Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMuecci
Muecci
Sub Pans and One Other.. Please Confirm (Black/Purple Print)
    #1797372 - 08/10/03 03:22 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Hey All,

Thanks for the great site with all the helpfull information. I have been reading this site for over a month and done alot of research as far as hunting for actives. Tonight was my 7th time hunting and I think I have finally found what I have been searching for. Please see the below info for both types I encountered tonight.

Here is a pic of the Spore Prints. This is actually just two different genus. I have three of the same type which I believe is Pan Sub then another that is a black print that I can't identify. Note that both prints are jet black with a slight tinge of purple.

Here is a pic of the total collection of Pan Subs??? (Please confirm) All species were taken from Horse Dung but it wasn't fresh dung. It was clear by looking at the substrate that it had been there a while b/c dry grass was very visible. Also the dung was not aroung wet tall grass. It was under big oak trees so the dung hasn't been washed away by the rain for a couple weeks. Also, I have been to many pastures and virgin forests in the lowlands of NC and this is the first place I have seen these species.

Here is the second black print species I am not too sure about. The pic is kinda bright but there is a conistant blue tinge to all of these types. They were found in the exact same environment as the (hopefully) pan subs. These shrooms are twice the height (4"-6") but are more conicle.

Finally, I pulled whole collections of the (hopefully) pan subs from the dung and put them in a humid environment. Here is a pic of how I found the collections in a tupaware (spelling) canister. Again these are all the same type as the pic with a bunch of shrooms.

As for these pics I have two concerns. The primary collection (which I hope is Pan Subs) has not bruised blue. The spore print is very black with a bit of purple but no blueing. Secondly, the size of the collection is quite small. As you can see from my feet they are smaller than some pics I have seen here and at other sites. This may be because they are still young, but the weather has been as follows:
Heavy Rain 3-5 times a week.
Average daily temp: 85
Average nightly temp: 71

I think I have covered most the facts... oh yea the gills are very umbrella like. The attach directly to the stipe and do not curve or receed at all.

Thanks again for the great site and information, I have had alot of fun out in the woods and pastures trying to identify different genus.

Muecci  :cool:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinewhole9
LOVE ME BITCH

Re: Sub Pans and One Other.. Please Confirm (Black/Purple Print) [Re: Muecci]
    #1797448 - 08/10/03 04:52 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

You check that lot over carefully... They dont all look the same too me. Just be careful. The seconds ones are definatly not active... I would NOT eat any of those before you get some pics of the spore prints, and seperate out that huge lot you have there becuase I sware I see some different types mixed in..

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Sub Pans and One Other.. Please Confirm (Black/Purple Print) [Re: whole9]
    #1797526 - 08/10/03 06:36 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

those in the first collection do appear to be Pan. Subbalteatus; though i must insist that you not eat any untill we can confirm and i get the agreement of someone else in the Hunting FAQ's list of capable identifiers.

if the spore prints came out black and the substrate is correct then i would venture to say you have probably found your target species; however, you said the spore print is "black with a bit of purple" wich dose not fit. the print for subbs should be jet black not purple at all. i hope you will elaborate on this in your response.

the second colection is probably Pan. antarillum[sp?], a non-active Panaeolous species common in manure and in pastures.

as whole9 stated in his post, due to your piled collection it is imperitave that you go through and make sure that every specimen matches, without exeption, a description of this species.

in the future, please refrain from piling your collections in this fashion as it could lead to an oversite if a specimen of another species made it's way into your collection.

as for the lack of bluing:
bluing is not often conspicious in this species, and often not present at all a majority of specimens from collection to collection.

[edit: BTW, those fruiting from the manure in the tupperware dealie-jig do not look like Pan. subbalteatusm and that method of cultivation is not likely to succeed in any event.]

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Edited by concretefeet (08/10/03 06:41 AM)

OfflineMuecci
Muecci
Re: Sub Pans and One Other.. Please Confirm (Black/Purple Print) [Re: canid]
    #1797785 - 08/10/03 10:01 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the reply Concrete, its guys like you that keep noobies like me excited about this field.

The spore prints became much darker overnight and are definitely jet black. Here is a better picture of the spore prints. Also, the cap in the top left is what you said looks like Pan. antarillum, it also has a black print but I won't eat those.

Here is a closer look at the habitat and what the shrooms looked like when I picked them. My intention was not to try and further there growth but I thought it would be good to have for ID. If you look close you can see that they are dropping spores in there. Are the spores part of the hallucingen and are they ok to eat when not fully dried?

Again, thanks a ton for the help and advice!

Muecci

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Sub Pans and One Other.. Please Confirm (Black/Purple Print) [Re: Muecci]
    #1798549 - 08/10/03 03:19 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

The mushrooms in the first picture look like Pan subbs.

The mushrooms that are groing from the dung are undoubtably Psilocybe coprophilia, an inactive psilocybe. They'll have a purple brown print if you print them.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract