Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 21 hour soak bird seed smells funny [Re: thatbig]
    #2947750 - 07/31/04 08:16 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Well with the rye I get, you can take 2 quarts full of dry grain and soak it which makes it about 3 1/2 quarts then simmer it and it makes it about 7 1/2 quarts so it definatly soaks up water in both processes. I cased 11 days after innoculation so pretty quick growth. No contams either. Maybe it works well now, for you Satori, but maybe it will work better if you simmer :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleretread
-=HasH=-
Re: 21 hour soak bird seed smells funny [Re: thatbig]
    #2947970 - 07/31/04 09:37 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

thatbig said:
I purchased some wbs, strained out all the sunflower seeds and all the floating material.  It has been soaking for 21 hours now and has a strange smell like a sweet sour smell, kinda funky.

This isnt' really related to your question, but you might as well leave the sunflower seeds in there. Someone (maybe Procule or Alien?) told me that they contain some protein compound that helps mushrooms grow. With cubensis, it doesn't really matter, but it won't hurt to have sunflower seeds or other 'floaters' in the mix.
Quote:

Why is that?  I've read others have let there wbs soak too long, (eg 36 hours!)  I've been under the impression 24 hours was fairly normal.  Can someone advise me to either a)  rinse off and pressure cook now or b) start again soaking for a shorter period of time:)

The twofold purpose of soaking is this; to get the grains to the proper moisture level to support mycelial growth, and to activate any microbiotic spores in the grains that would possibly survive sterilization techniques. When you soak the grains, you activate the dormant spores (with endospores being one of the bigger targets) that are contained in the grain. The smell you smell is that of fermentation and these spores beginning to colonize and germinate. The spores are somewhat heat resistant and could survive autoclaving, but the microorganisms themselves can not. The smell is an indication that it is working.  You always want to do a very good rinsing of your grains before allowing them to sit and drain. I've found that a pull out sprayer for a sink works great. Use hot water and, depending on your water heater settings, you'll be rinsing off a lot of those nasty contaminants-to-be with 120dF water. You'll be fine. I've soaked grains for 2-3 days and they worked. One time, as an experiment, I soaked grains until I saw trichoderma growing on the surface, rinsed them, drained them, and PC'ed them. No contam's occured. Rinse well, drain well, PC for 1.5hours at 15-20PSI. Should work out fine :smile:

InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Post deleted by Anno [Re: michealmyers]
    #2947982 - 07/31/04 09:40 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------
Self Healing lid tek ** Update 10.17.17 **
Mini casing pictures: Pins to harvest
Cup O' Shrooms
Magash:  I noticed my contams were in the shape of fingers :whack:
Hyphae:  Yes  "Loss of moisture from the substrate"  is not a casing trigger.  :cuckoo:

My final Grow!

Invisiblethatbig
enthusiast
Loc: washington
Re: 21 hour soak bird seed smells funny [Re: Citric]
    #2948024 - 07/31/04 10:03 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Lol now THAT was funny domey, I thought the thread would die off, I'm surprised to see it's still alive. I can report that I let them soak and I simmered them. I have tried this before with just a soak, (24 hours) hot rise and a complete draining. The grains were STILL dry.

I would shake the jar and you could hear the clanking of the hard seed against the jar. It only colonized partly.

This time after boiling, (simmering:) no hard clanking seeds. Growth seems good, so far, thanks Domey, from now on, SOAK, SIMMER, RINSE COMPLETELY, PC, thats the way to go. (oh, btw, I did drain them completely, not a drop of water came out... thanks)

OfflineJAMIEK
Re: 21 hour soak bird seed smells funny [Re: apoc]
    #3024407 - 08/19/04 04:11 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

apoc said:
well simmering gets rid of the hatched endospores does it not?

Well I assume the rinsing in the spag strainer does that!!!!
Correct anyone? :sniper:

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 21 hour soak bird seed smells funny [Re: JAMIEK]
    #3024579 - 08/19/04 05:05 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Ive never had any problems with contams with all the meathods of preping grains. Even load and PC with no rinsing.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck