Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblecottlestonpie
wanderer
I'm a teapot

What are your thoughts on Taoism?
    #1242207 - 01/23/03 06:47 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I've recently come across a few books about about Taoism. I have never really read anything or heard anything about it before but I wish I had, this stuff is very enlightening and interesting. I havnt really believed in any kind of religion or philosophy, but I really dig the way a taoist looks at thing and interpruts everthing. I was just wanted to hear other peoples thought and opinions of taoism, positive or negative. Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: What are your thoughts on Taoism? [Re: cottlestonpie]
    #1242238 - 01/23/03 06:57 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

power-hungry zen

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Invisiblethe_Landotter
Gnostic Chaoist

Loc: R'lyeh
    #1242298 - 01/23/03 07:14 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

The movement of the Tao is self-evident.

I like your screen name. A.A. Milne, isn't it?

"Ask me a question and I reply,
Cottleston, cottleston, cottleston pie."

Find "The Tao of Pooh" - you will enjoy.

--------------------
Read the Landotter's Mystical Journey Journal

OfflineSnuffelzFurever
Psychonaut

Loc: Miami, florida
    #1242350 - 01/23/03 07:51 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

have you read "tao te ching" by lao tzu? pretty fundamental to taoism :-)

--------------------
"I think it's time we stop
Children, What's the sound,
Everybody look what's going down"

Invisiblecottlestonpie
wanderer
I'm a teapot

Re: What are your thoughts on Taoism? [Re: SnuffelzFurever]
    #1242385 - 01/23/03 08:03 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Yes that name does come from the Pooh books. Glad you noticed :smile:

The first book I read was some intro book on it, and the second book i read was The Tao of Pooh which was an excellent read by the way.  I haven't been able to get my hand on the Tao Te Ching yet but I'm looking, does anyway have any book recommendations that might be interesting?  I also just  got done reading Walden by Henry David Thoreau (sp?) and I think it has a lot to do with Taoism as well especially about getting back to nature and living of the land and breaking everything down to the basic needs.  It makes more sense to live a simple life instead of spending it working hard as hell to get somewhere, and when you get there you've wasted your life for nothing.
I just like the emphasis of nature and being peaceful and calm.  I found myself having a lot of the same thoughts and views as a Taoist does and its good to read something based on a lot of my feelings about life. 

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Loc: Portland, OR
    #1242387 - 01/23/03 08:04 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

the ol' rascally poets are all that i appreciate.
the lao tzu and the chuang tzu and cold mountain poems by han shan

stay away from the many taoist prudes...

i think you'd have some positive experiences by looking into a couple of Alan Watts' books on Taoism.

--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

Invisiblecottlestonpie
wanderer
I'm a teapot

Re: What are your thoughts on Taoism? [Re: CosmicJoke]
    #1242411 - 01/23/03 08:11 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

The one intro book I read was by Alan Watts now that I think of it.

From what I can understand from my reading, it can be pretty easy for a person to feel better than everyone else if that person feels he has be enlightened and has become one with the tao, but if they do act like a prude then i dont think they are taking taoism for what it is and are usuing it to make everyone feel smaller than they are because they havnt reached where they are at. It is not my wish to be like this, nor to I want all to hva e apower trip, I think it taoism can be undertood correctly that one shouldnt come off as a prude. and thank for the warning I will stay away from people of that character. I know I am new to this kind of stuff so I just want to educate myself and take what I can to become a better person

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
    #1242616 - 01/23/03 09:56 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

It makes more sense to live a simple life instead of spending it working hard as hell to get somewhere, and when you get there you've wasted your life for nothing.

I dont think that applies to all lives... If you have lived a life where you truely pushed the limits and boundaries of what was possible, I think you are doing something positive for the collective mind. :smile:
But the brightest flames are the fastest to extinguish... 

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #1242620 - 01/23/03 09:58 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I heartily support the "War Against Taoists".

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: What are your thoughts on Taoism? [Re: Swami]
    #1243382 - 01/23/03 02:20 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

LOL
Swami... if you keep making me laugh like that, I'm going to send you my medical bills (busted gut).

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Anonymous

Re: What are your thoughts on Taoism? [Re: Swami]
    #1243399 - 01/23/03 02:26 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

You would, you ol' fakir, you.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
    #1243654 - 01/23/03 03:41 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I'm just going to second CosmicJoke's suggestions. The Tao Te Ching (Lao Tzu) and Chuang Tzu are probably the best place to start.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinefreakish
...breathing...

Re: What are your thoughts on Taoism? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1243768 - 01/23/03 04:19 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I really dig the philosophies of Taoism. In fact lately i've been trying to study as much as I can about easter wisdom.

As for books, DON'T read the Te of Piglet. I find it to have some good information in it but frankly its just steeped in the author's personal opinion about everything. I think when you're teaching you shouldn't mix too much of your own bias into the idea you're trying to get across. Well..maybe you should read it just to make your own judgement, but personally that's what -I- think. BUt its a good thing the world doesn't revolve around my judgements:P

maybe we can chat sometime, pm me...

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
    #1243792 - 01/23/03 04:26 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: What are your thoughts on Taoism? [Re: Adamist]
    #1243881 - 01/23/03 05:01 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

I dont think that applies to all lives... If you have lived a life where you truely pushed the limits and boundaries of what was possible, I think you are doing something positive for the collective mind.
But the brightest flames are the fastest to extinguish...

i dont know if you or anyone has seen Blade Runner but if you havent there are some great lines in that movie and a great Vision i think we should all see, its been a great dream movie for me and great reminder of my life. when the creator is talking to Rutga Howard or however you spell it and they are talking about why he only has so long to live he says

"The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long. And you have burned so very very brightly, Roy."
------
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams ... glitter in the dark near Tanhauser Gate. All those ... moments will be lost ... in time, like tears ... in rain. Time ... to die."
------
i just thought that was a good quote you made and thought i would allude it, and in the end one of the detectives is talking to harrison ford and he says something i think is really important to remember.

"Its too bad she won't live. But then again who does?"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zhora:
"Are you for Real?"

--------------------
What?

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: What are your thoughts on Taoism? [Re: Zero7a1]
    #1243930 - 01/23/03 05:15 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

just cause i should say, just cause it is what i think makes ^^^^ worth it.
----------
"Vincent: You want to know how I did it? This is how I did it, Anton: I never saved anything for the swim back. "
----------------------
for the topic and discussion at hand i should say i would be utterly lost without the tao and may not have made it so far.

whats a life worth living if you live it in ration?

if you have to survive, survive to live, dont live to survive.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Vincent: I was never more certain of how far away I was from my goal than when I was standing right beside it. "
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"For someone who was never meant for this world, I must admit I am having a hard time leaving it. Although they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home. "
---------------------------------------------------------------------
i dont know if sometimes any of you feel this way but i certainly have since the day i was born, and if its ever rough and too rough just watch this movie your eyes will water and the sun will smile on your eyes :wink: :smile:

///--------------------------------------------------------

"You are the authority on what is not possible, aren't you Irene? They've got you looking for any flaw, that after a while that's all you see! For what it's worth, I'm here to tell you that it is possible. It is possible. "

"Vincent: It's funny, you work so hard, you do everything you can to get away from a place, and when you finally get your chance to leave, you find a reason to stay. "

(everything in quotes is from gattaca)

--------------------
What?

Edited by Zero7a1 (01/23/03 05:18 PM)

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
    #1244508 - 01/23/03 10:45 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I think the Tao is a beautiful philosophy, Its probabaly the one I feel most at home with out of all the Eastern traditions. I also prefer chinese food to indian!!

If you get a chance try and find a good chi gong / Tai chi teacher. The daddy of all martial arts and a great way to gain a more tangible feel for the philosophy!

Peace

--------------------
Always Smi2le

OfflineEarth_Droid
Stranger
    #1244518 - 01/23/03 11:01 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I like the concept of the Tao. It is one of the closest description to the transdendental nature of man.

Offlinemachineelf368
self-transforming

Loc: in the mountains, awaitin...
    #1245708 - 01/24/03 09:32 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I forgot who told me this or where I read it, but the simplest explanation of Taoism that I've come across is this story:

A Taoist master is speaking before a large congregation of people. One of the audience members raises his hand and asks the master, "What is the Tao?" The master walks over to where the student is sitting and smacks him upside the head.

Yay. I know there are several versions of the Tao Te Ching online if you search for awhile, but I wouldn't be able to vouch for the ease-of-reading of those translations. My favorite translation is by Arthur Waley, the book's called The Way and It's Power. And remember, a fly can't bird but a bird can fly. Ask me a riddle and I'll reply...
-m

--------------------
(the above was deciphered from phi (~1.62) using an advanced alphanumeric conversion algorhythm and should not be perceived as meaningful.)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom