Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleTHE KRAT BARON
one-eyed willie
 User Gallery
Exclusive HT Interview with Alexander Shulgin.
    #3904746 - 03/11/05 10:17 PM (12 years, 19 days ago)

Thought you guys might find this of some interest. Exclusive Interview with Alexander Shulgin Ph.D. As most of you already know Alexander Shulgin has taken more psychedelic drugs in variety not volume than any human being in history that has been documented to this date.

This man is credited with bringing the world countless psychedelic chemicals that were otherwise never known or nonexistant.

I am more than willing to scan the full article and post it up as a .jpg image if anybody is interested. It is a fairly small article but is interesting none-the-less.

UPDATED Now you can view the article and interview straight out of High Times courtesy of my scanner. GO HERE NOW. Just click the pictures and under the pictures click View Full Size.

For now however I will quote the interview from the article:

"
Question: Let's say you meet somebody on a bus or an airplane, you get to talking and they ask, "What do you do for a living?" How do you respond?

Answer: Well, it depends on the environment and my take on the person. In general, something to the effect of "I'm very interested in tools for studying the brain, especially the mind and mental process, and I invent new compounds as research tools to do the task."

Question: What are some of the things you've invented?

Answer: Oh, over 150 different psychedelic drugs.

Question: What does "psychedelic" mean? Why do you use that word?

Answer: If I stop someone and ask them, "What is psychedelic?" they kind of know in their heart that it's something that turns you on and gets your brain and mind in a very interesting place--sometimes an uncomfortable place, but a very creative place. They may not approve, but at least they know what I'm talking about.

Question: Would you prefer "psychedelic" to be a neutral term, or does it express something that you believe in?

Answer: I believe in in it, and to me it's more positive than neutral. Where I get a little bit uncomfortable is when it goes into the rave or the hippie scenes, into the totally illegal direction--because this jeopordizes its value as a research tool.

Question: If the drug warriors manage to suppress all psychedelics, what will we have lost?

Answer: A little bit more of our freedom. And our ability to look into new areas.

Question: Where do you do your work?

Answer: I have a labratory behind my house. It's known to the authorities and not disapproved of. I keep all the inexpensive equipment there, and I use the expensive equipment at a nearby hospital, where I work in the clinical pharmacology group.

Question: If somebody wanted to re-create your home lab, about how much would they have to spend?

Answer: Well, I have a magic stock-room with 10- to 15,000 chemicals in it. If they wanted to reproduce that, they'd be very hard-pressed. I have been collecting materials from a university here and a company there--anywhere they're told by the environmental people, "Get rid of these things. They're carcinogenic, they're explosive, they're all kinds of negative things, and since you have people employed here, you can't keep this in stock." So I get a phone call saying, "We're coming in with a bunch of boxes." And it's beautiful. It's sort of an idea source. I browse amongst the latest and see what I can do with it.

Question: What's some of the stuff you have that's the hardest to find?

Answer: If it's hard to buy, or I need a starting material, I'll just make it, because I have complete synthetic labratories.

Question: "To synthesize" means what?

Answer: Synthesizing is like cooking. You follow a recipe and, by cooking, heating, filtering, decanting something else, you get your product. The process requires a recipe, and if it hasn't been done before, you have to make up the recipe yourself. Pretty much, if you can do 10 things in the kitchen--boil something, filter something, decant something--you can do 10 things in the labratory. You can be a cook or a chemist. Subtlety comes with years of experience.

Question: Would you say the process is more scientific or artistic? Or do they overlap?

Answer: Chemistry is like writing a piece of music. You try something, it doesn't sound good, and so you change the note. It's very much feeling your way into new territory, not following the rigors of the textbook. There's a rhythm to it.

Question: How would you describe your relationship with these molecules?

Answer: You go into a labratory and mix and mix and mix, and you come up with a white crystalline solid [that's] never been seen before--maybe on some distant planet, but certainly not on this planet. You think it might be a psychedelic drug. What's your relationship with that white solid? Would you get rid of it? Would you want to learn from it? Would you treat it with care? With disgust? How much would you take? A milligram? A gram? A microgram? You don't know. You have had no communication at all yet, and you don't know where to start. So you work your way up, sneak up on the effects, and eventually you establish a dialogue.

Question: Are you the first person to ingest these molecules?

Answer: Yes.

Question: Is that a break with scientific convention?

Answer: Ann Shulgin: Only very recent scientific convention.

Question: How much different is it to take a drug when you really don't know what's going to happen?

Answer: One of the more difficult experiences I have had was with one of the higher 2CT compounds, which I had actually invented about 25 years earlier. I found myself in a state of bliss, which is something way up there. You look at a cat, smile, wiggle your nose, and the cat turns and runs away--that kind of a complete control of everything around you. I said to myself, "What if I stay here? My God, I don't want that." I had the horrible feeling that I'd just thrown a bliss switch somewhere. Can you imagine being blissful for the rest of your life? That's nice for the first little while, but if it doesn't go away, it gets kind of burdensome.

Question: What do you think is really happening when you ingest psychedelics?

Answer: A lot of people say, "Well, this drug does so and so, or it produces this visual thing." Nonsense. Drugs don't do it; they allow you to do it. Each drug allows you to open a different door. You can't imagine a little white solid could carry memories of your childhood.

Question: Are there any drugs that you think should be illegal

Answer: No.

Question: How do you feel about the movement of substances you synthesized, such as MDMA, from academic, scientific research circles to a wider drug culture?

Answer: I'm not surprised it happened. I'm saddened that it's no longer available in the medical community, because it was a fantastic tool in the practice of medicine. MAPS has finally gotten approval for new MDMA research after a couple years of paperwork manipulation. Rick Doblin has been very persistent and diligent working to get that approved.

Question: What do you hope will come out of that study?

Answer: I think, eventually, the realization that nothing much is gained and a lot is lost by laws restricting research. Something is Schedule I because it has no accepted medical utility, but [it] only has no accepted medical utility because you can't do research on it because it's Schedule I. It's a loop without a break, and I think that out of this may come some way of breaking that self-sustaining loop.

Question: What do you think about the government- and corporate- approved alternatives--drugs like Paxil, Prozac, Ambien and that whole field?

Answer: The direction in pharmaceutical research is to bring back to normal people who are diagnosed as being not quite where they should be--as if this were the ultimate goal, to be normal. I believe a lot in researching how to take a person and expand him into areas that are not immediately apparent--not to make a sick person well, but to let a well person see what he is.
"

There you have it guys.. Exclusive interview with Alexander "Sasha" Shulgin courtesy of High Times Magazine. Typed up for your pleasures by myself. You can find the full article in the May 2005 edition of High Times.

Source: May 2005 edt of High Times Magazine
Author: David Bienenstock

--------------------
m00nshine is currently vacationing in Maui. Rumor has it he got rolled by drunken natives and is currently prostituting himself in order to pay for airfare back to the mainland but he's having trouble juggling a hairon addiction. He won't be back for a long while.

Edited by mattzdope (03/11/05 11:26 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Exclusive HT Interview with Alexander Shulgin. [Re: THE KRAT BARON]
    #3904780 - 03/11/05 10:26 PM (12 years, 19 days ago)

Excellent read. Thanks for posting this.  :thumbup:

InvisibleJoeChip
Entropy
Re: Exclusive HT Interview with Alexander Shulgin. [Re: World Spirit]
    #3904820 - 03/11/05 10:36 PM (12 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

Enter said:
Excellent read. Thanks for posting this.  :thumbup:

Agreed.

--------------------
I am Ubik. Before the universe was, I am. I made the suns. I made the worlds. I created the lives and the places they inhabit; I move them here, I put them there. They go as I say, they do as I tell them. I am the word and my name is never spoken, the name which no one knows. I am called Ubik, but that is not my name. I am. I shall always be.

InvisibleTHE KRAT BARON
one-eyed willie
 User Gallery
    #3904825 - 03/11/05 10:37 PM (12 years, 19 days ago)

No problems. Anything for my fellow shroomery brothers and sisters. I knew you would all enjoy this.  :heart:

--------------------
m00nshine is currently vacationing in Maui. Rumor has it he got rolled by drunken natives and is currently prostituting himself in order to pay for airfare back to the mainland but he's having trouble juggling a hairon addiction. He won't be back for a long while.

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3904865 - 03/11/05 10:49 PM (12 years, 19 days ago)

Can you post the link ?

InvisibleTHE KRAT BARON
one-eyed willie
 User Gallery
    #3904893 - 03/11/05 10:55 PM (12 years, 19 days ago)

I typed it up myself. Just got the magazine in the mail today. It's quoted and typed out to the T. Everything is exact as it appears in the magazine.

--------------------

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

#3904908 - 03/11/05 11:01 PM (12 years, 19 days ago)

Thanks, dude!

Quote:

The direction in pharmaceutical research is to bring back to normal people who are diagnosed as being not quite where they should be--as if this were the ultimate goal, to be normal. I believe a lot in researching how to take a person and expand him into areas that are not immediately apparent--not to make a sick person well, but to let a well person see what he is.

Awesome

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3904919 - 03/11/05 11:04 PM (12 years, 19 days ago)

Well, can you mail me your issue then? j/k
I guess you're gonna make me buy the issue.

InvisibleTHE KRAT BARON
one-eyed willie
 User Gallery
    #3904923 - 03/11/05 11:06 PM (12 years, 19 days ago)

You should subscribe. It is much cheaper. I will scan a picture of the article if you'd like? It is a small article. The interview was the part that was most interesting. If you want it for collectors purposes however by all means go get the issue.  :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
Loc: Way Up North
    #3905034 - 03/11/05 11:43 PM (12 years, 19 days ago)

Nice read man, thanks.

Offlineliveby
Wasted For Time
 User Gallery

Re: Exclusive HT Interview with Alexander Shulgin. [Re: Adom]
    #3905892 - 03/12/05 06:38 AM (12 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

Adom said:
Nice read man, thanks.

--------------------

http://www.bruceeisner.com/ -Creating a Sensible Culture

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: Exclusive HT Interview with Alexander Shulgin. [Re: liveby]
    #3906075 - 03/12/05 10:03 AM (12 years, 18 days ago)

I have yet to formulate an opinion on the man. Obviously, he is a genius chemist and done a lot in the research of psychedlics.

I've just started reading TIHKAL, which is actually the seond book in the series (guess I'll be reading them out of order). I've heard from several thet their impression of him is that he is somewhat arrogant, and a tad conceded.

I like his philosophies on psychedelics although sometimes from reading passages of the book it seems as if he's dying to come out and say: "oh by the way, losing your mind is fun too".

There is an outside chance in hell I'll have a chance to meet him at the annual CPDD (college of problems and drug dependence) meeting this summer, although I'm slowly getting the impression the meeting will be more conservative and anti-drug.

Anywho, just wondering if anyone else has read his stuff and wanted to comment.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

InvisibleTHE KRAT BARON
one-eyed willie
 User Gallery
    #3919948 - 03/15/05 08:53 AM (12 years, 15 days ago)

bumped. for anybody that hasn't read this yet really should. very interesting.

--------------------

OfflinePlok
Life is fractal
Male

Loc: Los Angeles
    #3923285 - 03/15/05 11:38 PM (12 years, 15 days ago)

What 2CT- drug is he talking about?

--------------------
Just say NO to the War on Drugs.

OfflineDeathexplosion
Loc: somewhere out there
Re: Exclusive HT Interview with Alexander Shulgin. [Re: Plok]
    #3923741 - 03/16/05 01:10 AM (12 years, 15 days ago)

cant go wrong with Shulgin

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
    #4017050 - 04/05/05 02:11 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Holy yum. Thanks for posting this.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

InvisibleColonel Kurtz Ph.D
What What?
Male User Gallery
Loc: Shadow Moses
Re: Exclusive HT Interview with Alexander Shulgin. [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4017844 - 04/05/05 04:42 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

:thumbup:

So many thanks. Shulgin always speaks wisely.

--------------------
:whatwhat:

There's no better way to rock out than with your cock out!!

OfflineAnnomM
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Europe
    #4017891 - 04/05/05 04:49 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Thank you very much!

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #4018345 - 04/05/05 07:24 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Amazing, thank you for sharing.  :heart:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience