Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineRafael
Stranger
casing with verm
    #421415 - 10/10/01 11:59 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

this is my first post and i have a few questions about casing. i started my batch with 16 1/2 pint jars using the brf/verm substrate. half are thai lipa yai, and half are cambodia. i just birthed my first 2 cakes and have few more that are fully colonized and will be birthed soon. I had planned on using the cake method for the whole batch. however, the cambodia is colonizing very very slowly, and i'm losing more cakes to contamination as time goes on. so i want to know if i can start a casing using cakes that are only partially colonized. i plan on using straight vermiculite, putting a layer on the bottom, then crumbling some cakes on top, then putting another layer on top of that. will this work and is it a good idea or am i taking the wrong approach? thanks for any help.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
Re: casing with verm [Re: Rafael]
    #421684 - 10/11/01 08:20 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

That'll work. Just cut away any uncolonized substrate.

OfflineBullfrog
enthusiast

Re: casing with verm [Re: Rafael]
    #421685 - 10/11/01 08:21 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Raf,
You can case the uncolonized, but cut away and dispose of the uncolonized material.Use 1/2 to 1 inch layer of verm on the bottom and 1/4 to 1/2 for the top layer. Cover with some plastic wrap, poke some holes in the plastic and put it in the dark for at least 3-5 days.Don't mist too heavily after those first few days. You might not have to mist at all, depending on the moisture content.As the mycelium begins to poke thru the top, sprinkle some more verm on those areas.Be patient and wait.Verm only casings are a good beginner tek.

Good luck and good growing :cool:

The bus came by, and I got on.......
||  Grateful Dead  ||

--------------------
The bus came by, and I got on.......
|| Grateful Dead ||

InvisibleFungusFarmer
old hand

Re: casing with verm [Re: Bullfrog]
    #421731 - 10/11/01 09:33 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

My pet monkey has great success casing with verm and has never had to spray one yet. Just like Bullfrog said, cover it with seran wrap and use a few rubber bands to hold it on there. In his experience, don't poke holes in the plastic wrap it may just invite contams. When the mycelium has grown over 33% of the casing, start lifing the seran wrap once a day so you can fan away the stale air, and expose it to light for a few hours. When the pins are too large to fit under the seran wrap, stick it in a terrarium, has worked wonders :)

Grover

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"What did you dream...it's all right we told you what to dream! Welcome, my son, to The Machine" Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

--------------------
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- "What did you dream...it's all right we told you what to dream! Welcome, my son, to The Machine" Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation