Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinenambi
journeyman
 User Gallery
Casing Straw with Verm
    #2130358 - 11/23/03 01:05 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I have had a lot of bad runs on plantation due to contamination, and I thought I finally discovered the trick until today, cobweb mold all over my casing.

Here was my tech. What did I do wrong?

Grain (Rye) w B+

Colonized well, straw was pasteurized in the oven at 175o for 2 hours drained in a hanging bag over night and thrown in to a clean garbage bag, mixed in with colonized grain. Small holes put in the bag after 2 days and 1 week later everything looked colonized.

Put a layer of verm (microwaved in the casing bottom) filled the colonized rye/straw in the case and topped it off with verm. and put away.

** Is this where I screwed up??**

A few pieces of straw were sticking out through the verm layer; does the verm have to COMPLETELY cover the straw?

Also after I cased these, I put plastic wrap over top and taped it around. do these need to breath? Do I need to let some air exchange between the case and the air??

Do i wait to see the first pin before I put it in the chamber? It's been 1 week since I would like to promote growth, do I need to move them into colder temps for this?
\
I sprayed the cobweb mold with peroxide/water and took the plastic wrap off and put the Tupperware lid on (not airtight) The mold isn't terrible but once the mold starts it's almost impossible for me to stop it.

Is there anything I can do??

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Casing Straw with Verm [Re: nambi]
    #2130407 - 11/23/03 01:43 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

When you put the little holes in the garbage bag was the air able to touch the substrate without going threw a filter or anything? That sounds like the most risky part to me.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinenambi
journeyman
 User Gallery
Re: Casing Straw with Verm [Re: Magash]
    #2130604 - 11/23/03 04:34 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I thought so too, but after the week all was colonized and the straw was looking healthy.

Offlinejumpship
lawn boy

Re: Casing Straw with Verm [Re: nambi]
    #2130822 - 11/23/03 07:06 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

got the same problems you have, it seems that straw is just tougher to get right than most things i have worked with.

having it colonize in 7 days is great, so you got some of it right at least. my probs were in that i was not using enough spawn.

"A few pieces of straw were sticking out through the verm layer; does the verm have to COMPLETELY cover the straw?"

cover it really well, any straw sticking up is a vector for contams to enter.

"Also after I cased these, I put plastic wrap over top and taped it around. do these need to breath? Do I need to let some air exchange between the case and the air??"

just for the short time it takes to let the myc get a hold in the casing layer i have not found air exchange to be much of a problem. just poke a couple of small holes in the plastic wrap.

"Do i wait to see the first pin before I put it in the chamber? It's been 1 week since I would like to promote growth, do I need to move them into colder temps for this?"

no, you should move it to your chamber when you have some nice myc breaking through the casing layer, i go with 20 to 30% some may do otherwise. the drop in temps should help to promote pinning.

"I sprayed the cobweb mold with peroxide/water and took the plastic wrap off and put the Tupperware lid on (not airtight) The mold isn't terrible but once the mold starts it's almost impossible for me to stop it."

"Is there anything I can do??"

this i can't be much help with, if it gets f'ed i usally just toss it. tried to fight it by scooping out the infected area and spraying down with the h2o2. had it work on about 1 out of 3. better then nothing. yet i think my source of contams were coming up from the straw not from the casing layer.

best of luck to you.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation