Home | Community | Message Board

PlanetSpores.ca
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

North Spore Shop: Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
poll, Do you soak or precook grains?
    #2642007 -

Vote now!... well if you use grains.


I recently went to precooking my grain since its much faster and i done need to plan ahead as much. Also, i hate the smell of fermented grains. I noticed the grain is more mushy when precooked, so im guessing it holds more moisture which should equate to larger flushes.
Do you soak or precook grains?
You may choose only one


Votes accepted from 05/05/04 12:00 AM until the end of time

View the results of this poll


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: poll, Do you soak or precook grains? [Re: Gr0wer]
    #2642087 -

I prefer to soak. Soaking will germinate bacterial endospores and make them easier to kill. It is also a lot harder to get it wrong. I can soak my grain for 12-24 hours with no problems. Try cooking your grain for 5-10 minutes too long and you'll end up with a mess.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: poll, Do you soak or precook grains? [Re: YidakiMan]
    #2642099 -

i think both teks have their points,
but i boil, cant wait so long


--------------------
The Source Of The Force
Is The Power Of The Mind


"if you don't like what you're doing, you can always pick up your needle and move to another groove." - timothy leary"
Anno: "-I can do anything with those clouds!"
Annos Tek



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: poll, Do you soak or precook grains? [Re: Gr0wer]
    #2642290 -

All I do is load my jars with the proper amount of grain and water, with a knife-tip of gypsom, and let that soak over night. Then I pressure cook them to sterilize. So easy.


--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: poll, Do you soak or precook grains? [Re: Ekstaza]
    #2642671 -

Ekstaza said:
All I do is load my jars with the proper amount of grain and water, with a knife-tip of gypsom, and let that soak over night. Then I pressure cook them to sterilize. So easy.



easier said than done. this ratio can be difficult to perfect and can vary with ambient humidity/temps.

soaking, while time consuming, is an extremely easy way to practically insure proper water content (draining is important).

I am curious if people are presoaking straw or just immediately pasteurising it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: poll, Do you soak or precook grains? [Re: Gr0wer]
    #2642687 -

neither, load the jars up with the right amounts and pc right away.

peace


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: poll, Do you soak or precook grains? [Re: @cro]
    #2642711 -

OH yea, it's a lot easier to soak 20-50 lbs of grain rather than cook it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: poll, Do you soak or precook grains? [Re: debianlinux]
    #2642712 -

I have found that different batches of rye that I purchase from my local co-op hold different amounts of water,so this along with what debianlinux stated makes it difficult/or at the very least annoying sometimes.I soak overnight.


--------------------
Butternut squash are softer than acorn or other types of squash, which makes them easier to cut and prepare.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: poll, Do you soak or precook grains? [Re: YidakiMan]
    #2643541 -

YidakiMan said:
I prefer to soak. Soaking will germinate bacterial endospores and make them easier to kill. It is also a lot harder to get it wrong. I can soak my grain for 12-24 hours with no problems. Try cooking your grain for 5-10 minutes too long and you'll end up with a mess.



I was a believer of this too, and thought it was an advantage . But since ive gone to preccoking ive seen no contams so i see no advantage in sterility issue. I have however noticed how its a bit more touchy how long they are pre cooked but i found it i just tastse test the grain (its not good but not bad) till its core is cooked and shoft but not too mushey, it comes out just perfect.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: poll, Do you soak or precook grains? [Re: debianlinux]
    #2644197 -

Quote:
I am curious if people are presoaking straw or just immediately pasteurising it.





I soak for maybe an hour and then oven pasteurize.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

North Spore Shop: Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* SOAKING WBS - GRAINS & TIMES - FINAL ANSWER
( 1 2 3 4 all )
agar 43,931 74 05/09/19 11:38 AM
by Mr. Funguy
* Question about soaking rye grain. Oddish 1,540 9 08/21/05 12:17 AM
by OldSpice
* Problem: I soaked the grain, rinsed but still came out dry!! d fuNk22 1,413 10 08/17/03 12:20 AM
by Demiurge
* why do you need a 24 hr soak for grain?? willmafingerdo 372 2 08/06/05 04:31 PM
by willmafingerdo
* Poll: 12 or 24 Hr Soak DK1 949 9 10/21/05 05:56 PM
by agar
* 21 hour soak bird seed smells funny
( 1 2 all )
thatbig 5,468 25 08/19/04 05:05 PM
by Gr0wer
* Soak WBS for 36 hrs? johnjohnandjamal 3,119 12 11/18/05 02:55 PM
by agar
* Rye Grain Mix Moisture Test .... ! RESULT ! wise_gardener 3,324 8 08/30/05 01:09 AM
by Bobo

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
1,182 topic views. 16 members, 87 guests and 220 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.065 seconds spending 0.044 seconds on 22 queries.