Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10  [ show all ]
Re: Dow in free fall [Re: zorbman]
    #9308618 -

That all depends on how long the recession lasts. If the recession is particularly bad it's possible there'll be some deflation in two years. Small amounts (~1%) aren't that bad as they can be compensated somewhat by lowering interest rates. If your money gains 1% value in a year, you'd still be better off investing it in something. It's when it gets higher like the 10% that it was in the great depression that things get nasty, because it's extremely tempting to hoard money when it's gaining 10% per year just sitting under your mattress.

Anyway, to answer your question: I don't know enough about current predictions of the recession to be able to say either way. A bit of a cop out hey?


--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Dow in free fall [Re: Phred]
    #9369853 -

Phred said:
To no one's surprise, the international markets are plummeting on the news of Obama's election.



I'm not sure you fully understand the current crisis.  There are several problems with this statement:

1.  The crisis was primarily caused by the derivatives market, which gettinjiggywithit did a good job of explaining.  Here are some other informative links about that:

The Bet That Blew Up Wall Street (the article is good and so is the video)

Wall Street's Shadow Market

2.  The worse the market got, the more Obama was favored to win.  Many people voted for Obama BECAUSE the market was collapsing.  An Obama victory was actually good news for the majority of Americans, and many of Wall Street's most famous big-shot investors like Buffet and Soros supported Obama as well.

3.  An Obama victory was well in hand before the elections, which the polls pretty much showed, so the market price should have already reflected an Obama victory beforehand.


I think the side discussion on fiat vs gold currency is extremely interesting, but I believe the derivatives market would have caused a collapse regardless of our currency type (tens, possibly hundreds of trillions of dollars were bet, without any assets to back them up)

Any thoughts on this last point???


--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Dow in free fall [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #9377672 -

President-elect Barack Obama proposes economic suicide for US
By Christopher Booker
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2008/11/30/do3010.xml

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Dow in free fall [Re: Luddite]
    #9378951 -

Right, lets bring Bush back to save us. :monkeydance: Great post dudite.:thumbup:


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Dow in free fall [Re: Icelander]
    #9379612 -


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Dow in free fall [Re: Luddite]
    #9379992 -

Global temperatures 'to decrease'

...at least temporarily.


--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* DOW rises 420 points Coaster 274 0 03/18/08 06:43 PM
by Coaster
* Dow Jones. GabbaDj 886 9 05/08/07 03:57 PM
by zappaisgod
* Free state luvdemshrooms 666 6 10/03/03 03:21 PM
by luvdemshrooms
* Free speech falls prey to 'human rights'
( 1 2 all )
wingnutx 2,987 35 08/19/03 07:18 AM
by shakta
* Oppose the Flag Burning Amendment: Keep Free Speech Alive! silversoul7 2,424 18 05/11/03 10:32 PM
by atomikfunksoldier
* Two words to remember - empires fall Psilocybeingzz 556 3 07/06/03 02:15 PM
by atomikfunksoldier
* Canada: Pot Smokers Get Off Scot-Free
( 1 2 all )
wingnutx 2,266 21 08/28/03 12:17 AM
by Irradiated_Feces
* Jobless Claims Fall, Inflation Stays Low wingnutx 1,906 15 10/17/03 12:50 PM
by DoctorJ

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Enlil, ballsalsa
9,999 topic views. 2 members, 2 guests and 27 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.024 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 15 queries.