Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 |
Re: The Official Poppy Growers Thread [Re: nektar61]
    #29321632 -

Haha, it definitely worked with the poppies I had. I think I mixed the dried petals half half with tobacco and had a few ciggies. Was a very pleasant opium buzz after that… mild though


--------------------
"God is an intelligible sphere, whose center is everywhere and whose circumference is nowhere."

Llamando la Mareacion

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Official Poppy Growers Thread [Re: Bardy]
    #29321937 -

Bardy said:
Haha, it definitely worked with the poppies I had. I think I mixed the dried petals half half with tobacco and had a few ciggies. Was a very pleasant opium buzz after that… mild though



Are you a tobacco smoker? if you're not tobacco can give you a head rush, and even for smokers it give a satisfying feeling.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Official Poppy Growers Thread [Re: nektar61] * 2
    #29322212 -

I was a smoker at the time, and I’d also smoked opium by itself previous to that and had eaten it many times. I’m certain that smoking the petals works hey. To some degree. They’re not strong, but you get that opium buzz going a bit if you have no tolerance.

They taste really nice too.

It might not have been half half though, probably was more petals than tobacco.


--------------------
"God is an intelligible sphere, whose center is everywhere and whose circumference is nowhere."

Llamando la Mareacion

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Official Poppy Growers Thread [Re: Bardy] * 5
    #29323014 -

My late bloomers are still throwing up some flowers. :eek:


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Official Poppy Growers Thread [Re: Nickoloxious] * 8
    #29324104 -

Poppy with a couple bees having fun. You can see the pollen basket on one of the legs of the bottom bee.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Official Poppy Growers Thread [Re: nektar61] * 2
    #29324565 -

Bees always go crazy for poppy pollen!

I love it!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Official Poppy Growers Thread [Re: Nickoloxious] * 3
    #29331200 -

Poppbees. Last flower to bloom, so there are bees having a party in there. 
There were 7 bees in this, but 3 flew away when I got near it, so there are 4 bees here.

I think this is Danish Flag variety, but mutant colors. What do you think? It's either that, or something called "Turkish Red", not sure which ones I planted in this spot. I have none that look like classic Danish Flag.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Official Poppy Growers Thread [Re: Nickoloxious] * 9
    #29334648 -

Hail storm knocked down some plants, so I harvested early. Did the job for 2 people.

Still Life with Pops

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Official Poppy Growers Thread [Re: Nickoloxious] * 3
    #29354023 -

So what are good strong varieties, aside from Buddha, and Izmir (Galina) Afghan?

Thank you

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Official Poppy Growers Thread [Re: nektar61] * 10
    #29409764 -

It's nice to finally see some blooms again. :tensegrin:

































It was definitely worth trasplanting some of the ones from the overcrowded patch. Many have done remarkably well in a few of the new beds.

A few more from the apartment back in the suburbs.



Little snack from yesterday. :cool3:


--------------------

Edited by Nickoloxious (11/22/25 09:31 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Official Poppy Growers Thread [Re: Nickoloxious] * 1
    #29428598 -

Papaver somniferum The Giant. Anyone with experience with that one?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Official Poppy Growers Thread [Re: rotvelta] * 1
    #29433789 -

rotvelta said:
Papaver somniferum The Giant. Anyone with experience with that one?



Papaver somniferum Giganteum?

No but I've heard it isn't as strong, so not as good as growing something like Lauren's Grape which is strong, even if you get more pod.

I have grown the PapSom variety "Giant Purple Poppy", which is weak.

A good compromise would be "Hens and Chicks", it's medium strong, and each medium size pod has almost another pod's worth of "chicks", the little mutant podlettes around the pod, 4 to six of these pods (including podlettes) with seeds removed, then shredded and boiled, strained, is a nice buzz:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Official Poppy Growers Thread [Re: nektar61] * 8
    #29465456 -

Just a backlog of photos from the holiday season, they're all gone now. :bliss:


























--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Official Poppy Growers Thread [Re: Nickoloxious] * 6
    #29547072 -



Thinning and weeding as they grow.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Official Poppy Growers Thread [Re: JW123] * 3
    #29550601 -

I've had a rotten year so far.

Spent almost all of my seed stock.

Ants eat most seeds 

Raccoons and squirrels dig up plugs.

Weather all over the place.

Now there are slugs.

I had a great year once.

I think about then.

It looked like this:




Now that I look at these, they don't look that great either. All my years suck.


--------------------
halfass mycology

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Official Poppy Growers Thread [Re: GenericHero] * 2
    #29551467 -

Those look awesome to me! I rarely get such nice clusters in my pots. I still have plenty of time for stuff to go sideways here. I am just doing what I do with most things in life. Hold my breath and hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Official Poppy Growers Thread [Re: GenericHero] * 3
    #29551485 -

GenericHero said:
I've had a rotten year so far.

Spent almost all of my seed stock.

Ants eat most seeds 

Raccoons and squirrels dig up plugs.

Weather all over the place.

Now there are slugs.

I had a great year once.

I think about then.

It looked like this:




Now that I look at these, they don't look that great either. All my years suck.




Darn, sorry to hear about the troubles. Poppies are so delicate and vulnerable to insects & critters while they're young.

Those pink flowers are pretty though! I think they look great, sure they can grow larger but those are some fine & dandy looking poppies :yesnod: .

I've dealt with ants clearing out seeds. Once before I saw 'em clear out damn near an entire patch within the span of a day, easily thousands of seeds.

The last couple years I've tried growing them in pots since I don't have any earth to work with where I'm at now, my seeds were getting old and some seemed to flop over shortly after germinating...some did grow fine but they ended up getting munched on by slugs/snails (and I'm pretty certain pill bugs too, they're detritivores but I think they'll eat some tender/freshly sprouted things).

Last year, though, I did end up with 3 little plants. I used seed from those for this time around. I have a couple pots with several dozen seedlings in each at the moment, I'm going to thin them down to 4 to 7 per pot.


Here's some pics of my best two years. I don't live there anymore and miss having that yard to grow things, also the super warm & sunny climate there would grow them big.



(This was one plant, supa tall & lots of chunky pods>>>)









The variety I grew the most had white flowers with purple streaks through the center of the petals and the petals were smooth on the edge, but these two plants out of several dozen had some different traits.






I made a few pollen chuck crosses. IIRC I crossed those^ with "Black Swan" (dark maroon/black with ruffled/pom pom flowers) but the seeds are old. I want to start playing around with crossing poppy varieties over the years.



-OM

.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Official Poppy Growers Thread [Re: openmind] * 2
    #29551584 -

JW123 said:
Those look awesome to me! I rarely get such nice clusters in my pots. I still have plenty of time for stuff to go sideways here. I am just doing what I do with most things in life. Hold my breath and hope for the best, but expect the worst.



Same. Gotta keep at it. It feels like d day though. Broadcast didn't really work so transplant is the game. I'll send a ship of plugs into the yard and then start another to replace what gets lost. I'm gonna fucking take that beach :mad2:

Quote:
openmind said:...
.



Friggin ants. I wasted most of a jelly jar's worth of seeds trying the direct sow method. I figured it was cold enough that the ants wouldn't be an issue, then we had a crazy hot march and they got most of them. Decided to fall back on transplanting. We'll see how that works out.

Nice pods btw. Huge (")
How do they work? Do you need several to make a good tea or can you just get away with one?

As far as genetics go, I've had the izmir for several years and was hoping to sort of select for my climate. I almost lost all my seed stock due to ants and weather. If I get a decent crop out of this year I'm going to try and sow in the fall and winter and see how that goes. I'd like to try it some other varieties but am afraid of crossing the lines. I might try something different in a pot so I can keep it away from the main crop.

I see those pics with the frilly edged petals. Those are pretty neat looking. I saw that there are izmir poppies with edges like that. I might give those a try. I love their pink flowers.


--------------------
halfass mycology

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Official Poppy Growers Thread [Re: GenericHero] * 2
    #29552129 -

GenericHero said:
Friggin ants. I wasted most of a jelly jar's worth of seeds trying the direct sow method. I figured it was cold enough that the ants wouldn't be an issue, then we had a crazy hot march and they got most of them. Decided to fall back on transplanting. We'll see how that works out.

Nice pods btw. Huge (")
How do they work? Do you need several to make a good tea or can you just get away with one?

As far as genetics go, I've had the izmir for several years and was hoping to sort of select for my climate. I almost lost all my seed stock due to ants and weather. If I get a decent crop out of this year I'm going to try and sow in the fall and winter and see how that goes. I'd like to try it some other varieties but am afraid of crossing the lines. I might try something different in a pot so I can keep it away from the main crop.

I see those pics with the frilly edged petals. Those are pretty neat looking. I saw that there are izmir poppies with edges like that. I might give those a try. I love their pink flowers.




So those pink flowers are the "Izmir" variety? I really like the looks of 'em, even the foliage has some cool pronounced serrated/pointy edges.

I've never tried transplanting with poppies. I know it can be done but poppies are rather sensitive & finicky with being transplanted.

Yea that one variety I grew would produce some damn big pods and most plants had multiple pods, I think 9 pods was the most I counted on one plant. I'm not sure on the variety of those, white smooth edged petals with purple streaks in the center of the petals, someone from the forums here actually gifted me the seed years ago. They were a blue/grey colored seed (bread seed?), where the other variety I've grown has black seeds.

With those big pods, one to two of the large pods in a tea was plenty for me. 2 pods per cup of tea/serving was my standard. I'm not aiming to get loaded or nod, that'd be enough to have me a bit zooted/wrapped in opiated warmth & buzzing and feeling great all day long. The level I aim for I actually find to be kinda energizing/motivating, low to moderate doses tend to make me productive and want to do things, once I get past a certain point though I just want to lay down & melt into the warmth/euphoria lol. With the big pods, 3 pods or more would start to get into nod territory for me and I don't think I ever took more than that.

The other variety I grew, the "Black Swan" which has the maroon ruffled/pom pom flowers, the pods were much smaller than the other variety and the plants didn't produce as many pods but they felt a little bit more potent and had more of an energetic feel to them. I really liked the buzz from the Black Swan pods. With those 2 to 4 pods was plenty, def less weight/material needed than the big pod variety.

I'm thinking about sowing some seed towards the end of this summer/fall. Last year my friend sowed some seed around mid August IIRC, they grew up for a month or two then slowed down through winter, they started to take off again about a month ago and now they're about to bloom within a week or so. Doing that I feel I can get two harvest, sowing some seed at the end of summer then again during late winter/early spring, the seeds sowed in late summer/fall will bloom around April/May here and the winter/spring sowed seeds will bloom in June/July.


I'm looking forward to having a cup of tea in the near future :grin: .



-OM

.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Official Poppy Growers Thread [Re: openmind] * 4
    #29552138 -

Black Swan is one of my favourites.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 |

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Cannabis Growers Unite!...The Official Cannabis Growers Thread
( 1 2 3 4 ... 1565 1566 )
openmind 553,472 31,314 10/03/26 06:21 PM
by Bigworm
* opium poppy growing thread Anonymous 3,435 3 03/06/05 09:10 PM
by theocean06
* Poppies - from Poppyseed to Opium
( 1 2 3 4 ... 32 33 )
AsanteM 272,009 652 09/15/24 07:17 PM
by DAW76
* Poppies? BigJohnson 1,145 7 04/27/03 08:04 PM
by wyldtouch69
* papaver somniferum shriek 2,954 7 05/12/09 06:08 PM
by Nalim
* Growing poppies and questions shaganoz 3,528 10 06/21/02 07:39 AM
by lobo121782
* Poppy Question. AJ420 1,239 6 08/05/02 06:05 PM
by mrMagik
* poppy! Tasty_Smurf_House 1,390 10 11/30/04 09:52 AM
by Stonehenge

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: karode13, Mostly_Harmless, A.k.a
35,944 topic views. 0 members, 5 guests and 32 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.046 seconds spending 0.012 seconds on 18 queries.