Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleCracka_X
Spiritual Dirt Worshipper
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Swamp
Question about Left and Right view on military...
    #1978659 - 10/04/03 11:11 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

So I was talking to this girl who's going into the marines and lord behold, HER COUSIN IS JANET RENO. So I ask, how are you a democrat and want to be in the military when they reduce funding to military? She replied, the democrats don't reduce the fund, that's the republicans. Then she gave me a "if it already works, don't fix it" motto for the dems.

I'm just curious, I could've sworn that dems are all about cutting our military? I mean, what the hell did Clinton do????? I know I'm right but I have to have someone corroborate or refute my view on this.

--------------------
The best way to live
is to be like water
For water benefits all things
and goes against none of them
It provides for all people
and even cleanses those places
a man is loath to go
In this way it is just like Tao        ~Daodejing

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTao
Village Genius

Loc: San Diego
Re: Question about Left and Right view on military... [Re: Cracka_X]
    #1978857 - 10/04/03 01:39 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

well its all relative whether republicans are raising and dems are keeping it the same or dems are cutting and republicans are keeping it level. but yeah, obviously R's spend more than D's

--------------------
Magash's Grain Tek  + Tub-in-Tub Incubator + Magash's PMP + SBP Tek + Dunking = Practically all a newbie grower needs :thumbup:

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #1979040 - 10/04/03 03:25 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Despite what you may think, Dems are, for the most part, not anti-military. They may think military spending is excessive in this country(I think it is), but they generally don't oppose military action as long as it's done multilaterally. They recognize the need for a strong military. They just don't want to go overboard with our military spending.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #1979077 - 10/04/03 03:38 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I don't know if it's excessive or not, but I do know that we squander what we do have(see "Operation Iraqi Liberation")

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: Park Avenue Playground - The Trip

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
    #1979293 - 10/04/03 05:22 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I think you've gotten yourself too wrapped up in the whole Left vs Right mentality.

I would qualify as somebody you'd call Leftist - and I served 6 years on active duty in the Marine Corps. It apparently surprises you that people from the Left actually have patriotic feelings. How could you possibly have such an idea?

Hasn't the current administration been floating ideas about cutting combat pay and reducing benefits for our active duty military? The increase in spending is for more toys. I don't consider that to be really supporting our military.

Our military is the people who are serving in it, not the trucks they drive. From my view, they haven't been supporting them very well at all. I'm also not fond of the current administration's efforts to reduce benefits to those veterans who earned them (incidentally, that does not include me). I support the idea of eliminating government waste - I do not consider our current and former military personnel as part of that waste.

To judge the support our troops are receiving, I'd defer to the people currently serving.

Probably the best way to see if the people who are currently in the military feel they're being supported is to watch reenlistment rates over the next couple years. If they're high, then the troops are getting support. If everybody is getting out then you can conclude that they're not being supported.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
    #1979784 - 10/04/03 09:56 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

America's "defense" budget accounts for about 50% of the world's money spent on "defense". We have a cold war sized military,but the cold war is over. To say that our defensive budget is over inflated,is an understatement.

When's the last time you've been to NAS JAX,Cracka? They have suishi bars and shit.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

Re: Question about Left and Right view on military... [Re: monoamine]
    #1980495 - 10/05/03 03:06 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

The rest of the free world doesn't need to spend the money cause we do and we are the ones they will come to when someone is stomping on their face.

--------------------
Be all and you'll be to end all

Offlinewingnutx
Re: Question about Left and Right view on military... [Re: mntlfngrs]
    #1980501 - 10/05/03 03:08 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Pretty much.

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #1980705 - 10/05/03 05:46 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I don't understand why you think every other country is as big of a target as America is.

If you don't start shit, you won't get shit. That's true over 99% of the time. And it takes two to fight.

Peace is what we need, and peace can't be forced...Pax Americana will never exist.

--------------------
BTC - 1KqrSHZ1C3NsQP4g3PkHhppBnhdgyXr6sB

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: Question about Left and Right view on military... [Re: trendal]
    #1982428 - 10/05/03 11:14 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, I don't see battles breaking out in northern Europe very much-probably because they mind their own business,they remain neutral in conflict,and defend their borders.

America is pretty godamn hysterical for being so advanced. We don't need a bigger military,we need clusterbombs of Valium.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Loc: Around Minneapolis.
    #1982631 - 10/06/03 12:35 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

mntlfngrs said:
The rest of the free world doesn't need to spend the money cause we do and we are the ones they will come to when someone is stomping on their face.

so... perhaps we should take world opinion into account? then perhaps "they" would feel some obligation to help out?

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

Re: Question about Left and Right view on military... [Re: Malachi]
    #1991962 - 10/09/03 02:37 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, we took their opinion into account when France and Germany wanted us to bypass the UN and use NATO to attack Somalia.

And you didn't see old Russia attacking Europe either. I wonder why?

--------------------

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1991994 - 10/09/03 02:49 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I always thought if we were in a time of peace, whats the point of beefing up our military? (During the time of Clinton).

If we are being attacked by terrorists, okay, I see how we should beef it up a little. The whole thing about attacking Iraq because of the two towers is a little weird and all, being that Osama bin laden was in charge of it all but, yeah...

Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator
 Arcade Champion: Skeleton Park

#1991998 - 10/09/03 02:50 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

mntlfngrs said:

Wow, this is the biggest humanitariun effort in human history. America is Christlike.

--------------------

"Little racoons and old possums 'n' stuff all live up in here. They've got to have a little place to sit." Bob Ross.

Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

Re: Question about Left and Right view on military... [Re: sir tripsalot]
    #1992008 - 10/09/03 02:55 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

no just a bonus for them as we guarantee the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity forever.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #1992057 - 10/09/03 03:15 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

mntlfngrs said:
no just a bonus for them as we guarantee the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity forever. 

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Loc: Comfy chair in my lounger...
    #1992349 - 10/09/03 06:38 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

No, America chooses sides with who has their 'interests' (ie monetary) at heart. Or more often, start the war in the first place.

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

Re: Question about Left and Right view on military... [Re: enotake2]
    #1996007 - 10/10/03 03:46 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, France doesn't choose sides with those who best suits their monetary interests. It is not really practical in this age of technology that can cause so much damage at a single stroke, to sit back and allow a single strike to occur. Not to say that another look at policy is not in order. What monetary interest did we have in Bosnia when France and Germany asked us to bypass the UN and use NATO? It was at the request of our European "friends" that American blood was spilled in the Balkans. The German statesman Bismarck once predicted that when the Great War came to Europe, it would be because of "some damn fool thing in the Balkans." In June 1914 the Austrian archduke was assassinated in Sarajevo. I don't see a monotary intrest their for us but I certaily see that we came to the call of our friends.

--------------------

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

#1996449 - 10/10/03 10:37 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

i think that the left/right views of the military were develored during the post-carter era in histiry. reagan came into office at the height of the cold war, after carter decreased the size of the military to 40% of its former size. the country was also in a major recession and the middle east was in turmoil (lybia, lebennon, etc.)

after carter (left) had decimated the armed forces, reagan (right) came in and increased spending dramatically. 1 reason he did this was to consolidate americas power. another reason was to give a portion of the country's massive unemployed a job. after a time of uncertainty towards america and her workmanship and pride, reagan instilled in people a sense of pride and love for america.

if anyone here was old enough to remember that time, they could tell yuou the massive difference between 1978 and 1986.

i am not a republican. i am not a democrat. i am a libertarian. i am actually in favor of what carter was trying to do: create an armed force that is set up for defense, but carter picked the wrong time and wrong way to go about it.

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion