Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | | Last >
Re: CAKE WARS II - Ends June 30, 2026 [Re: flapping_bird] * 1
    #29583919 -

flapping_bird said:
ALL PARTICIPANTS:  I need some info from each of you as to the varieties you are growing/intending to enter, so that I can determine if we will have any subclasses of competition. Right now, we have the “overall” and (I think) a ochra subclass. 

Please declare/repost the varieties you are growing, and I’ll  organize the list and see if we’ll have any subclasses of competition.

The available subclasses of competition are: classic cubes, ochra, PE-variants, pans, subtropicalis, and woodlovers.

In order for a subclass to form, there *must* be at least two entrants in the same subclass.



2 cube varieties and a Subtropicalis. Though I doubt the subs will make the cutoff time.

Edit- a word

Edited by MycDrop (05/23/26 08:29 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: CAKE WARS II - Ends June 30, 2026 [Re: Cakewonder] * 1
    #29583923 -

flapping_bird said:
Hrmmmmm....well, I've not directly encountered that situation myself. I would be inclined to let it ride so that the cake fully colonizes before birthing, otherwise you may lose some cake during the dunk-n-roll step.  Cakewonder - any words of wisdom?

That Jack Frost is aching to get out and grow! Way to go!



I've decided to let it ride for a bit, hoping it will finish colonizing. Thanks for the response!

Penman said:
MycDrop said:
This jar is has a pin, not fully colonized yet. What's the standard operating procedure here? Let it ride or birth it early? Thanks for any help.








I had this happen to me and I chose to birth and dunk it. After birthing I removed the uncolonised parts that were loose then dunked and rolled. It was successful and produced a good amount, going for its second flush right now.



I am going to let it go a few more days, if its not fully colonized by then I will likely do what you've done and just birth it. Thanks for the help from your experience.

Cakewonder said:
Pop the lids open and then shut them hard to replenish some oxygen, it might be lack of oxygen that causes the stall.



I just opened and closed the lids a little, hopefully that will help get them to the final colonized state. Thanks, they call you the Cake Master for a reason!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: CAKE WARS II - Ends June 30, 2026 [Re: MycDrop] * 1
    #29583926 -

done the same to my cakes many times, at that level they wont contaminate unless you cough into them. THe air inside forms a smaller vacuum, thats why its easy to listen for the pop, then pull the lid quickly upwards, then shut them fuckers tight ...


--------------------
The PF Tek is my area.:oldman:

Where all anonymity is lost, there cannot exist a person.

Where one cannot avoid to share, there is God

www.zamnesia.nl
RustyWhyte is Commercial!



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: CAKE WARS II - Ends June 30, 2026 [Re: Cakewonder] * 1
    #29583945 -

Cakewonder said:
done the same to my cakes many times, at that level they wont contaminate unless you cough into them. THe air inside forms a smaller vacuum, thats why its easy to listen for the pop, then pull the lid quickly upwards, then shut them fuckers tight ...



Yea, 2 of them actually popped like a sealed jar from a store, one of those being the one that pinned in the jar, the other one was a jar that was slower than the rest. Guess I need better filters over the holes...thanks for the tip, would have never thought to do that!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: CAKE WARS II - Ends June 30, 2026 [Re: MycDrop]
    #29584038 -

THe small vacuum (or air shortage indide) does not require more filtering, this was my invention and its nowhere in P.fanaticus first tek. The pop restores oxygen levels and prohibits stalling (if thats the problem..) Its not even in Zirans revised PF TEK.

Thats why I dont take my foil off of the containers before inoculation.

first layer of sterility, the foil you put over when steaming.
Second layer, the dry verm layer.

Personally I wash my jars immediately in cold water to chill them down(with foil on),
the fast temperature change i feel helps due to the thermo-killing properties
of heating something up real fast and then cooling it down real fast.

Its called pasteurization:) At least i THINK thats the case..


--------------------
The PF Tek is my area.:oldman:

Where all anonymity is lost, there cannot exist a person.

Where one cannot avoid to share, there is God

www.zamnesia.nl
RustyWhyte is Commercial!



Edited by Cakewonder (05/23/26 10:47 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: CAKE WARS II - Ends June 30, 2026 [Re: Cakewonder]
    #29584052 -

Hey cake can u send me a pic of ur pf tek lids on some jars :takingnotes::rockon:


--------------------





An enigma some caerulescens n a mono 😎

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: CAKE WARS II - Ends June 30, 2026 [Re: bloodssonnew] * 1
    #29584075 -



--------------------
The PF Tek is my area.:oldman:

Where all anonymity is lost, there cannot exist a person.

Where one cannot avoid to share, there is God

www.zamnesia.nl
RustyWhyte is Commercial!



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: CAKE WARS II - Ends June 30, 2026 [Re: Cakewonder] * 1
    #29584181 -

Ok, I’ve got 4 of 15 cakes at 100% colonization, so they’ll have a birthday this coming thursday. I have another 4-5 that are very close to 100%, so those will likely also get tapped out on thursday.

This is gonna get a bit tricky for me to keep all of the varieties labeled and organized through the dunk n roll step. Once they make it to the water tub, I’ll have the lids labeled & then they’ll be good to go from there.

Peace to you, all, friends!


--------------------
Peace to you, friend!
The HHG is a guide to getting started.
New User Welcome Wagon
GROWER’S BEST photo contest: join the fun!
CAKE WARS III - Starts SEPT 1, 2026

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: CAKE WARS II - Ends June 30, 2026 [Re: flapping_bird] * 3
    #29584192 -

cakes :mushroom2:


--------------------
HUSTLER
How U Survive This Life Everyday Resourcefully
epic GT mono tub
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/17277772

wbs tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11525679
coir tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11917410
results :thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: CAKE WARS II - Ends June 30, 2026 [Re: Cakewonder] * 5
    #29584262 -

Cakewonder said:
INjured or sick substrates perform badly in any way. You cant fruit "half a cake".



Ive had a ton of cakes that had "badly injured" substrates (when I was experimenting with substrate mixes) the center of the cakes would often become a hard sticky clump of impenetrable mess, but it never seemed to be an issue ime, id just wait for the mycelium to colonize as much as it was able to and then id dig out the uncolonized parts with a tea spoon. Cakes fruit normally and flush several times without issues. Heres proof of this heresy:







Cakes inoculated with a clean culture are literal zombies, you can slap them around like Daffy Duck and they will just say "thank you" and produce canopies.


Maybe I should add that I fruit my cakes around the same temps where they naturally grow, around 30C or 86F. I just got back into bulk growing but now I will start a new batch of cakes just for the heck of it. :hi: hello CW and everyone see yall a little later down the road, hopefully soon

edit: forgot to post proof of the temps lol, I know it sounds scetchy hehe



--------------------
Cakes inside Water Tub with optimal Surface Conditions

Edited by Mateja (05/23/26 03:13 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: CAKE WARS II - Ends June 30, 2026 [Re: Mateja]
    #29584364 -

What's the maximum u've fit in a big water tub for... Science..
Rotations... Yada yada... Science! :rockon: edit. Tryna figure out how many half pints n pints to buy


--------------------





An enigma some caerulescens n a mono 😎

Edited by bloodssonnew (05/23/26 05:57 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: CAKE WARS II - Ends June 30, 2026 [Re: Cakewonder]
    #29584368 -

Cakewonder said:
THe small vacuum (or air shortage indide) does not require more filtering, this was my invention and its nowhere in P.fanaticus first tek. The pop restores oxygen levels and prohibits stalling (if thats the problem..) Its not even in Zirans revised PF TEK.

Thats why I dont take my foil off of the containers before inoculation.

first layer of sterility, the foil you put over when steaming.
Second layer, the dry verm layer.

Personally I wash my jars immediately in cold water to chill them down(with foil on),
the fast temperature change i feel helps due to the thermo-killing properties
of heating something up real fast and then cooling it down real fast.

Its called pasteurization:) At least i THINK thats the case..



I wasn't saying necessarily more filtration, I just meant the filters I'm using obviously aren't allowing for much gas exchange if they're vacuuming shut. But if I'm understanding you correctly, I dont need any SFD's or other filters?  Sorry, not trying to annoy, just would like to understand the process better. Haven't done a whole lot of PF Tek. Thanks for your responses Cake.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: CAKE WARS II - Ends June 30, 2026 [Re: MycDrop]
    #29584595 -

drilling holes (make slightly bigger ones..) is more than enough. The dry verm barrier plus your sterile tek is more than enough, ive done this many times. Cover them with micropore tape, it breathes.


--------------------
The PF Tek is my area.:oldman:

Where all anonymity is lost, there cannot exist a person.

Where one cannot avoid to share, there is God

www.zamnesia.nl
RustyWhyte is Commercial!



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: CAKE WARS II - Ends June 30, 2026 [Re: flapping_bird]
    #29584647 -

Oof, well I may have inadvertently done the right thing. Well, as good as I could.

I had to leave for a week long trip so I dunked the cakes until right before I left, maybe 6 hours ish.

Then I packed on as thick a layer of coir as I could and then put it in a water tub and left the house.

Hopefully it works out this time.

Next cakes I should be around for mostly, and I'll do them right. Didn't realize they needed so much micromanagement... but I've got a trip I'm leaving for on June 13th and I have some late bloomers that may not make the competition cutoff. Maybe if this method works it can be a good way for unattended cakes

:shrug:


--------------------
- My trade list
- New here? Me too! Pop by and say hi c:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: CAKE WARS II - Ends June 30, 2026 [Re: Mateja]
    #29584665 -

My point is that this is a bit like sushi, do it wrong and youll end up with mashed potatoes, I just put very much effort into "perfection" I guess, so youre right, mycelium ismycelium, it will fruit, I know that but I am on the side of the beautifulness of cakes:) I guess I am sucker for looks.


--------------------
The PF Tek is my area.:oldman:

Where all anonymity is lost, there cannot exist a person.

Where one cannot avoid to share, there is God

www.zamnesia.nl
RustyWhyte is Commercial!



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: CAKE WARS II - Ends June 30, 2026 [Re: Archespore]
    #29584784 -

Quote:
Archespore said: Didn't realize they needed so much micromanagement...



They do need that, it seems. However, they can be surprisingly resilient, so we’ll hope for the best for your cakes! Safe travels!


--------------------
Peace to you, friend!
The HHG is a guide to getting started.
New User Welcome Wagon
GROWER’S BEST photo contest: join the fun!
CAKE WARS III - Starts SEPT 1, 2026

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: CAKE WARS II - Ends June 30, 2026 [Re: Cakewonder] * 1
    #29584827 -

Cakewonder said:
mycelium ismycelium, it will fruit, I know that but I am on the side of the beautifulness of cakes:) I guess I am sucker for looks.



If you have pics of cakes that are more aestetically pleasing than those pics I posted of my "badly injured" substrates id very much like to see that, personally I havent seen anywhere anyone grow BRF cakes that consistently produce hundreds of pins that end in 40-50 full grown fruits 70-150g per flush. There's a specific reason I posted these in reference to your claim, and my counter argument is that focus should be on producing clean cultures for inoculate while substrate quality can be experimental and sub optimal and results should mirror fruiting conditions and cleanliness of culture.


here is how un-injured subs look, not much different, mind you with or withour a verm or coir layer. This is why I say focus needs to be on fruiting conditions and clean cultures.


optimal surface conditions: (zoom in to see)


pins pins pins pins (I never assume for more than a 15-25% of fruits to reach maturity for a lush canopy of fruits per flush, nevertheless the more pins a cake produces the more optimally the fruiting conditions are set



--------------------
Cakes inside Water Tub with optimal Surface Conditions

Edited by Mateja (05/24/26 09:00 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: CAKE WARS II - Ends June 30, 2026 [Re: Mateja] * 2
    #29584834 -



I was thinking about calling it quits on this jar because of the obvious contam but the mycelium now appears to be consuming the mold… think I could let it ride? :shrug:


--------------------
I said are you surprised when I touch the dwarf inside?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: CAKE WARS II - Ends June 30, 2026 [Re: xenia] * 1
    #29584841 -


6 days in, I'm quite pleased with how fast they germinated and started spreading. I think I got the moisture level just right this time, I think I might have always made them too wet until now. The myc seems happy but GO FASTER WE HAVE A DEADLINE HERE :mushroom::whip:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: CAKE WARS II - Ends June 30, 2026 [Re: bloodssonnew] * 2
    #29584843 -

bloodssonnew said:
What's the maximum u've fit in a big water tub for... Science..




9-12 cakes is realistically the maximum what would fit in a large tub if cakes fruit simultaneously and produce optimally. Here's for reference 7-9 cakes can fill an entire medium size tub





bloodssonnew said:
Rotations... Yada yada...



Yes, rotate as you see fit, remove substrates that you deem irredeemable, fill up with the good ones and so on. At most im working with up to 80 1/2 pints at a time. As a beginner id reccomed you start with as many jars as you can handle/afford/have time to work with. :super:


--------------------
Cakes inside Water Tub with optimal Surface Conditions

Edited by Mateja (05/24/26 08:55 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | | Last >

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* CAKE WARS III - Starts Sept 1, 2026!
( 1 2 3 4 ... 23 24 )
flapping_bird 5,800 468 09/28/26 05:59 PM
by MushLuvR77
* Cakes nearing the end of life? Oswiu 344 1 04/01/03 12:01 AM
by george castanza
* PR cake going mad BeppoMarx 1,408 1 12/28/01 07:34 PM
by ShroominSpradl
* cakes producing on verm pleezr 879 2 12/25/01 01:55 PM
by sporechase13
* Re: Is it normal for a cake to ..... PappaKaps 863 1 05/15/00 05:28 PM
by Anonymous
* furry, fuzzy cakes... Shiznitz 1,471 5 08/12/01 05:18 PM
by puscle
* Maximizing Yeild per Cake in a Perlite Setup Smokemon 1,229 5 03/27/02 04:57 PM
by pleezr
* MY CAKES ARE TURNING BLUE!!!!! ScottyG420 3,510 3 02/04/02 04:09 AM
by Roadkill

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
11,484 topic views. 20 members, 240 guests and 182 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.031 seconds spending 0.012 seconds on 18 queries.