Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblebandaid
clever title

Who here meditates?,how long?,& with or without substances?
    #2892295 - 07/15/04 03:24 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Ive meditated quite a few times before not much though, I tried 15min all the way up to an hour. Through my experience I found an hour can be very tedious and anything less than 15min too short. So far I think the best time for me is around 20-40min. Seems enough time to get deep into it, but not long enough to make you uncomfortable.

Whats a decent amount of time for meditating for you ppl?, and does anyone use substances to help meditate? (this is not referring to the people who take substances and unintentionaly find themselves meditating, but more for those who set out and planned to specificly just meditate).

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePositronius
playboy

Loc: montreal-vancouver-tokyo
Re: Who here meditates?,how long?,& with or without subs [Re: bandaid]
    #2892329 - 07/15/04 04:21 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I walk around in the middle of night and reflect on the atmosphere, for about 45mins.

--------------------
and you know it like a poet, like....babydoll

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Who here meditates?,how long?,& with or without substances? [Re: bandaid]
    #2892330 - 07/15/04 04:22 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

20-40 min at a sitting is excellent.
many who go longer get up between (at 20 minute breaks for stretches and often some ritual)
If I am lying down I will go longer, such as during the conversion of a sleepless night into a treasure of connecting with the moment.
substances are not really part of it for me, though if a trip is difficult I will take some refuge in following the breath and or keeping awareness on posture or contact points. that is often really good.
my usual meditation technique is to focus attention on tip of nose, and to keep it there. during the in breath I follow "beginning, middle end.." and during the out breath "beginning middle end". if the words are out of synch I fix it without chastisement, if the mind drifts I return to it, if it is a long breath I may note "it is a long breath"
very simple. not too simple.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #2892464 - 07/15/04 06:14 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Usually twice a day... twenty minutes or so with the sunrise in the morning, and usually an hour or two before bed at night... I also try to keep an empty mind whenever I can, such as waiting in lines at the bank, etc...

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleAbstractHarmonix
Love is like a train...
Female

Loc: The Sea
    #2893052 - 07/15/04 10:23 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Meditation is a personal forte of mine.
I normally do a session of yoga in the mornings, followed by deep breathing meditation. The time it takes for me to reach complete mental clairty, without substance, is about 10-15 minutes in itself. Then the actual mediatation proceeds for another 15-30 minutes.

I start with the tips of my toes, focusing on nothingness, counting to one if I am restless (which is often for me, destined) then slowly through the rest of my body, taking into deep consideration every carsupal and ligement, cartlidge and bone, and natural endorphines being released when I finally reach the relaxation of my head. This is when I have achieved weightlessness.

After the weightlessness, I might open my eyes and look to a flame, the fire, is the realm of things in this state for me.
I normally come out of my meditation completely rejuvinated, fulfilled...
Meditation, in my case, is my great alternative to sleep. Perosnally, one hour of mantra equals a 9 hours sleep period for me.

I was reading another thread on how sleep is not really neccessary, and it went further to discuss the insomnia breeding into the 5th dimension. I think if that poster would have included mediatation in the thread, I could have relate more easily with the subject.

As far as substance meditation, I am in complete favor.
My favorite meditational substance is by far, Salvia. This is the mediatation that enlightens Self and intuition for me. Now this can be attained without substance, but for now I am into experiencing psychedelics.
I had a very interesting mediation session involving fly aragic aminitas, very infin ite, spiraling, celtic. I was thrown into this celtic-mantra...this is one of the things that if put in words degrades the situation.

So in closing, mediation is a beautiful thing, and being able to center yourself, to expereince nothingness, this is true nirvana of Self. Through substance or not, it is still a very enlightening endeavor, and always remember, meditate with caution.

Go ahead, sink in...

--------------------
A plethora of music aspirations control my temptations of future revelations beyond "now". The percussion, and the heart beat of my love and devotion. The rhythm goes beyond, prying into the third eye, releasing the creativity held so far inside. The melodicies, through the out of tune pianos and broken classical guitars...there lies a beauty. A beauty as prevelent as the fire inside. To release these energies is pure ecstacy, to deveop these gifts is sacred. The vocality, so pure as can be, shying away from herself, lies within me. For the underlying serenitity, this is what I live for. I plea for harmony, and nothing more. Music equals love. Creation of love leads to the procreativity of the World, and it's spirals and puddles prevailing.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2893393 - 07/15/04 12:54 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I have trouble meditating while sober, but I love doing it while stoned or tripping. I spent my first mescaline trip mostly meditating.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineHarveyWalbanger
Demiurge
Male

Loc: 8b
    #2893483 - 07/15/04 01:18 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I once used those chinese health balls for hours at a time. Incredibly relaxing when you really fall into a rhythm....

OfflinePhishgrrl
Walking in thetall trees...
 User Gallery

#2893545 - 07/15/04 01:37 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I love to meditate, especially to wind down before going to bed. Marijuana, salvia and mushrooms and acid are especially condusive for my meditation....I am really enjoying salvia for this purpose lately...I will have to try kava next.

I don't have a daily routine right now, I have in the past off and on- but use sitting meditation when I need it extra bad. (which in reality is every day- argh!) Usually if I do it at night, I wait until everyone is asleep, make sure my space is clean and clutter free, do some "praying", perhaps light a candle and some incense, or partake of the plant ally, and then meditate for an hour or so.

I practice plain ole mindfulness meditation whenever I remember to.

--------------------
Once in awhile you can get shown the light

In the strangest of places if you look at it right...

Anonymous

#2893637 - 07/15/04 02:09 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I don't really know how to meditate, but usually 2 or 3 times a day I'll just zone out and stare into space. These come on like urges too, I can't really control the times that it happens. I guess that's my mind's way of meditation. I do that for maybe 5 to 10 minutes each time. It helps me to clear my mind of all the information it's been collecting throughout the day. I liken it to cleaning out your air conditioner filter. :smirk:

Invisiblebandaid
clever title

Re: Who here meditates?,how long?,& with or without substances? [Re: ]
    #2893768 - 07/15/04 03:12 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Max Headroom said:
I don't really know how to meditate, but usually 2 or 3 times a day I'll just zone out and stare into space. These come on like urges too, I can't really control the times that it happens.

Thats called total utterly sloth laziness :drooling:

rofl! just kidding I couldnt resist :grin:

Great info and insights by everyone here, very explanative, really appreciate it, alot more to think about now.

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
    #2894889 - 07/15/04 09:00 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

i have meditated on opiates... i tend to do this alot... also not an opiate but its cousin the california golden poppy... a joint of this is a very good sedative to relax on... the flavor is smoother than a cigarette and its not hard to get... ive also meditated on fly agarics... my post on underage sex and stuff was me meditating on fly agarics...

Anonymous

Re: Who here meditates?,how long?,& with or without substanc [Re: bandaid]
    #2895002 - 07/15/04 09:26 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

every now and then i get into it again. sometimes i go without doing it for a while and then i sit for a little while and i'm like, "wow. i really should do that every day" when i'm finished. i haven't meditated in a little while. maybe i'll do it tonight.

i usually sit for between 20 minutes and an hour. no substances of course.

OfflineBlue_Apocalypse
Central NervousSystem

Loc: Illinois
    #2895678 - 07/16/04 12:19 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I meditate every day for about 30 mins and I meditate on Sundays for about 6-7 hours. Meditation is not just sitting there and concentrating...It can and should be a very active excercise. I like to find different things to meditate on such as geometric figures like hexagrams or various philosophical ideas that will keep my mind focused. I will usually move around the room and find a position that best suits my mood, because your body position directly influences your psychological orientation. Sometimes I meditate best when im simply pacing back and forth, thinking deeply about something. What im getting at is, you dont have to just assume a position and sit there for as long as possible to meditate. Meditation is such a general term that it can be used to describe many different ways of using the mind.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: Who here meditates?,how long?,& with or without substanc [Re: bandaid]
    #2896738 - 07/16/04 11:30 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Meditating while intoxicated is ridiculous. Meditation is for clearing the mind...why pollute this by introducing mind clouding chemicals.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: Who here meditates?,how long?,& with or without substanc [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #2896760 - 07/16/04 11:34 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Everything you do is a chemical reaction. Why do foreign substances cloud the mind any more than the dopamine and seratonin already in your brain?

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: Who here meditates?,how long?,& with or without subs [Re: silversoul7]
    #2896786 - 07/16/04 11:42 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

"Why do foreign substances cloud the mind any more than the dopamine and seratonin already in your brain? "

If you can't see the fault in that logic you are crazy...because dopamine and seratonin are NOT foreign substances in the proper concentrations. Foreign substances are just that...FOREIGN.If you have ever taken a psychedelic you know that they accelerate your thought process not inhibit it. Intense single minded conentration is more difficult due to the sensory flood. Working from a sober frame of mind is more practical and useful for meditation...drugs, while having their place, are not a substitute for sobriety. In the end it is practical results that matter; drugs make this less practical.

Offlinefungis_eata
strangerrrr
Loc: neverland
Re: Who here meditates?,how long?,& with or without subs [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #2896945 - 07/16/04 12:22 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

If you can't see the fault in that logic you are crazy...because dopamine and seratonin are NOT foreign substances in the proper concentrations. Foreign substances are just that...FOREIGN.If you have ever taken a psychedelic you know that they accelerate your thought process not inhibit it. Intense single minded conentration is more difficult due to the sensory flood. Working from a sober frame of mind is more practical and useful for meditation...drugs, while having their place, are not a substitute for sobriety. In the end it is practical results that matter; drugs make this less practical...to me, because it is only MY opinion and I can't speak for the rest of us.

:grin:
~Jon~

InvisibleJenny
part of thewhole
Male User Gallery

Loc: Columbus, OHIO
    #2898038 - 07/16/04 06:36 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU USE SUBSTANCES IN MEDITATION?
I CAN"T TELL YOU HOW POINTLESS THAT IS!

Try meditating twice a day for 20 minutes. Thats pretty standard. The key to meditation in consistency, twice a day, everyday.

--------------------

Mindfulness is the aware, balanced acceptance of the present experience.
It isn't more complicated than that.
It is opening to or recieving the present moment, pleasant or unpleasant, just as it is,
without either clinging to it or rejecting it.

Invisiblebandaid
clever title

Re: Who here meditates?,how long?,& with or without substances? [Re: Jenny]
    #2898180 - 07/16/04 07:30 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Jenny said:
WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU USE SUBSTANCES IN MEDITATION?
I CAN"T TELL YOU HOW POINTLESS THAT IS!

Try meditating twice a day for 20 minutes. Thats pretty standard. The key to meditation in consistency, twice a day, everyday.

Calm down cat woman :argh: (I love these smileys :grin:), why the hell would I? I have ideas but not sure how they would work out just yet. It seems from posters here it isnt a bad idea (though I can almost bet that ppls defenitions here for what exactly is meditation differs quite a bit), it was just a question. Is it stupid?, I dont know, is it great?, I dont know, thats why Im asking around.

Ive read your meditation post a long while back so I know you know about meditating (atleast in your own defenition), so I "respect" your opinion however it would be nice if you explained why you hate even the suggestion of using substances. Thx for the advice btw.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: Who here meditates?,how long?,& with or without substances? [Re: Jenny]
    #2898238 - 07/16/04 08:02 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Meditating at the beginning of a trip helps me steer the trip in a more spiritual direction. What's wrong with that?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies