Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 |
How to differentiate and know if what I have is popaver somniferum [Re: morningWood] * 1
    #29602262 -

This is my second year growing poppies. I tried growing a few years ago with very little success. This year I have a bunch of what I am hoping is popaver somniferum. Can anyone tell me for sure if the majority of the big plants are that. I know the.little ones in the picture are for sure. Just not real for sure in the big ones. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: How to differentiate and know if what I have is popaver somniferum [Re: Ole24] * 1
    #29602267 -

I only see a few tiny poppy plants in there.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: How to differentiate and know if what I have is popaver somniferum [Re: JW123] * 1
    #29602305 -

The heart shaped leaves are bind weed.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: How to differentiate and know if what I have is popaver somniferum [Re: JW123]
    #29602404 -

JW123 said:
I only see a few tiny poppy plants in there.



Yes.  I just see one for sure small poppy plant. A little above the middle of the picture. 

You can tell it from other plants because the leaves are very slightly blueish green instead of green. I can see it here.

No idea what the big heart-shaped leaf plants are. Not poppies. Use the Plant Net free app to find out.

If it is Bindweed, as The Tao said above, pull it up. Very invasive. Basically wild morning glories that can crack concrete when its roots grow though it.

article on getting rid of it.
https://www.bloomingexpert.com/garden/how-to-get-rid-of-bindweed/

------
morningWood said:
Indeed👍.... wonder if they all will have the dinglesberrys🤷‍♂️



dinglesberrys! hahahaha.

I call them chicks, maaaaan.

Edited by nektar61 (06/12/26 02:32 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: How to differentiate and know if what I have is popaver somniferum [Re: nektar61] * 6
    #29603130 -


Beautiful flowers on these!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: How to differentiate and know if what I have is popaver somniferum [Re: JW123] * 5
    #29603323 -

Nice man! Looks like the queen’s poppy

Planted some pink Afghans this year. Super bright flowers, my own little backyard Afghanistan :sunny:




Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: How to differentiate and know if what I have is popaver somniferum [Re: Blu Spore]
    #29603345 -

Stunning! Mine never flower at the same time like that.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: How to differentiate and know if what I have is popaver somniferum [Re: JW123] * 4
    #29603437 -



That's ~15'x3', I thinned it twice a week for a couple months and finally stopped when I was ripping out monsters.  If they can get that big then they're probably not too close IMO.  Most of these are sending up double stalks. 

I rotate the patch every year and this season I worked in spent substrate, cow poo and sand.  Ended up getting a lot of volunteers from last year's grow in a different row/bed and mostly left them alone.  They are giant cabbages, it will be interesting to see the difference.

Been doing this for the better part of 20 years and still haven't lanced a pod.  I wait until peak maturity and then dehydrate at 165°F for 24 hours.  I'm still a month out from flowers.  After harvest I'll be sowing beets and dill for the remainder of the season.  Zone 4/5


--------------------


"Blow up your TV, throw away your paper.  Go to the country, build you a home."

- John Prine

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re:The Official Poppy Growers Thread [Re: schmutzen] * 7
    #29605377 -


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: How to differentiate and know if what I have is popaver somniferum [Re: schmutzen]
    #29605428 -

I’ve never thought to dehydrate them. What do you store them in and do you store them whole or ground?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: How to differentiate and know if what I have is popaver somniferum [Re: The Tao] * 1
    #29605439 -

Whole pods in half gallon jars with a desiccant, it would make more sense to grind them to a powder and have a consistent batch.  That would also allow one to fit the grounds into quart jars but I like to just pull out what I want at a time.  It's more aesthetically pleasing and keeps me from dipping in too often.  Typically I'll use 5-6 pods soaked in cold water and citrus juice overnight using a cold brew coffee device, it's a cylindrical screen inside of a glass carafe.


--------------------


"Blow up your TV, throw away your paper.  Go to the country, build you a home."

- John Prine

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: How to differentiate and know if what I have is popaver somniferum [Re: schmutzen]
    #29605446 -

Is the citrus juice for aiding extraction or flavour?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: How to differentiate and know if what I have is popaver somniferum [Re: The Tao]
    #29605651 -

Mainly for extraction.  The flavor is "musty" it's not desirable but it's not awful, I have drank way worse plant concoctions.  I do experience withdrawal even at low doses; constipation, runny nose and a short temper.  Not something that I would ever consider doing more than 1x a week and even that frequency is excessive IMO.


--------------------


"Blow up your TV, throw away your paper.  Go to the country, build you a home."

- John Prine

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: How to differentiate and know if what I have is popaver somniferum [Re: schmutzen] * 3
    #29609480 -

Some early flowers, these are the small ones.  I'm going to separate the big pods and keep only those for seed.  Actually not impressed with them and prefer the frilly pink ones that smell like bubblegum, Pepperbox IIRC.







--------------------


"Blow up your TV, throw away your paper.  Go to the country, build you a home."

- John Prine

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Official Poppy Growers Thread [Re: Nickoloxious] * 6
    #29612640 -



Danish flag 🇩🇰


--------------------
👁️ 🌊 why you are empty.

Hunt for the habitat not the mushroom.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Official Poppy Growers Thread [Re: Icyurmt] * 7
    #29612820 -

Only had a few plants come up this year. The ones that did are doing alright, though.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Official Poppy Growers Thread [Re: RoscoeReturns] * 6
    #29613004 -

So pretty! I just harvested the last of mine.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Official Poppy Growers Thread [Re: JW123] * 1
    #29614191 -

Its been years since I've grown any. I do miss it.


--------------------
Texas Honey Badger said:
I went to boys town in Nuevo Laredo when I was in my early ‘30s
There was a bunch of trannys even way back then
I paid probably $20 but I was so drunk I couldn’t get a hard on:faded:
-Whenever you hear 5 blasts from the emergency horn that’s the signal for a 30 minute buttfucking break-      Fiery said:
I wish I was a young sexy woman so I could have awesome sexy adventures all the time[/quote]
split_by_nine said:
i did the man bun.[/quote]
1234go said:
I don't have a dog. I can't stand em...They're needy animals for needy people.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Official Poppy Growers Thread [Re: RoscoeReturns] * 3
    #29614219 -

Blu Spore said:
Nice man! Looks like the queen’s poppy

Planted some pink Afghans this year. Super bright flowers, my own little backyard Afghanistan :sunny:








Those are pretty! I want to grow a pink variety next year.



schmutzen said:
Mainly for extraction.  The flavor is "musty" it's not desirable but it's not awful, I have drank way worse plant concoctions.  I do experience withdrawal even at low doses; constipation, runny nose and a short temper.  Not something that I would ever consider doing more than 1x a week and even that frequency is excessive IMO.




Yea the taste of the tea does have that musty/greeny/planty taste along with some bitterness but it's not terrible compared to other botanical brews. I usually chug my tea in a few gulps then chase it was something sweet.

And I hear you on not drinking tea more than once a week, and even that being a bit too frequent. When I do have pods on hand it's usually a once to twice a month thing for me. I'll get WD, relatively mild but pronounced, pretty easily the days after if I take too large of a dose and/or too frequently. Depending on the variety, 2 to 4 pods is plenty for where I'm looking to get to.





Icyurmt said:


Danish flag 🇩🇰




:thumbup:

The variety I have growing rn and last summer looks like the flower on the left in the top pic, red petals with dark purple/black streaks in the center. 





RoscoeReturns said:
Only had a few plants come up this year. The ones that did are doing alright, though.






Those are supa pretty too! I dig the color!

Are those "Lauren's Grape" or do you know the variety?

Next time around I'm def going to grow some dif varieties/colors. Pinks & purples.






A few of my poppies started to bloom last weekend, all the others are about to pop over the next few days.





-OM

.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Official Poppy Growers Thread [Re: openmind] * 4
    #29614285 -









--------------------


"Blow up your TV, throw away your paper.  Go to the country, build you a home."

- John Prine

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 |

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Cannabis Growers Unite!...The Official Cannabis Growers Thread
( 1 2 3 4 ... 1564 1565 )
openmind 551,292 31,281 09/28/26 06:25 PM
by MushLuvR77
* opium poppy growing thread Anonymous 3,435 3 03/06/05 09:10 PM
by theocean06
* Poppies - from Poppyseed to Opium
( 1 2 3 4 ... 32 33 )
AsanteM 271,997 652 09/15/24 07:17 PM
by DAW76
* Poppies? BigJohnson 1,145 7 04/27/03 08:04 PM
by wyldtouch69
* papaver somniferum shriek 2,954 7 05/12/09 06:08 PM
by Nalim
* Growing poppies and questions shaganoz 3,526 10 06/21/02 07:39 AM
by lobo121782
* Poppy Question. AJ420 1,239 6 08/05/02 06:05 PM
by mrMagik
* poppy! Tasty_Smurf_House 1,388 10 11/30/04 09:52 AM
by Stonehenge

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: karode13, Mostly_Harmless, A.k.a
35,836 topic views. 0 members, 12 guests and 21 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.033 seconds spending 0.01 seconds on 16 queries.