: Staring at woodchips.
    #24943931 - 01/26/18 03:40 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

qman said:
Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
Quote:

XUL said:

Posting links to Google if only a few results of the millions provides the answer is not satisfactory.  But posting links to Google where nearly every result provides the answer is.

If you want one specific study, just take a look at Enlil's post (as just one of MANY examples).  It links to a study showing that white sounding names receive 50 percent more callbacks for interviews than black sounding names.  The p-value for this study based on the study's sample size of 2445 resumes is 0.0000 (Table 1).  That means there is >99.99% confidence of white privilege.

Still having that bias in your favor is a privilege.
How could it not be?

--------------------

"Rape ... Is a... can of apples" -Fiery

Onlineqman
Stranger

Re: Does white privilege exist? Prove it. [Re: Thundermuscle75]
    #24944170 - 01/26/18 05:12 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Thundermuscle75 said:
Quote:

qman said:
Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
Quote:

XUL said:

Still having that bias in your favor is a privilege.
How could it not be?

Is it a "privilege" to also be good looking?  Because they also get hired over the average looking person.  Does this fact bother you?

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maryland/DC Burbs
Re: Does white privilege exist? Prove it. [Re: qman] * 2
    #24944181 - 01/26/18 05:16 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Yes it is a privilege. And if a really good looking person went around complaining about how hard their life is because ugly people get all the breaks, I would react the same way as I do when I hear someone whine about the beleaguered white man.

--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Onlineqman
Stranger

Re: Does white privilege exist? Prove it. [Re: koods] * 1
    #24944192 - 01/26/18 05:20 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

koods said:
Yes it is a privilege. And if a really good looking person went around complaining about how hard their life is because ugly people get all the breaks, I would react the same way as I do when I hear someone whine about the beleaguered white man.

Straight white males usually don't complain "about how hard their life is", but they don't like to be mistreated because of their demographic status either.

OfflineNear Dylan
Shitpost Artist

#24944256 - 01/26/18 05:46 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Acknowledging you were born into better skin than someone else is not the same as being belittled for it.

--------------------

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

Loc: 'Merica Flag
Re: Does white privilege exist? Prove it. [Re: koods] * 1
    #24944609 - 01/26/18 07:38 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

koods said:
Black people commit more crime in this country. People are going to be more suspicious of a black person they don't know than a white person they don't know. They will be more likely to give the White person the benefit of the doubt. It might be easier for the white person to gain someone's trust. That white person has done nothing to earn that advantage except for being Caucasian. That is privelege.

Black people are arrested and prosecuted more per capita than whites, yes, but that doesnt necessarily mean they commit more crimes, or rather "break the law."

--------------------

InvisibleballsalsaMDiscord
Universally Loathed and Reviled
Male User Gallery

Loc: Foreign Lands
    #24946102 - 01/27/18 01:01 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

qman said:
Is it a "privilege" to also be good looking?  Because they also get hired over the average looking person.

you know it.  :heytherebadboy:

--------------------

Like cannabis topics? Read my cannabis blog here

Offlinerooster149
Stranger

Re: Does white privilege exist? Prove it. [Re: The Ecstatic]
    #24946113 - 01/27/18 01:10 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

I'm not sure any ethnicity has a type of privilege per se... however racial preference does exist on an individual level. This can effect the outcome of your encounters on a day to day basis and in turn effect the quality of your life. However, privilege goes to those who go out there and make a name for themselves, or have the name made for them. Color has no factor there. Cash is cash.

There is something to be said about ethnic stereotypes though. Yes, you see a lot more African-Americans being prosecuted on the news for petty theft and assault than you do Caucasians, but Caucasians do commit these crimes as well. Just not as frequently as far as statistics are concerned. As to why is anyone's guess. I'd like to think that certain ethnicity's are more genetically disposed to commit certain types of behavior than others, leading to the other socially contributing factors (upbringing, parenting, education, blah blah blah). This scientific approach could provide a solution that would allow all individuals to be aware of their tendencies, and use this map to make the best plan for ones genetic makeup. But every time someone comes out on media and suggests this people cry racism instead of entertaining the thoughts of a scientific solution.

And that's why the world's gonna burn. It's not because of our genes. IT'S CAUSE HE (insert color here).

Enjoy your merry selves, and just try to be good to one another. Or not. Your choice.

Offlineviktor
psychotechnician
Male User Gallery

Loc: New Zealand Flag
    #24946985 - 01/27/18 08:51 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

The Ecstatic said:
Quote:

koods said:

Black people are arrested and prosecuted more per capita than whites, yes, but that doesnt necessarily mean they commit more crimes, or rather "break the law."

So you genuinely don't believe that blacks break the law more often?

--------------------
"They consider me insane but I know that I am a hero living under the eyes of the gods."

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

Loc: 'Merica Flag
Re: Does white privilege exist? Prove it. [Re: viktor] * 1
    #24947004 - 01/27/18 09:00 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

viktor said:
Quote:

The Ecstatic said:
Quote:

koods said:

So you genuinely don't believe that blacks break the law more often?

I believe the police target blacks more than whites and I don't know whether the extent of that makes up for the disparity in crimes per capita. Honestly, its unknowable.

--------------------

Offlineviktor
psychotechnician
Male User Gallery

#24947190 - 01/27/18 10:55 PM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

The Ecstatic said:
Honestly, its unknowable.

:iveseenenough:

--------------------
"They consider me insane but I know that I am a hero living under the eyes of the gods."

Offlinetriphead9428
Stranger
Male
Loc: VA
Re: Does white privilege exist? Prove it. [Re: viktor] * 3
    #24947359 - 01/28/18 01:09 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Psychologically and often times politically, I'm very liberal. I am very aware of when people are being treated differently and when that treatment is unfair. It also bothers me a lot. I'm a hardcore animal rights activist for precisely that reason, because the way humans are treating animals right now disgusts me.

That being said, I don't think white privilege exists, and male privilege for sure does not exist. I think what people think of as white privilege is more a result of the fact that white people tend to benefit from class privilege more than black people do. Class privilege is definitely real, nobody can argue that but racial privilege, I'm not so sure about. White trailer trash really don't have easier lives than poor blacks in urban ghettos. The fact is, institutionally, racism against black people is illegal. If an employer refuses an equally qualified black person a job due to his skin color, he can file a discrimination claim. Hate crimes get an added penalty, and racism is extremely taboo in our society. Racial slurs are easily the most taboo words in our culture now, reflecting our extreme intolerance towards racism. Now I'm not saying racism doesn't exist at all, assholes are going to be assholes no matter what. But for people who talk all the time about white privilege, I have to ask you, what exactly do you want people to do about it? Unfortunately, we can't make being an asshole illegal. We can only make certain actions illegal. You can tell people that there may be subtle ways in which they are treating people differently, but other than raising awareness in certain situations, again, what do you want people to do about it? If you can't make being an asshole illegal than you certainly cannot make it illegal to be racist in a way that is so subtle the person cannot even detect it. Perhaps, the fact that any racism sticking around now is so subtle that people can't detect it, is a sign that the battle is pretty much won and continuing to fight a battle that is already won is not only pointless, but can become unethical if you start using it as an excuse to discriminate against white people.

On gender issues, for example, the pendulum has swung so far to the other side that there's now serious discrimination against males in our society. We don't want that to happen in terms of racial issues.

Offlineviktor
psychotechnician
Male User Gallery

Re: Does white privilege exist? Prove it. [Re: triphead9428] * 2
    #24947382 - 01/28/18 01:36 AM (6 years, 2 months ago)

Good post!

Part of the problem is that the "anti-racist" position is full of ideological assumptions, such as that evolution did not affect human intelligence between human groups, just primate intelligence between species.

This goes against what science has demonstrated to be true, so there's always going to be tension between the scientific truth and the lies told for political expedience.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Next >

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom