Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
problem grafting loph pup to pereskiopsis
    #16196528 -

A few days ago I attempted my first grafts,  a small l. williamsii pup and an l. williamsi areole onto pereskiopsis.  everything was sterile and cuts were straight.  after grafting I put them in a clip seal bag and misted the inside of the bag.  both grafts look like they took, but I wiggled the pup and it came off.  only the edges of the pup had stuck and both cut surfaces had shrunk inwards and were dry as they were not contacting. when placing the pup onto the stock I made sire I pressed it down well and that it was contacting all over.  Is there any way I can avoid this problem in the future? The areole I grafted looks like it is stuck really well, just waiting to see if it starts to swell as I am not 100% sure it was lined up properly.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: problem grafting loph pup to pereskiopsis [Re: russokeefe]
    #16196579 -

russokeefe said:
A few days ago I attempted my first grafts,  a small l. williamsii pup and an l. williamsi areole onto pereskiopsis.  everything was sterile and cuts were straight.  after grafting I put them in a clip seal bag and misted the inside of the bag.  both grafts look like they took, but I wiggled the pup and it came off.  only the edges of the pup had stuck and both cut surfaces had shrunk inwards and were dry as they were not contacting. when placing the pup onto the stock I made sire I pressed it down well and that it was contacting all over.  Is there any way I can avoid this problem in the future? 



dont wiggle it off in the future. they either take or they dont.

grafting to pereskiopsis is all new to me so i can only offer advice on what i have done.

the ones i have done tend to shrivel if they have not taken. and i have only done seedlings, so anything older, i dont mess with.

other than that resist the urge to move anything. that's how i did away with countless astrophytum caput-medusae seedlings.

other than that, :goodluck:


--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: problem grafting loph pup to pereskiopsis [Re: ferrel_human]
    #16196598 -

I have some seeds coming in the mail. should be here in a day or two. They are L. Williamsii v. texana.  cant wait to germinate them and try seedling grafts.  In the meantime I am trying to get some practice with what I already have here.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: problem grafting loph pup to pereskiopsis [Re: russokeefe]
    #16196618 -

From my experience, I have never found anything that will guarantee success. It's just the way the cookie crumbles.
When I was doing it a lot I got really good at it. Nearly every one took, but some random ones just arbitrarily decided not to take. It's frustrating. Just chalk it up to the game.

Also, you just started. It took me a while to get the humidity correct. What gave me the greatest success rate was starting at 100% humidity, and step  it down to where it wanted. Forget what that was, and it probably depended on where I was living anyway.

Another thing. How much pereskiopsis are you taking off? Get as close to the tip as you can. It helps out.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: problem grafting loph pup to pereskiopsis [Re: Big L]
    #16196649 -

I was taking off about an inch or so as the plant was too narrow towards the top.  I hate failing at something but I just remind myself that every failed attempt is a step closer to a successful one and that I couldnt expect my first attempts to succeed

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: problem grafting loph pup to pereskiopsis [Re: russokeefe]
    #16196904 -

Post some pics if you can

I haven't tried to graft pups onto pere. I have seen it done but I would think it would be harder to aline vascular rings as the pup would have to hang over the edge of the pere. The other problem that you will run in to is as the pere dries out it sinks in the middle and the sides pop the scion of.
As ferral said don't wiggle or even touch a graft for at least a couple of weeks as they can take some time before they are attached properly.
I have seen people say not to water the pere's before grafting but I have found the opposite if they are not healthy and growing they can be to dry. The biggest lot of failures that I have had were a number of grafts that I did and when I cut the pere's they were quite dry and even using the juice from some leaves I had an high failure rate

Cheers
Got


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: problem grafting loph pup to pereskiopsis [Re: GoOnThen]
    #16196948 -

Will take some pics when time allows.  the pups are so small that they dont overhang the edges although the edge of the pup is close to the edge of the pereskiopsis.  I just tried another pup and another areole.  I am out of pups and need to wait for more peres to root now
  I have exhausted all my spares.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* New Loph Graft! And Question :D Olgualion 2,274 8 06/25/04 09:10 PM
by felixhigh
* Cacti Grafting
( 1 2 3 4 all )
EvilGir 16,394 60 09/27/03 02:05 PM
by Openminded
* Rooting peyote pups??? chaosgenerator 1,739 2 01/21/04 12:47 PM
by felixhigh
* Peyote grafted on Pereskiopsis update.
( 1 2 3 all )
Una 21,864 50 05/13/05 06:57 PM
by Fluxburn
* Amazing growth of Tr. pachanoi grafted on Pereskiopsis
( 1 2 3 all )
Una 15,809 41 03/26/08 12:55 PM
by Zinglons Acolyte
* The Amazing Inverse Exploding Cristate Peyote Graft ?
( 1 2 all )
Jackal 7,256 26 12/23/04 07:54 PM
by HarveyWalbanger
* Cactus seedling grafting...here's how to do it Una 15,090 8 03/24/04 01:28 PM
by Aneglakya
* Grafting tips? Legoulash 1,845 13 07/27/04 01:05 PM
by kadakuda

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: karode13, Mostly_Harmless, A.k.a
1,063 topic views. 0 members, 8 guests and 16 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.023 seconds spending 0.004 seconds on 14 queries.