Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 1440 | 1441 | 1442 | 1443 | 1444 | 1445 | 1446 | 1447 | 1448 | 1449 | 1450 | 1451 | 1452 | 1453 | 1454 | 1455 | 1456 | 1457 | 1458 | 1459 | 1460 | | Last >
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: MycCycle] * 3
    #29203967 -

MycCycle said:
I'll get the yeast with my next order, Lew, and I'd love that PDA recipe of yours milkboy.

Will be pouring 30 plates of BRF plates today, with a 2% agar content, to see whether I can get something to happen here, before I get PD and yeast.

😁



I use dried potato flakes. Available at any grocery store, or amazon.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/27551422#27551422

To make 80 to 90 plates (if you want to make half as much, divide each ingredient by 2):

--Start with 1.6 liter of distilled water.
--16 grams of dried potato flakes. (you can substitute malt extract, but I've had better results with potato)
--30 grams of powdered agar agar.
--24 grams of dextrose.
--15 grams powdered activated charcoal. (optional)

Stir on stove at medium heat. I use a Immersion Hand Blender  also called a Stick Blender 

I use my PC pot to make the agar. All-purpose witches cauldron. haha .

Edited by nektar61 (04/30/25 06:48 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Tormato] * 8
    #29203976 -




This is a T1 from the grain I managed to revive from a jar.
I sent 2 of the best looking plates to LC.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: nektar61] * 2
    #29204050 -

nektar61 said:
x7x+ climbing the wall of the plate. It wants out.




β€œLet me out, mumma. I want to play.”


--------------------
A Love Letter to New Growers
The 7 Edicts of Mushroom Cultivation as Decreed by Smellyhobbit

:kodama:


Anyone can get a canopy. But can you get what you want?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Smellyhobbit] * 7
    #29204068 -

Allegedly true nats, T1. Good growth for a T1!



--------------------
A Love Letter to New Growers
The 7 Edicts of Mushroom Cultivation as Decreed by Smellyhobbit

:kodama:


Anyone can get a canopy. But can you get what you want?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: nektar61] * 3
    #29204126 -

nektar61 said:
MycCycle said:
I'll get the yeast with my next order, Lew, and I'd love that PDA recipe of yours milkboy.

Will be pouring 30 plates of BRF plates today, with a 2% agar content, to see whether I can get something to happen here, before I get PD and yeast.

😁



I use dried potato flakes. Available at any grocery store, or amazon.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/27551422#27551422

To make 80 to 90 plates (if you want to make half as much, divide each ingredient by 2):

--Start with 1.6 liter of distilled water.
--16 grams of dried potato flakes. (you can substitute malt extract, but I've had better results with potato)
--30 grams of powdered agar agar.
--24 grams of dextrose.
--15 grams powdered activated charcoal. (optional)

Stir on stove at medium heat. I use a Immersion Hand Blender  also called a Stick Blender 

I use my PC pot to make the agar. All-purpose witches cauldron. haha .





:whatshesaid:

Used Potato flakes and a squeeze of Karo... for 10 years before ever trying Lme

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Smellyhobbit]
    #29204138 -

Smellyhobbit said:
Allegedly true nats, T1. Good growth for a T1!





Whats the correlation between growth quality and number of transfers?


--------------------


Hitchhikers Guide to The Shroomery

Shine on forever, shine on benevolent son
Shine down upon the severed
Shine until the two become one

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: ThurmanMurman] * 4
    #29204147 -

Just that it’s less likely to have good symmetry on a T1 vs later transfers. Choosing mycelium from a germ plate, it’s rare you get super clean edges. In fact, the germ plate was dozens of little colonies all mashed together, but the transfer looks β€œrefined,” so to speak. I don’t expect to see this before T2, much less 2 transfers being that uniform.


--------------------
A Love Letter to New Growers
The 7 Edicts of Mushroom Cultivation as Decreed by Smellyhobbit

:kodama:


Anyone can get a canopy. But can you get what you want?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Smellyhobbit] * 2
    #29204156 -

Smellyhobbit said:
Just that it’s less likely to have good symmetry on a T1 vs later transfers. Choosing mycelium from a germ plate, it’s rare you get super clean edges. In fact, the germ plate was dozens of little colonies all mashed together, but the transfer looks β€œrefined,” so to speak. I don’t expect to see this before T2, much less 2 transfers being that uniform.



Maaaan that really filled in a blank. I was wondering why some cultures looked so damn good and some of them didnt. I never made the connection to number of transfers. Thank you!



--------------------


Hitchhikers Guide to The Shroomery

Shine on forever, shine on benevolent son
Shine down upon the severed
Shine until the two become one

Edited by ThurmanMurman (04/30/25 09:37 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Infinite Monkeys] * 5
    #29204510 -

Infinite Monkeys said:



This is a T1 from the grain I managed to revive from a jar.
I sent 2 of the best looking plates to LC.



These look really good, Monkeys. You've come a long way around here.

Pic tax, a sliver of colonized activated charcoal agar about to be flipped face down onto a new plate.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: nektar61] * 1
    #29204760 -

nektar61 said:
MycCycle said:
I'll get the yeast with my next order, Lew, and I'd love that PDA recipe of yours milkboy.

Will be pouring 30 plates of BRF plates today, with a 2% agar content, to see whether I can get something to happen here, before I get PD and yeast.

😁



I use dried potato flakes. Available at any grocery store, or amazon.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/27551422#27551422

To make 80 to 90 plates (if you want to make half as much, divide each ingredient by 2):

--Start with 1.6 liter of distilled water.
--16 grams of dried potato flakes. (you can substitute malt extract, but I've had better results with potato)
--30 grams of powdered agar agar.
--24 grams of dextrose.
--15 grams powdered activated charcoal. (optional)

Stir on stove at medium heat. I use a Immersion Hand Blender  also called a Stick Blender 

I use my PC pot to make the agar. All-purpose witches cauldron. haha .




I'll give this one a shot, you've got some good recommendations Nektar ☺️

The stick blender is always included when making agar, on my part 😁

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: MycCycle] * 2
    #29204794 -

Stick blenders are one of the best all-around kitchen tools, I have 2 now.


--------------------
"For the powerful freedom-takers who rob justice from us all, that's why I keep my pistol loaded, powder, cap, and ball..."
Read more, post less!
...turns out, I'm an amateur at everything

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: KlarnEvil9] * 6
    #29204801 -

Goodwill is always stuffed to the gills with immersion blenders.  I got a nice new kitchenaid there for $5.


--------------------
πŸ…ƒπŸ„΄πŸ„°πŸ„Ό πŸ„ΈπŸ„·πŸ„ΎπŸ„Ώ


New to cultivation or the shroomery?  Observe the hitchhiker's guide

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Shroomery



Smellyhobbit said:
"Wiping a needle with isopropyl after flame sterilization is like shitting after you wipe your ass."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Mr Piggy] * 5
    #29204825 -

Noice. My original Braun one is still going strong after at least 25 years.

edit: pic tax - Tico T4s:


Thank you, Axman!!!


--------------------
"For the powerful freedom-takers who rob justice from us all, that's why I keep my pistol loaded, powder, cap, and ball..."
Read more, post less!
...turns out, I'm an amateur at everything

Edited by KlarnEvil9 (05/01/25 02:54 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: KlarnEvil9] * 7
    #29205226 -

KlarnEvil9 said:
Noice. My original Braun one is still going strong after at least 25 years.




"Someday, son, this stick blender will be yours. I used it for 60 years, once a month to make agar for shrooms."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: nektar61] * 5
    #29205283 -

Took these pics last night…

Mazatapec T1 after about 30 hours. Aggressive little bugger!



β€”β€”β€”

T1 transfers ready for grain. Have I waited to long on these, or should have I sent them sooner? Should I also take a T2 from these before sending these to grain, or at least a sample for a cryovial?




Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: AZ Starman2112] * 8
    #29205313 -

The only cabin I'll ever afford :lol:


--------------------
β€œAll Fungi are edible.

Some fungi are only edible once.”
― Terry Pratchett


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Kloakk] * 1
    #29205322 -

Kloakk said:
The only cabin I'll ever afford :lol:




Bro, those plates looks like agar porn!:mindblown:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: nektar61] * 8
    #29205579 -

nektar61 said:
KlarnEvil9 said:
Noice. My original Braun one is still going strong after at least 25 years.



"Someday, son, this stick blender will be yours. I used it for 60 years, once a month to make agar for shrooms."



... and twice a year for creamy giblet gravy.


Pix tax:

Mex Chicon Nindo x2, Cube x7x+, Cube cross Phantom, Natalensis, Ochraceocentrata, Pan Bisporus, Pan Burringbar

Need my new Presto to get here to cook up some jars.


--------------------
Stoned Gummys | BRF Pucks | Primo Reusable Plates | Easy LI 4 Preserv & Propo
"Psychedelics are powerful substances. Nothing that powerful is completely safe... and nothing completely safe is that powerful!" - Abigail Calder at ALPS 2023
Don't Panic

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: ReverendMyc] * 14
    #29205764 -



--------------------


Hitchhikers Guide to The Shroomery

Shine on forever, shine on benevolent son
Shine down upon the severed
Shine until the two become one

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: ThurmanMurman] * 2
    #29205776 -

ThurmanMurman said:




:homerdrool:


--------------------
Learn it, know it, live it


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 1440 | 1441 | 1442 | 1443 | 1444 | 1445 | 1446 | 1447 | 1448 | 1449 | 1450 | 1451 | 1452 | 1453 | 1454 | 1455 | 1456 | 1457 | 1458 | 1459 | 1460 | | Last >

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Agar...Rye...Straw...Grain... Quik_N_Kool 1,703 7 10/02/03 04:33 AM
by Baby_Hitler
* agar to agar / g2g degeneration effects ohmatic 2,913 11 01/17/05 03:46 PM
by MushroomFriend
* do you let it cool down first using agar? crazytab 2,330 4 01/20/04 06:51 PM
by plura16
* Agar ??? Semilanceata 541 4 02/28/04 05:20 AM
by Semilanceata
* Contam in Agar alt. MushroomFriend 1,834 5 12/28/04 03:13 PM
by MushroomFriend
* Inoculating agar with a liquid culture? GnuBobo 10,333 8 11/19/05 01:16 AM
by GnuBobo
* Myc defeating mold kronnyQ 2,089 10 04/28/05 04:53 AM
by blackout
* if you pc mold, is it still mold? swiftrance 620 5 10/29/05 06:52 AM
by FooMan

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
775,980 topic views. 25 members, 120 guests and 302 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.05 seconds spending 0.025 seconds on 16 queries.