Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | | Last >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Re: Making Liquid Culture [Re: Mr. Alien]
    #26386988 -

Mr. Alien said:
Quirkmeister92 said:
Why filter it? Myc like the particles plenty well enough.



Yes, but i don't like it and the myc is not the boss will grow regardless :hahyeahwoo: :grin:



I filter my LME for agar and my mycelium loves that shit...

I dont want a bunch of shit floating in my lc either... filtered forsure!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Making Liquid Culture [Re: SpunkyMonkey88] * 1
    #26387111 -

From this

To this in 8 days was impressive


and im going to expand to 3 quarts for a couple of shoeboxes.

Im not really sure of any other method to test it really.

How long can i keep the culture before putting it in the fridge?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Making Liquid Culture [Re: Edmunter]
    #26403091 -

Too bad I found this thread after I made my first LME LC last night.
I used to make Karo LC's years ago, but I've been out of the game for a few years and I decided to start up again with LME. So I ordered up a bunch of LME and a mag stirrer, tried to read as much as possible about the intricacies, but somehow I didn't figure out that I was supposed to boil and filter it before PC'ing. I should  have known from my beer brewing experience that malt has proteins and other shit that coagulates after boiling and so it needs to be filtered afterwards. So anyway, I made up 4 jars with 200ml each of 2% LME and PC'd them for 20 min. After I took them out there was a ton of sediment. So I looked around here on the forums about sediment, and I read somewhere about filtering and re-PC'ing for another 15 min. it to get it to clear. So that's what I did. Now I'm wondering if I fucked up and overcooked it. I looked up the caramelization temps of various sugars, LME is mostly maltose, which caramelizes at 320F. The only sugar that caramelizes at less than 250F (boiling temp at 15psi) is fructose, which is less than 2% of the sugar content of LME. I'm hoping it will be ok, but if not it's no big deal, I can always make more. I have a bunch of petris full of my resurrected isolates I took from the fridge and they're kicking ass on agar so they should make a decent LC.
I'm still trying to figure out what is the latest consensus on a good protocol for LC's.
What I'm getting from this thread is:
  1-2% LME, boiled for a few min and filtered, then PC'd for 15-20min.
  Am I getting that right?
  Thanks
  Best wishes


--------------------
Question everything.
Believe nothing.
Think for yours3lf.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Making Liquid Culture [Re: Digit]
    #26403093 -

Nothing in the guide says filtered.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Making Liquid Culture [Re: mushboy]
    #26403105 -

When you dont shake for a week and you have growth on top of the liquid does that usually mean its toast?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Making Liquid Culture [Re: Edmunter]
    #26403112 -

Edmunter said:
When you dont shake for a week and you have growth on top of the liquid does that usually mean its toast?



Just buy a magnetic stirrer :smirk:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Making Liquid Culture [Re: mushboy]
    #26403115 -

Thanks MB, I see that now but there is a lot of conflicting info about LC's from others on the forum here and it's been a little confusing for me.
Some ppl say to boil and filter it, others don't.
Percentages of LME vary from .4% to 4%, a factor of ten.
Is there any consensus as to which recipe and PC'ing protocol is best, or is it all just personal preference?
Thanks for all your help and info.

Happy Holidays


--------------------
Question everything.
Believe nothing.
Think for yours3lf.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Making Liquid Culture [Re: Digit]
    #26403137 -

Most of it is preference. Cloudy or darker lcs still work fine(if clean!) and will grow you tons of shrooms.

But! If a clear lc is your goal??

1g lme per 500ml water. Use cold water, no pre boil. No filtering. Just pour in cold water, add lme, shake it up, PC 15min:snoopyes:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Making Liquid Culture [Re: Digit]
    #26403139 -

just put a pinch of lme and pc for 15 minutes

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Making Liquid Culture [Re: Mr. Alien]
    #26403164 -

I might do but is it toast or just a thing?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Making Liquid Culture [Re: Edmunter]
    #26403178 -

i have just prepared an LC with 0.2% malt and came out really clear with no sediments.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Making Liquid Culture [Re: Edmunter]
    #26403244 -

Edmunter said:
I might do but is it toast or just a thing?



I'm a LC noob, i just recently started with LC so i can't say. My guess is probably a toast but don't take my word for it.

I bought this stirrer and it comes with a magnetic bar. It works really well, it's been working for 2 weeks non-stop on low speed.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Making Liquid Culture [Re: eLeSDenes]
    #26403252 -

Wow 0.2% is the lowest I've heard of yet.

I'm curious to hear how that works out for you.

Has anyone been able to objectively quantify the differences in growth rate and healthiness of the cultures between lower sugar content broths and higher sugar ones?

I might try making another broth at 0.4% per mushboy's recipe and see if it grows out any different than the 2% one I made last night.


--------------------
Question everything.
Believe nothing.
Think for yours3lf.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Making Liquid Culture [Re: Digit]
    #26403458 -

It's not my receipe it's just a recipe

They will probably grow about the same.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Making Liquid Culture [Re: mushboy]
    #26403582 -

does drinking shroom lc make you trip? psychedelic kombucha?
ew, just gagged a little.


--------------------
 
the j stands for jesus.
2020 new years grow along

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Making Liquid Culture [Re: J. Jack Flash]
    #26403594 -

I'd rather grow the damn frootz:oldman:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Making Liquid Culture [Re: mushboy]
    #26403656 -

why? just making tea anyway, amiright? this'll skip the whole middlething about marveling at the beauty of nature and whatnot.
:philososloth:


--------------------
 
the j stands for jesus.
2020 new years grow along

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Making Liquid Culture [Re: J. Jack Flash]
    #26405065 -

There's very little actives in mycelium compared to fruits. That's why we grow the fruits. It's where the magic is.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Making Liquid Culture [Re: vikingsc]
    #26406068 -

sorry, i was kidding. or trolling as the kids say these days. but i don't think that's true about actives in mycelium vs fruit. i recall reading an article about researchers producing actives didn't bother fruiting because they got more actives per unit time just extracting from mycelium. ... looking for the article.

well first i found this: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/26303098/fpart/1/vc/1
Quote:
This will probably get absorbed into mushboy's (glorious) tea thread at some point
anyway. It's inevitable.


turns out to be pretty provocative.

anyway, sorry for the tangent mushboy.


--------------------
 
the j stands for jesus.
2020 new years grow along

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Making Liquid Culture [Re: J. Jack Flash]
    #26406093 -

J. Jack Flash said:
sorry, i was kidding. or trolling as the kids say these days. but i don't think that's true about actives in mycelium vs fruit. i recall reading an article about researchers producing actives didn't bother fruiting because they got more actives per unit time just extracting from mycelium. ... looking for the article.

well first i found this: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/26303098/fpart/1/vc/1
Quote:
This will probably get absorbed into mushboy's (glorious) tea thread at some point
anyway. It's inevitable.


turns out to be pretty provocative.

anyway, sorry for the tangent mushboy.



I've seen certain cultures bruise pretty dark blue when making transfers both with agar and grain. Most don't. Definately something I'll be paying closer attention to in the future. Specifically one ovoid culture that bruises dark every time you bump it.

Colonized rye tea...


--------------------
Question everything, it's very responsive.

culture storage

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | | Last >

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Injection Grain Bag


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* 1st Liquid Culture, arrrgh! Seril 15,609 10 02/28/06 08:35 PM
by Limelight_Liver
* Starting a simple liquid culture method Garret_Hill 10,003 3 03/11/02 09:49 AM
by YourHighness
* Easy Liquid Culture Container Tek SixTango 21,799 7 01/17/12 04:59 PM
by dubyastep
* Liquid Cultures to Bulk Substrate Prodijal_Son 19,226 7 05/05/20 03:40 AM
by poisoned
* liquid culture failure gray1 6,497 3 07/19/01 09:37 PM
by Azure
* liquid culture using h2o2 baja 10,005 14 03/09/17 10:00 PM
by 3B3B4E
* Liquid culture inoculation of straw... possible? The FUnGal FiEnD 7,997 9 05/26/13 04:57 PM
by cronicr
* Liquid culture for alkaloids?? Dr. Slavic 977 3 01/26/03 06:29 PM
by Anonymous

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
96,322 topic views. 25 members, 103 guests and 230 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.