Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Pan Cyan Agar, How Does It Look?
    #29665558 -

Transferred these to grain but was wondering if these cultures are healthy? I know P. Cyan mycelium is whispier but do these look okay or if I should've waited for another transfer? (I transferred two of the fluffy overlay circles to agar but they likely wont goto grain anytime soon)

The top is a Florida Pan Cyan and the bottom is a “fire dancer” Cambodian variety.




--------------------


“Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

Edited by Miltonius (09/11/26 12:57 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pan Cyan Agar, How Does It Look? [Re: Miltonius] * 2
    #29665600 -

Greetings Miltonius :hatsoff:

Honestly I don't like the look on either plate, the discoloration, mix of fluffy and whispier growth and the overall look. With pans I want all white, whispy uniform growth.



And I prefer to stay away from the more fluffy dense growth all together as that can result in a culture that overlays, which might not be a problem, but it certainly can be and it makes it hard to keep surface conditions good.

How long since you sent them to grains and how does the grains look?

Another thing I like to keep in mind is that pans wait for no man. Your plates are fully colonized and the mycelium crawled a little up the walls of the plate even. In my experience pans wants to move at their own pace, any delays on my end and they'll lose their vigor and often enough end up giving me the finger at some stage or another :lol:

If you can I would go back to spores and start over, this is just my opinion though and others might chime in.



--------------------
“All Fungi are edible.

Some fungi are only edible once.”
― Terry Pratchett


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pan Cyan Agar, How Does It Look? [Re: Kloakk] * 1
    #29665603 -

Kloakk beat me to it :sun:

Pan mycelium does weird things sometimes, especially on a rich agar recipe but these are looking really messed up.

I would start some new cultures now before doing more work with these since this could well be a dead end.

Have you had them in the fridge for a while? How old are these?


Definitely transfer earlier in general and keep the nutrient content of the agar (e.g. LME) at 0.5% for Pans if you aren't doing so already and don't add any yeast or peptone.

Post how the transfers you took and your inoculated grain jars are looking in 3-4 days.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pan Cyan Agar, How Does It Look? [Re: Baba Yaga] * 1
    #29665609 -

They didnt look as yellow in person tbh, just weaker myc and a slightly strange latter growth once more or less colonized; They were transferred 4-8 times from the original spore print and had been on those plates for a little over 3 weeks which were yellowish shaded MEA plates (which Id assume arent preferable for pans?) — I mention the agar color not to say that they look super healthy or uniform, just that I dont necessarily think theyll preform too badly on grain but only time will tell. Ill report back in a week probably once theres some noticable growth and let yall know what the status is. Thanks for yalls input! Mush love.


--------------------


“Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pan Cyan Agar, How Does It Look? [Re: Miltonius]
    #29665734 -

As already stated those both look pretty bad. If that is after 4-8 transfers I would suggest you take a look at your aseptic techniques when doing transfers.

This is what clean pan myc looks like.


Edited by RockinRobot (09/11/26 08:59 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pan Cyan Agar, How Does It Look? [Re: RockinRobot] * 1
    #29665763 -

Yeah 8 transfers was an exxageration it was more like 3-4, but this is what they looked like in the prior transfers for reference




--------------------


“Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pan Cyan Agar, How Does It Look? [Re: Miltonius]
    #29665768 -

Miltonius said:
Yeah 8 transfers was an exxageration it was more like 3-4, but this is what they looked like in the prior transfers for reference







Should have sent one of those :awesomenod:


--------------------
“All Fungi are edible.

Some fungi are only edible once.”
― Terry Pratchett


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pan Cyan Agar, How Does It Look? [Re: Kloakk]
    #29665808 -

Lol yeah I mean shoulda coulda woulda ig😂 The final transfers were basically those entire big circles bc I was experimenting a little with agar size so hopefully its just the fact that theres like 3 layers of agar stacked on top of eachother that makes them look so yellowish and theyll do well on grain but if not I have backup plates so only thing lost is time. Ill keep yall updated if they go well or not tho fs


--------------------


“Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pan Cyan Agar, How Does It Look? [Re: Miltonius]
    #29665816 -

Miltonius said:
Lol yeah I mean shoulda coulda woulda ig😂 The final transfers were basically those entire big circles bc I was experimenting a little with agar size so hopefully its just the fact that theres like 3 layers of agar stacked on top of eachother that makes them look so yellowish and theyll do well on grain but if not I have backup plates so only thing lost is time. Ill keep yall updated if they go well or not tho fs



:ducklol:

Yeah, oh well there's always next time :rockon:


--------------------
“All Fungi are edible.

Some fungi are only edible once.”
― Terry Pratchett


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pan Cyan Agar, How Does It Look? [Re: Kloakk]
    #29665838 -

Yeah could be worse, last time I worked a TTBVI plate for a long ass time, legit beautiful on agar picture perfect…grew them and found out it was a misidentified Lentinus when I got it🤣🤣🤣


--------------------


“Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pan Cyan Agar, How Does It Look? [Re: Miltonius]
    #29665877 -

Miltonius said:
Yeah could be worse, last time I worked a TTBVI plate for a long ass time, legit beautiful on agar picture perfect…grew them and found out it was a misidentified Lentinus when I got it🤣🤣🤣



:shockedpussy:

Man that's rough, but you seem to be pretty cool about it, I would be furious :lol:


--------------------
“All Fungi are edible.

Some fungi are only edible once.”
― Terry Pratchett


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pan Cyan Agar, How Does It Look? [Re: Kloakk] * 1
    #29665898 -

Tell me about it lmao, looked like this😂


--------------------


“Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

Edited by Miltonius (09/11/26 12:27 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pan Cyan Agar, How Does It Look? [Re: Miltonius] * 1
    #29665938 -

Miltonius said:
Tell me about it lmao, looked like this😂




Dude I believe I saw this when you first posted it, you really deserve some TTBVI in your life real fucking soon :lol:


--------------------
“All Fungi are edible.

Some fungi are only edible once.”
― Terry Pratchett


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pan Cyan Agar, How Does It Look? [Re: Miltonius]
    #29665976 -

Miltonius said:
Lol yeah I mean shoulda coulda woulda ig😂 The final transfers were basically those entire big circles bc I was experimenting a little with agar size so hopefully its just the fact that theres like 3 layers of agar stacked on top of eachother that makes them look so yellowish and theyll do well on grain but if not I have backup plates so only thing lost is time. Ill keep yall updated if they go well or not tho fs




Lol, that explains a lot of what I was wondering about.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pan Cyan Agar, How Does It Look? [Re: Miltonius]
    #29666169 -

Miltonius said:
Lol yeah I mean shoulda coulda woulda ig😂 The final transfers were basically those entire big circles bc I was experimenting a little with agar size so hopefully its just the fact that theres like 3 layers of agar stacked on top of eachother that makes them look so yellowish and theyll do well on grain but if not I have backup plates so only thing lost is time. Ill keep yall updated if they go well or not tho fs



As a general rule, regardless of species, transfers shoulod be as small as possible. I often don't even transfer any of the agar and just scrape some of the myce off with a scalpel and that's my donor.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pan Cyan Agar, How Does It Look? [Re: RockinRobot]
    #29666355 -

Eh Id kinda disagree, obviously the above is way too big but I find that decent sized circles preform better than tiny transfers, I think they could be cleaner in some cases but find them to be more whispy or aerial in general.

I know reddit as a resource isn’t very much liked here but this guy found some interesting results with transfer size.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Agarporn/comments/1goah4b/transfer_size_matters_follow_up_analysis/?solution=d4434db4171beab7d4434db4171beab7&js_challenge=1&jsc_token=7afd7253fec22262ff1c52b1703fe9ec1db4a4bd2d1d7f4762756a1540f680c7&jsc_orig_r=


--------------------


“Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pan Cyan Agar, How Does It Look? [Re: Miltonius] * 1
    #29666414 -

Look up josex poke in search engine :popcorn:


--------------------





An enigma some caerulescens n a mono 😎

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pan Cyan Agar, How Does It Look? [Re: bloodssonnew] * 2
    #29666470 -

Miltonius said:
Eh Id kinda disagree, obviously the above is way too big but I find that decent sized circles preform better than tiny transfers, I think they could be cleaner in some cases but find them to be more whispy or aerial in general.

I know reddit as a resource isn’t very much liked here but this guy found some interesting results with transfer size.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Agarporn/comments/1goah4b/transfer_size_matters_follow_up_analysis/?solution=d4434db4171beab7d4434db4171beab7&js_challenge=1&jsc_token=7afd7253fec22262ff1c52b1703fe9ec1db4a4bd2d1d7f4762756a1540f680c7&jsc_orig_r=




You're free do disagree all you like but the proof is in the pudding. It took you multiple transfers to get garbage plates.

Smaller transfers just mean an extra day or 2 in growth and make it much less likely to transfer contams. I never have to go past T2 to get good plates.

bloodssonnew said:
Look up josex poke in search engine :popcorn:



:whathesaid:

By the way you want to take the word of a CPA on redit go ahead. I'm sure mycology was covered in his accounting classes.

Edited by RockinRobot (09/12/26 06:52 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pan Cyan Agar, How Does It Look? [Re: RockinRobot]
    #29666957 -

A. I literally mentioned how smaller agar is usually cleaner and less likely to transfer contam but that I found it to be whispier and more aerial in general when solely comparing transfer size from clean agar. Idk if you misread my message as “I find bigger transfers to be cleaner” but that wasnt what I was saying. Josex tek is just talking about cleanliness which, obviously, less agar means less things getting transferred over therefore generally cleaner agar. Thats not what Im talking about though Im talking purely about the strength of the mycelium itself which in my experience and in “the redditors” experience has shown that larger agar (to a certain extent) leads to generally stronger mycelium [with the caveat obviously being A GENERALLY HIGHER RISK OF TRANSFERRING BACTERIA etc when transferring from unclean samples]

B. These were dirty wild spores that I got gifted so Im not looking for canopies, Im growing them out to try and hybridize them in the next generation, and I already said that I was aware the plates werent normal looking or particularly healthy. So the “it took you multiple transfers to get garbage plates” is an unnecessary insult just because I barely disagreed with you. Everything in this community is learned through seeing what works and what doesnt and that includes stacking agar transfers like a pyramid and seeing what happens.

C. You just sound pompous here. Just because the dudes a CPA and posting on reddit doesnt make his findings illegitimate or wrong. Do you know what Pastywhyte or Bod or Josex does for a living? No. Mush love:mushroom2:


--------------------


“Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

Edited by Miltonius (09/12/26 08:14 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pan Cyan Agar, How Does It Look? [Re: bloodssonnew]
    #29666967 -

Interesting read, thanks for sharing


--------------------


“Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Does this look like pan cyan mycelium??? (PICS) Junkaboy 6,595 7 04/25/05 06:54 PM
by agar
* pan. cyans Hamurabi 4,331 14 09/26/04 04:00 PM
by george castanza
* pan cyan substate, birdseed or rye? prototypical_man 4,556 10 02/13/05 12:47 PM
by VALIS
* Thinkin' 'bout Pan Cyans GnuBobo 1,266 2 11/09/04 04:01 PM
by Hamurabi
* Pan Cyans mockeylock 971 2 02/01/05 11:17 PM
by ATWAR
* Pan cyans, on PDA?
( 1 2 all )
Akrobatik 2,918 22 04/21/07 03:57 PM
by strangladesh
* Multi spore Pan Cyan Fruiting? BlueBruiser 3,036 7 09/26/04 08:48 PM
by BlueBruiser
* Pan Cyan Innoculation BlueBruiser 775 2 09/13/04 06:16 AM
by ButterNut

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
374 topic views. 11 members, 43 guests and 217 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.028 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.