Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
College
    #1925309 - 09/17/03 03:53 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

It shouldn't be this way. Truly sad.

The Fight for a College Education
Gary Aldrich and Christi Daisey
Thursday, Sept. 18, 2003

Going off to college is one of the most exciting times in the lives of both the new students and the proud parents.

As a parent, you have done your best to instill in your children the values and morals required to live a good and decent life. You have taught them to appreciate education, to treasure learning and to treat everyone equally.

As a new college student, you look forward to new experiences, the freedom to say and think whatever you want, be accepted as an equal by your peers, and be treated with respect and encouragement by your new school.

Fast-forward one year and recap that first year of college. If you are a liberal student, you are quite happy with the educational system.

You eagerly signed up for the classic liberal arts classes in literature, history and political science. Your professors proclaim that President George W. Bush is a moron, that America deserved what it got on Sept. 11 and that America is an imperialistic warmonger whose only interest in the world is getting oil so we can drive our SUVs and destroy the environment.

You are encouraged to do whatever makes you feel good because the good times of college "won't last forever." And nine times out of 10, you, the liberal student, agree with them and are free to voice that agreement without fear of academic reprisals. You are not worried about free speech because your thoughts and ideas are expressed by your professors and imposed upon all students by the university's administration.

You can join any group you want: the College Democrats, environmental groups like Earth First! and Greenpeace, or you can fight for human rights by joining Amnesty International. You attend protest marches and hear university-sponsored speakers like Cornel West, Jesse Jackson and Hillary Clinton. Life is good and you are truly having the "time of your life."

Now put yourself in the shoes of a conservative student. You arrive on campus excited to meet new people and make new friends, only to be segregated by race, as in Brown's minority orientation program. You are placed in classes like the University of Michigan's class on how to be a homosexual. You go to "history" classes that teach you that America isn't the freedom-loving country we were taught about in high school, but rather a police state where the FBI and the CIA are monitoring your every move and that freedom has a sign over it that reads "Whites Only."

You are also taught by Marxist and Communist professors tenured by your school that morality is relative and meaningless, and capitalism is the reason poor people are poor. You naively believe that freedom of speech and religion applies to you, but when you speak out in class the result is a grade markedly lower than the one you expected.

You try to join or create groups that reflect your values and beliefs, like InterVarsity Christian Fellowship, but your school, like Rutgers University, tells you that because only people believing in God and Jesus "feel" welcome, the group is not allowed. You try to form a local chapter of the Advocates for Conservative Thought, but the University of Miami decides that the College Republicans are the only conservative group that the university "needs" and refuses to sanction the group.

Meanwhile, you watch in amazement as liberal groups like the Gay and Lesbian Alliance form out of nowhere and not only receive recognition from the schools but also get funding from them as well. When you try to protest this unfair treatment, you are restricted to a limited "free speech zone" like the one at Texas Tech University. These zones are extremely small and are located in places on campus where the protest won't "disrupt" normal operations. You have to get a permit a week in advance to protest in these zones and are shocked and amazed when the local chapter of the employees union has virtually closed down the campus with their chanting and intimidation, for example what's currently going on at Yale University.

Unfortunately, the picture painted above is a sad reality for conservative students across the country, but conservatives are finally fighting back. There are now over 100,000 College Republicans in schools across the country, compared to only approximately 43,000 Young Democrats (any Democrat under the age of 36). Compare that with the national average of 10 self-professed Democrat professors to every one Republican.

John Adams said, "Children should be educated and instructed in the principles of freedom." Yet every day on college campuses across America, conservative students' rights are being trampled. Freedom of thought and expression is reserved for those who are willing to toe the line of the university's administration. Everyone else is forced to bury their heads and hide their values and principles in order to be "tolerant" of others' beliefs.

Colleges and universities in America are engaged in a practice that is systematically depriving students of their fundamental rights of freedom of thought and expression. Those freedoms are at the absolute center of a balanced education.

College administrators are continually mouthing support for diversity in our American educational system. What they really mean is that only those who believe as they do may apply.

Link

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: College [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1925354 - 09/17/03 04:06 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Yep, it is sad, and quite true as well.

Offlinedomite
Puppet
Male User Gallery
Loc: Who's askin'?
Re: College [Re: shakta]
    #1925374 - 09/17/03 04:10 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Arent there largley consrevitive campuses as well?

not to disagree, becuase I dont know, but I thought that that was the case...

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: College [Re: domite]
    #1925391 - 09/17/03 04:15 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I'm sure there probably are a few. If you can find claims that the same type of discrimination happens on those campuses, I'd love to see it.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Frogger

Loc: space
Re: College [Re: domite]
    #1925417 - 09/17/03 04:23 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

yes there are largely conservative campuses... I go to one.

Any decent professor worth his salt, democrat or republican, will respect all viewpoints as long as they can be backed up. I once wrote a paper that was basically a 10 page rant about how much one of my instructor's favorite books sucked... He still gave me an A.

anyway... do all you conservatives out there hear what I'm doing right now? I'm playing the world's smallest violin for you...

as for lack of Republican professors... Well, any qualified Republican who is interested in working for a teacher's salary can apply...

(sound of tumbleweeds rolling by...)

--------------------
peace, pot, and microdot!

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: College [Re: DoctorJ]
    #1925429 - 09/17/03 04:26 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

That was no tumbleweed, that was a rejection letter for a conservative being crumpled and tossed.

--------------------

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1925434 - 09/17/03 04:28 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Since when do college professors not make a lot of money?

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#1925446 - 09/17/03 04:30 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

shakta said:

I'm sure some do and some don't. Depends on the college.

--------------------

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1925451 - 09/17/03 04:31 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

What conservative school do you go to?

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger

#1925459 - 09/17/03 04:33 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

seriously, does it occur to anyone that Republicans, because of their values, are less likely to apply for a low-pay, high-qualification job like college professor?

I mean the very idea of working for the government and giving back to the community and the youth seems contrary to mainstream republican values.

besides, everyone knows that academics is where PhD's that cant make it in the private sector go.  Doesnt surprise me that the vast majority of those people are liberal.

Of course, the private job market has no conservative bias whatsoever....  :rolleyes:

--------------------

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #1925460 - 09/17/03 04:34 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

what?

am I to pity the poor, oppressed, conservative college student?

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: College [Re: afoaf]
    #1925466 - 09/17/03 04:35 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

That depends. Do you feel pity for those who are treated differently than others? For any reason?

--------------------

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1925472 - 09/17/03 04:37 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Working for the government for a low salary? Professors at private universities, make loads of money, and once they are tenured they don't have to do shit. This really is not the point anyway.

The point is how they are for diversity as long as the diverse people's opinions agree with theirs. You are basically saying this is acceptable.

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger

#1925477 - 09/17/03 04:38 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Well, I guess it really depends on whether or not you have tenure, not to mention how many textbooks you've written and forced your students to buy as a requirement for the class...

But according to people I've talked to, the vast majority of profs make less than $100,000 a year... which isnt much considering the 8 years of school and huge debts it took them to get there.

Quote:

What conservative school do you go to?

University of Texas at Dallas and Southern Methodist University. Doesnt get any more conservative than those two. cept maybe Baylor.

--------------------

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger

#1925497 - 09/17/03 04:43 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

The point is how they are for diversity as long as the diverse people's opinions agree with theirs. You are basically saying this is acceptable.

I said no such thing. I said that teachers respect views as long as they are presented along with a good arguement, and not just dogmatic regurgitations. In terms of grades, I have noticed very strict impartiality. In terms of student life and programs, I have noticed a conservative bias, at least in my school. But I dont participate in extracurricular programs anyways, con or lib. I have better things to do with my time.

--------------------

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1925520 - 09/17/03 04:48 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

That is not true in many cases though. They don't respect the opposite opinion as the article points out. I would like to think this is the exception to the norm, but I don't know if that is true or not.

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger

#1925538 - 09/17/03 04:55 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

well, whatever. I'm pretty used to being graded down for my off-kilter views, as it happened all throughout high school. Anothr thing that happened to me a lot in high school was that teachers would grade me harder than everyoine else because they knew I was capable of more. Apprently "objective standards" had no meaning to them. So some jock would get a good grade for doing "the best he could do" and I would get a bad grade for "slacking off" even though anyone would say I wrote a better paper than the jock.

thankfully, this kind of crap doesnt happen to me at college. Seriously, compared to highschool, college is impartial as hell.

the one example of conservative persecution I can think of is my social psych class a year ago. I shouted down some poor military brat who was trying to justify the war and couldn't do it. She got so upset she left class and never came back but in that case it was me, not the instructor, who was persecuting a conservative... If you can call asking for logical justification of an opinion "persecution"...

--------------------

InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
    #1925641 - 09/17/03 05:29 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

If you're female and attractive, there's a whole other way to get through college. :smile: 

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

OfflineBhairabas
Stranger

Loc: Toronto Canada
Re: College [Re: Edame]
    #1925744 - 09/17/03 05:48 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Wow thats alot of loosely based generalizations.. Maybe the problem isn't with the liberal students having the time of their lives.. Maybe it's conservative students who excomunicate themselves because there belief systems hold them back from meeting new kinds of people and excepting them.. If you can't have a good time in college then maybe you lack social skills.. There's lots of democrats who are complaining about the same thing.. Sounds like a bunch of whiney bullshit to me..

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #1925813 - 09/17/03 06:06 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

About 90% of this article is utter crap.

Quote:

You eagerly signed up for the classic liberal arts classes in literature, history and political science. Your professors proclaim that President George W. Bush is a moron, that America deserved what it got on Sept. 11 and that America is an imperialistic warmonger whose only interest in the world is getting oil so we can drive our SUVs and destroy the environment.

So professors shouldn't be allowed to express their opinions?

Quote:

Now put yourself in the shoes of a conservative student. You arrive on campus excited to meet new people and make new friends, only to be segregated by race, as in Brown's minority orientation program. You are placed in classes like the University of Michigan's class on how to be a homosexual. You go to "history" classes that teach you that America isn't the freedom-loving country we were taught about in high school, but rather a police state where the FBI and the CIA are monitoring your every move and that freedom has a sign over it that reads "Whites Only."

What percentage of schools follow the model of Brown's minority orientation program? Certainly not the one I go to. Also, I doubt anyone is "placed" in the class on how to be homosexual without DELIBERATELY ADDING THE CLASS! And why should history teachers not teach something just because it offends you? Haven't you been outspoken against "political correctness"?

Quote:

You are also taught by Marxist and Communist professors tenured by your school that morality is relative and meaningless, and capitalism is the reason poor people are poor. You naively believe that freedom of speech and religion applies to you, but when you speak out in class the result is a grade markedly lower than the one you expected.

I don't know of any professors here who would consider themselves "Marxist," thought there very well might be, and that's ok. As far as getting low grades for speaking your mind, how often do you really think that happens?

Quote:

You try to join or create groups that reflect your values and beliefs, like InterVarsity Christian Fellowship, but your school, like Rutgers University, tells you that because only people believing in God and Jesus "feel" welcome, the group is not allowed. You try to form a local chapter of the Advocates for Conservative Thought, but the University of Miami decides that the College Republicans are the only conservative group that the university "needs" and refuses to sanction the group.

InterVarsity Christian Fellowship and Campus Crusade for Christ are alive and well on this campus, as they are on most campuses across the nation. This article is nitpicking at a few exceptions.

Quote:

Meanwhile, you watch in amazement as liberal groups like the Gay and Lesbian Alliance form out of nowhere and not only receive recognition from the schools but also get funding from them as well. When you try to protest this unfair treatment, you are restricted to a limited "free speech zone" like the one at Texas Tech University. These zones are extremely small and are located in places on campus where the protest won't "disrupt" normal operations. You have to get a permit a week in advance to protest in these zones and are shocked and amazed when the local chapter of the employees union has virtually closed down the campus with their chanting and intimidation, for example what's currently going on at Yale University.

Again, nitpicking.

Next!

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion