Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinencj
stoner
 User Gallery

should i use psychedelics?
    #1605486 - 06/03/03 04:26 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

i'm 16 years old and i'm interested in using psychedelics in the near future. i've read alot from this site and from erowid, so i know what i am getting myself into so don't worry about that. what i'm worried about is my father's past signs of schizophrenia.

about a year ago, my father moved out of my house due to problems with my mom and he just lost it. he started getting really weird and said he would hear voices. he eventually went to a doctor and he was told of having early symptons of schizophrenia and was given some pills and is now fine. i'm not sure if he still takes them, but i don't think he does. he does drink quite a bit so that might have had something to do with it.

i'm pretty stable in my life. i get good grades, got a job, a car, and have smoked alot of pot for a while. i've never heard any voices or had any mental problems at all. i'm worried because i heard that schizophrenia is hereditary and that if i start using psychedelics, such as shrooms, that a spark might be triggered and i might end up a schizo myself.

--------------------
The Mars Volta is the shit.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineA0999
Disco ish
 User Gallery

Loc: TEXUS
Re: should i use psychedelics? [Re: ncj]
    #1605491 - 06/03/03 04:27 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

no, turn back now!

--------------------
Not necessarily stoned, but beautiful

Offlinerohitabong
shroomtastic
Loc: DC
Re: should i use psychedelics? [Re: A0999]
    #1605515 - 06/03/03 04:41 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

most of the time, signs of schizophrenia emerge in the early 20s, so no matter what you do you have a genetic tendency to get the disease, although for a son-father relationship that chance is about 20%

i caution you the same as all other people with schizo running in the family....DO NOT USE PSYCHADELICS unless you are truly ready to deal with one of the worst mental diseases...shrooming can't make a normal man schizophrenic, but it can bring it out in those that have a genetic predisposition for schizo (ie close relatives have it)

shrooms are great, but not if it could cost your quality of life in the future, be careful man

--------------------
In the Time of Chimpanzees I was a Monkey.

OfflineDailyPot
Trip'n Time

Loc: Florida
Re: should i use psychedelics? [Re: rohitabong]
    #1605757 - 06/03/03 05:49 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Umm, this is kinda tricky grounds. The officially safe answer would be no, play it safe and take no chances but I dont think thats what you wanna heard or probably what you'll end up listening to so here is my advise if you will absolutely do. Start with a low dose and slowly over a period of time work yourself up, if you feel any mental unstability during or after the trip, besides normal tripping and after effects, just dont use again, either way with a low dose you should be fine...this is only if you will do it, again to be as safe as you possibly can dont do it.

How old was your dad when this happened? If he lost it after the break up and he was pretty old and no one lese has mental problems in your family I would guess that its a 'normal' stress mental problem developed thru the hard ship of life, not a genetic disorder which leaves you in the clear.

Again the safest thing is not to do them and everything above is pretty much just my best opinion/advise. Good luck, be safe.

Offlinepsilo9com
Koh Koh Gadget

Re: should i use psychedelics? [Re: DailyPot]
    #1605797 - 06/03/03 06:00 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I have a close friend whose father is schizophrenic, and whenever I've dosed with him, he's been fine.

That's him though. It's always a risk.

I'm no doctor, but he's not exactly too experience with psychedelics but has taken up to 6gs dry without any signs of problems. I believe as long as you don't have a bad trip, no long term damage will really ever result from shrooms. A bad trip could cause a severe 'episode' of something, so make sure you take more cautions then usual.

Offlinetoned3f
Comfortably Numb
Loc: NY, Amerika
Re: should i use psychedelics? [Re: psilo9com]
    #1605822 - 06/03/03 06:06 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I'm the friend psilo9 mentioned.

I too was hesitant at first, but due to the lack of reliable research there was no other way for me to find out except by trying them myself.

That was four trips ago, and in that time I have not yet had a bad experience...So the idea that having the family mental history guarantees psychedelics will damage you long-term is inaccurate, and I doubt even one bad trip would stop me from shrooming in the future.

OfflineTrip
Lost Pilgrim

Re: should i use psychedelics? [Re: toned3f]
    #1606035 - 06/03/03 07:15 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

in the end youll have to make the call. me personally, i wouldnt take the chance.

Offlinencj
stoner
 User Gallery

Re: should i use psychedelics? [Re: Trip]
    #1606079 - 06/03/03 07:37 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

dailypot: my dad was like in his 40's when this happened, and no one else in my family has had schizophrenia problems.

thanks for all your help and support guys. i'm still not sure wether (spelling?) or not i will try psychedelics or not, i need some time to think about it. if i do, i will start with a low dose, like 1.5-2 grams of shrooms, this summer.

--------------------

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #1607221 - 06/04/03 05:19 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

almost a geezer here...
free advice is worth what you pay for it, but...
physiological reason for not dosing before mid-20s is that brain is still developing until early adulthood...
psychological developmental reason for not dosing until middle-age or older is that tripstuffs (psychedelics, entheogens, entactogens, psychotropics, mindbenders, whatever...) are "agents of change", injecting "novelty"  into your worldview... and for most folks, the world you experience from teen years through your 40s or so is changing enough already (puberty, school graduation, early sexual experiences, moving away from parent's home, maybe college, getting married, having & raising your own kids, getting them to survive through their teen years somehow, etc... (and then the cycle repeats :wink: ...) --- so you don't really have the time to settle into a "rut" until you are like 50-something, hehheh... and albert hofmann sez trips are best utilized by mature & elderly folks... (like in hindu society: people generally don't enter the spiritual quest until their kids are raised, and thus the seeker can quit the "householder game" and move on to the "master game"...)
(hmmm, that reminds me: check out robert de ropp's book _the master game_ )
(i'm 50-something, & my kids are not quite yet grown up... i wonder if, of the total number of trips i will experience in my life, more of them lie in my past (beginning at about age 20 or so) or in the future (running up to age 80 or so, inshallah...)(hehheh, well it's obviously too late for me to take my own advice...)
just rambling...
as for schitzing out, well... shit happens, and sometimes bad shit happening really messes with your head... & as for meds. well, meds are OK, but... everybody who trips and/or is worried about mental health should check out words of wisdom from dr abram hoffer about mental illness and nutrition, & why "megavitamin therapy" could be very useful for some folks... (he started on this trail back in the 50s, when he noticed that many of the symptoms of schizophrenia are identical to the symptoms of severe vitamin deficiency)

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Edited by gnrm23 (06/04/03 05:49 AM)

InvisiblePinhead
Oregano
Male

Loc: Hootersville
Re: should i use psychedelics? [Re: gnrm23]
    #1607270 - 06/04/03 06:28 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I waited until I was 40! I sure as hell was'nt ready at 16. I say,"wait".

Anonymous

Re: should i use psychedelics? [Re: Pinhead]
    #1607349 - 06/04/03 07:54 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I started pretty early....around 15...I've yet too have a bad trip from shrooms....they just make me way too relaxed and mellow too freak out...I get nothing but eurphoria...I have had a bad trip from acid tho...I HIGHLY doubt 1 gram of shrooms would mess you up...1 gram for me is a lot like smoking some weed...but without the paranioa...no visuals....I think you'd be safe if you started that low

Offlinefatasaurus
pinger
Loc: Melbourne, Vic, AU
Re: should i use psychedelics? [Re: ]
    #1607393 - 06/04/03 08:46 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

If you are unsure i would wait.......
i have no experience with your mental history, and no advice there.......
however, personally i beleive if you are hesitant to take a drug (especially psychedelics) you should not try them.......it may be enough to make you have a bad trip, coz if you think it may happen it normally does =/. Personally i wait till there is no doubts in my mind before i try anything new, ensures a better experience.

--------------------
"You can't make the scene, if you don't have the green"

Edited by fatasaurus (06/04/03 08:47 AM)

Anonymous

Re: should i use psychedelics? [Re: fatasaurus]
    #1607394 - 06/04/03 08:48 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I actually am always worried about bad trips....but they ALWAYS turn out great...mushrooms just never go bad for me...but this may be just with me...so ya I would listen too the advice and if you do proceed start with VERY small amounts

Invisiblepoke smot!
floccinocci floofinator
Male

Re: should i use psychedelics? *DELETED* [Re: ]
    #1607424 - 06/04/03 09:22 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by poke smot!

Reason for deletion: x

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: should i use psychedelics? [Re: poke smot!]
    #1607530 - 06/04/03 10:11 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

in an old issue of "the bulletin of atomic scientists" (you remember: the professional journal with the clockface showing how many minutes it was until midnight, symbolizing how close the world was to all-out thermonuclear war...), julian huxley wrote an article about psychedelic drugs; in the article, he seriously suggested a program in which young people were given psychedelic drugs a few times as they grew up so as to precipitate any "latent psycoses" in the adolescent population & allow early treatment of their mental illness...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Edited by gnrm23 (06/05/03 05:03 AM)

OfflineDailyPot
Trip'n Time

Loc: Florida
Re: should i use psychedelics? [Re: toned3f]
    #1608054 - 06/04/03 01:41 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

So the idea that having the family mental history guarantees psychedelics will damage you long-term is inaccurate

There is no guarantee, just a higher likely-hood.

OfflineSoliver
Stranger
Re: should i use psychedelics? [Re: DailyPot]
    #1610057 - 06/05/03 12:57 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

yes

Offlinepsilyhunter
Big Nerd
Loc: Wherever I am
    #1623702 - 06/10/03 01:05 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Uhm... your 16? I think NO you should most certainly NOT use psychedelics. Research it, think about it, learn about it. Dude, when I was 16 I just THOUGHT I was mature. I really wasn't. Seriously, when you are a teen, your brain IS STILL DEVELOPING. Its almost there, but not quite. Trust me when I say it would be worth the wait, the patience and the planning.

--------------------
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Chart your own course... but only from here to there.

Offlinencj
stoner
 User Gallery

Re: should i use psychedelics? [Re: psilyhunter]
    #1632114 - 06/13/03 07:43 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

what age would you guys think is appropriate? i know you guys will say "well its different for every person" but what would you think is an average. i've decided not to try psychedelics this summer, or anytime soon. i will probably wait til i am older, in college, and in my own apartment. that way i dont have to worry about my mom catching me trippin on shrooms.

--------------------

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: NSW, Australia.
    #1632196 - 06/13/03 08:58 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

At 16 you think you know what you're getting yourself into,hell you think you know it all (you don't - I've been there).

WAIT. If you're still interested at 25 and are not suffering from menal illness, think about it then. 16 is way too young, no matter what most 16 year olds think. :smile:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale