Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon San Pedro

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleOlgualion
Shaman-In-Training
 User Gallery

Loc: Currently Earth...
New Loph Graft! And Question :D
    #2812506 - 06/21/04 12:51 AM (13 years, 8 days ago)

Here is a brand new graft.  Strangest thing.  Something seemed to overcome me with this sudden urge to graft my single peyote button.  Up until last week single (i actually found 5 old seeds last week and one has sprouted so far.  I am so happy!!)

This urge overwhelmed me and drove me to get the supplies and just do it.  No second thoughts or anything.  Strangest thing.  Anyhow, Here she is.  The scion (is that the right word?) and the base are almost exactly the same size too! :smile:  My previous attempts all failed, but I feel good about this one!

Here is a pic of the donor.

Do you think this is big enough to sprout a pup?  If not, what will happen if I graft it upside down, root up to another pedro (or wont the tissue bind that way?)

--------------------
Study the past...
See the future...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblePsilostylin
Captain Save Em'
Loc: New Orleans!
Re: New Loph Graft! And Question :D [Re: Olgualion]
    #2813705 - 06/21/04 12:59 PM (13 years, 7 days ago)

that's awesome man. it looks pretty good. how long did it take you to grow that button out to that size? i'm hope this time is succesful for you.

Offlinenolly
Stranger
Re: New Loph Graft! And Question :D [Re: Psilostylin]
    #2814387 - 06/21/04 04:36 PM (13 years, 7 days ago)

i can't tell from your picture if the cut base of your lophophora has any areoles. . . if it does, you can certainly graft it upside down, it will produce new pups from any intact areoles.

good luck!

(oops! supposed to be a reply to original poster, sorry :-D)

Offlinefelixhigh
KIA
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
    #2814388 - 06/21/04 04:36 PM (13 years, 7 days ago)

nice job man! just keep the blades sharp and sterile, the cuts straight and the air bubbles off...
about pupping, your loph is very likely to pup (specially if it's williamsii of the caespitosae type), this summer you might be seing your lophs pup...
on roots upside down, i've had already seen pictures of it working out fine but i have tried a few times and never got it right. and i did use all the care i could.
you can try and if it doesn't works out (watch closely) you just abort/degraft it and plant the roots (just don't let it rot).
nice trichs btw!

FH

InvisibleOlgualion
Shaman-In-Training
 User Gallery

Re: New Loph Graft! And Question :D [Re: felixhigh]
    #2815609 - 06/22/04 12:28 AM (13 years, 7 days ago)

Thanks guys, I am really hoping this time.

I wish I could say how old he is.  I had some very close yearlings perish about 1 year ago, and thought they were all gone.  Then last winter, I came across this guy in this pot in a cold window at the old house all by himself.  He was very small and barely clinging to life.  He was nursed back to life, and has been enjoying a 400 mh for the past few months! :smile:  If I had to guess, I'd say 1.5 to 2 years from the seed.

The graft seems to be touching flush, the exposed pedro tissue is beginning to callus over, and, to me, it looks good.  But I am a bit uneasy now though, because one small portion of the loph is hanging exposed, over the pedro base.

Am I doomed, because of the exposed loph tissue??

Everything was very clean, and the blade was very sharp.  The pedro tip was sliced, the blade cleaned, the loph sliced, and kept on top of the blade, and slid off of the blade pushing the pedro tip off of its cut.  There was a decent amount of sap?.  I wanted to hold it in place with a small rubberband, but found it sliding around a bit more than I'd have liked (is the sliding necessarily a bad thing?).  I got the rubberband in place, and put a small plastic baggie over top held with a rubberband to the pedro down below.

Anything you see wrong?  Anything I should keep an eye out for?  Should I water the pedro now?  Should I not?

Thanks so much for reading and helping, and the support! :smile:  My gut still tells me that everything is fine, but it's been known to be wrong... 

II'm also going to go do some searches, and see if I can find some answers myself.

thanks

--------------------
Study the past...
See the future...

OfflineOpenminded
Dicotyledon

Loc: England.
    #2816996 - 06/22/04 01:58 PM (13 years, 6 days ago)

I've had scions hang over the stock a little, and were OK. The stock normally pokes out from under the scion all around, so why shouldn't the scion stick out a little from the stock? If it's clean it should just callous over and be fine...

Good luck! :laugh:

InvisibleOlgualion
Shaman-In-Training
 User Gallery

Re: New Loph Graft! And Question :D [Re: Openminded]
    #2819255 - 06/23/04 12:23 AM (13 years, 6 days ago)

Thanks man. :smile:

I did a lot of reading, and mind refreshment last night.  I am very happy with the graft.  I swear, it looks like it grew some today!  I took the plastic bag off to look at it, and he looks wonderful! :laugh:

I do have one more question that wasn't answered by my searches.  I would love to use the loph's root/stump that remains.  The originally flat cut has become concave.  Is this from loss of water?  Should I be worried about it withering away, or what?  It does seem to me to be too small to survive, but I'm very new to this.

Should I dig it out of the soil to see what I'm working with?  Please help, or give me the truth, if it is sure death.

--------------------
Study the past...
See the future...

InvisibleOlgualion
Shaman-In-Training
 User Gallery

#2829012 - 06/25/04 10:05 PM (13 years, 3 days ago)

The graft is great, and I decided what the hell, and tried the root.

You see the other San Pedro pup coming behind the one the loph is grafted onto?  Well, now ith has the roots of the grafted peyote grafted to it! :laugh: :laugh:

So the whole plant is above ground, the head, and the roots, right next to eachother.  This is sooo cool!  I hope this one works! :laugh:

--------------------
Study the past...
See the future...

Offlinefelixhigh
KIA
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
    #2829121 - 06/25/04 11:10 PM (13 years, 3 days ago)

good luck! keep us updated!

FH

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon San Pedro

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden