Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleHelp on the Way
Slipknot420

Loc: Another World
The brain and music?
    #2339779 - 02/16/04 01:04 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Whats up Pub  :smile:

Well last year in school, I took a really interesting class on how the brain works, and i sure as hell learned a lot.  But I was thinking about it and realized that although they taught us a lot about how the brain worked with and processed visual information, they never really went into any detail about how the brain functions with sound when listening to music.

What parts of the brain are most active when listening to music?, How does the brain even process music?  Do they know? I'm sure they must have done some research on the neurological basis of music.

Does anybody have knowledge on this subject that they would like to share?  Or if you could give me some good URLs to point me towards further reading on the subject, that would also be very appreciated.

Thanks
:smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineInfrared
sleeping
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chicago, USA Flag
Re: The brain and music? [Re: Help on the Way]
    #2339806 - 02/16/04 01:12 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Temporal lobe :tongue:

--------------------
When chemistry is outlawed.. Only outlaws have chemistry:rainbowdrink:

InvisibleMeetMeInEleusis
employee,ministry oftruth

Loc: atop an isolated mountain...
Re: The brain and music? *DELETED* [Re: Help on the Way]
    #2339810 - 02/16/04 01:15 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by MeetMeInEleusis

Reason for deletion: ..

InvisibleHelp on the Way
Slipknot420

Re: The brain and music? [Re: MeetMeInEleusis]
    #2339820 - 02/16/04 01:18 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

me too man
and how music effects emotion so much

--------------------
:shocked: *Divine Moments of Truth* :shocked:

"Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns - it calls me on and on across the universe" ~ John Lennon

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right" ~The Grateful Dead

"Religionists, with their guaranteed eventual paradise, of which they know nothing, taking it all on 'faith,' can't be expected to understand or sympathize with those with a yen to storm the Gate of Heaven and see for themselves what all the praying's about!" ~Robert Hunter

InvisibleGalvie_Flu
 User Gallery

#2339848 - 02/16/04 01:28 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

f

Edited by shaos (04/09/11 08:04 PM)

Offlinetemperance
ma[ybe]gician

Loc: southern ca
Re: The brain and music? [Re: Galvie_Flu]
    #2340035 - 02/16/04 03:38 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

^That movie sounds trippy.

About a year ago, a term was brought to my attention that really intrigued me: psychoacoustics, which dictionary.com defines as "The scientific study of the perception of sound."

There are some artists that write music based on psychoacoustical studies (Tom Kenyon is one). Verrry interesting stuff, in my opinion.

--------------------
It may be best to not take anything I say too seriously because I surely don't. Anything I say may be subject to revision at any time by any person, place, thing, or catastrophic event. And please don't call me Shirley.

OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Loc: /export/home/Kremlin
    #2340143 - 02/16/04 05:21 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

good questions

I'm looking to go into grad school in Neuro, and ive pondered the same question many times.

Sound picked up in the ear travels into the temporal lobe to be processed into our consciousness. Any tingles/connections would most likely be taken care of in the associational cortex, which is parietal area. (simplified, of course)

Exact details are yet unkown to my knowledge...but im sure its something that will be looked into.

Id suggest a wary eye when looking into the subject, there is alot of crackpot science when it comes to the brain...alot of sweeping generalizations as well.

--------------------
"Human suffering has been caused because all too many of us cannot grasp that words are only tools for our use, and that the mere presence of a word in the dictionary does not mean it necessarily refers to something definitive in the real world"
--Richard Dawkins, "The Selfish Gene"

"It is the mind which creates the world about us, and even though we stand side by side in the same meadow, my eyes will never see what is beheld by yours."
-George Gissing

"Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded by bread."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky

InvisibleHelp on the Way
Slipknot420

Re: The brain and music? [Re: Kremlin]
    #2343011 - 02/16/04 07:35 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Grad school in neuro, that sounds very interesting
theres no way id ever be up for the challenge

anybody else have any info on this topic?

--------------------

"Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns - it calls me on and on across the universe" ~ John Lennon

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right" ~The Grateful Dead

"Religionists, with their guaranteed eventual paradise, of which they know nothing, taking it all on 'faith,' can't be expected to understand or sympathize with those with a yen to storm the Gate of Heaven and see for themselves what all the praying's about!" ~Robert Hunter

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2343126 - 02/16/04 07:57 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

They were talking about this subject on SandP a short while back:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...;o=&fpart=1

Hope that helps.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineAuroricDistortions
~~~~~~~
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Polar Springs
    #2343231 - 02/16/04 08:21 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

This is actually one of the things I wanted to study. I was thinking about declaring an independent major (ie making my own major) in audio perception. I am specifically interested in the mechanisims of drugs affecting music. The idea originated one day on oxycodone listening to the Velvet Underground. I wondered why the music was so much better. The biggest question is, for what reason do humans enjoy music? I can't think of a valid reason. We hear for the same reason other higher order animals do, for survival and communication. I can't see music serving any fundamental purpose, or why it can elict any emotion in someone under certain circumstances. I haven't done much research on this subject, but I am taking some fundamental college courses in this area to get some idea of what we know so far. If I pursue this far enough, I would like to become involved with MAPS and try to get some clinical work done with psychoactive substances and music. But this is more of a far-fetched dream than an actual plan of action.

**After reading a bit of the S&P thread, Kremlin captured the essence of what I was trying to say; I'm not very good at getting my thoughts into words clearly. I also tend to ramble and have a very short attention span when writing.

--------------------

Offlinetemperance
ma[ybe]gician

Loc: southern ca
    #2343363 - 02/16/04 08:51 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
It may be best to not take anything I say too seriously because I surely don't. Anything I say may be subject to revision at any time by any person, place, thing, or catastrophic event. And please don't call me Shirley.

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
Re: The brain and music? [Re: AuroricDistortions]
    #2343403 - 02/16/04 09:01 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

That's true- we don't have to enjoy music to survive as a species.

Interesting.

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

InvisibleHelp on the Way
Slipknot420

Re: The brain and music? [Re: Murex]
    #2343425 - 02/16/04 09:06 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

i wonder why watching a movie that just has a pattern of colors doesnt have quite the same impact (haha unless your tripping) as listening to a song which is just a pattern of sounds.

--------------------

Offlinejustsmurfy
little bluetwerp

Re: The brain and music? [Re: AuroricDistortions]
    #2353488 - 02/19/04 02:22 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

If oxycodone is what I think it is, maybe it's easier to interpert music made by junkies while on an opiate?

-JustSmurfy

--------------------
Unsuitable for Human Consumption

InvisibleHelp on the Way
Slipknot420

Re: The brain and music? [Re: justsmurfy]
    #2358157 - 02/20/04 05:31 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

music seems to have a lot to do with emotions and moods (why??? how???).

When your on opiates, your in the same mood listening to the music as the junkies were when they made it, so it just clicks

thats my theory

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder