Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Mycobags, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineQuik_N_Kool
Stranger
Agar...Rye...Straw...Grain...
    #1971012 - 10/01/03 11:47 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Hello,
I am planning to begin a project this evening and require a bit of assistance from this consortium. I have aquired 3 Mycobags each containing different substrates. In case you have no knowledge of what a mycobag is it is an autoclav bag with a filter patch, self healing injector site, and is filled with a substrate. The 3 substrates that are in my bags are rye grain, straw/verm mix, and a grain/verm mix. All have come presterilized and each bag is filled with a pound of substrate mix. I also have obtained one spore syringe with a Malabar strain of Ps. Cub. In addition I have also aquired an agar kit containing a jar full of already sterile agar, 20 plates, and an small alcohol lamp.

I cannot aquire any more syringes and would like to innoculate not only the plates but the 3 myco bags as well. Can someone sugguest the best possible way to go about doing this given my particular situation... I was thinking perhaps innoculating the plates first then making a mycellial solution to inject into the bags...About how much spore syringe would be needed to innoculate 1lb of bagged substrate??? 1cc? How would I go about re-heating the agar and pouring it into the plates in a sterile manner? This agar is gel-ed in a mason jar and has been certified free of contams.

I would appriciate any input and will be updating this post throughout the night as I have decided to use the materials immediatly. Any links to faqs are appriciated but a personal responce with say steps to go from here to completion are even more appriciated.
Thanks

Also here is a link to the agar kit I have
http://www.sporeworks.com/basicagarkit.html

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineHigh_On_Magic
Re: Agar...Rye...Straw...Grain... [Re: Quik_N_Kool]
    #1971017 - 10/01/03 11:49 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

umm put half cc on each tray, then use the rest id assume 33 cc's for each bag

OfflineQuik_N_Kool
Stranger
Re: Agar...Rye...Straw...Grain... [Re: High_On_Magic]
    #1971038 - 10/01/03 11:56 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

thanks what about as far as the agar how would I go about reliquifing the agar and pouring it into the plates?

OfflineQuik_N_Kool
Stranger
    #1971082 - 10/02/03 12:07 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Also anyone have experience with the Malabar?

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
    #1971878 - 10/02/03 05:32 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

hello  :smile:

thanks for the nice detailed post, and for the link to a cheap agar starter kit. i can't help you with that bit.

if i were you, i'd put 1 tsp corn syrup in a jar with 100ml water and a couple pieces of glass / a nail / whatever.. and a hole in the lid, shake it up well to dissolve it, pc 20 mins, cool well, then squirt in 1ml from the spore syringe. a week later you'll have 100ml of liquid mycelium, enough to shoot up 30 or more mycobags.

i'd leave the straw/verm bag for another (non-cubensis) project.

hope this didn't confuse too much. cubensis grows best for beginners on verm/flour or on grains. going straight to straw is tricky. if you want to see some malabar fruiting shots, look in the completed growlogs - i did a malabar grow 6 months or so ago.

--------------------
buh

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Agar...Rye...Straw...Grain... [Re: shirley knott]
    #1971886 - 10/02/03 05:42 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

what about as far as the agar how would I go about reliquifing the agar and pouring it into the plates?

Read this: http://www.mushmush.nl/methods/methodes_nr.php?nr=9

[edit] Sorry, the above link doesn't work...go to http://www.mushmush.nl choose Methods from the menu, then Working with Agar.

Edited by koraks (10/02/03 05:45 AM)

OfflineQuik_N_Kool
Stranger
Re: Agar...Rye...Straw...Grain... [Re: shirley knott]
    #1971898 - 10/02/03 06:13 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

thank you not confusing at all...I might not have access to a pressure cooker... would the contam ratio be to high to even bother if I were to say boil the full jar? Also after injecting the spores into the jar what would be a good place to keep the innoculated solution for a week? The fridge? Someplace warm?

As far as a little backround I have grown twice before with jars and fruited the cakes. I was planning on adding a compost case to the straw/verm bag as well as the plain rye once they were colonized

Does a 5lbs:2lbs ratio compost:colonized substrate sound feasable when casing?

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #1971916 - 10/02/03 06:33 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Now would be a good time for you to learn more about peroxide.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Mycobags, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation