Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Be Mindful of Your Thoughts; Connections
    #1938148 - 09/21/03 04:56 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Hhm... this post is suspossed to be quite the post, but I forsee that I will have quite the trouble getting my point across; it just may collapse.

Our minds are pretty unique. They start out with nothing put in them. No thoughts to guide the creation of other thoughts that become the programs that produce actions. I don't know what the fucking first thought that comes into our head, or even what produces that thought, or how any of the thoughts that effectively make us breathe and every other physical action our bodies make in order to survive are formed or even what those thoughts consist of.

What I do know is that a language is formed. Certain sounds (or, in the case of us thinking in our head, the thought of the sound) are given meaning. They mean different things.

The meaning isn't the word itself, and the word is not the meaning. It is the thought that connects these two thoughts that makes us realize what one word means. "cat" equates into "small, furry animal, purrs, etc." (of course, describing this animal like this uses words as well, but I can't very well use the graphic images in my head to convey my point through this medium, now can I?). This consists of three groups of thoughts: how to manipulate our mouths to say cat, how to manipulate our eyes to read cat, and how to manipulate some tool to write cat; the thoughts that paint the image of what the cat is into our brain; and the thoughts that tie the other two group of thoughts together.

I am really taken back by how we actually come to understand and use language. We apparently start with some very basic thoughts that don't even consist of words or language (not including the "thoughts" that control physical functions, as I don't understand what they are or how they work.. well, i have SOME idea, i guess, but it doesn't really matter right now), and very basic connections are established in time until we have an actual medium of self expression and of encoding our experiences and feelings into little packages to carry their essence.

It seems that our ability to establish connections (which themselves are thoughts) ends up defining our intelligence. The better we are at tying things together, the more we understand this Universe that we are existing in..

Anyways, our thoughts definitely shape the way we perceive the world, what we understand, how we look at things, how we feel. Some people take people's actions and what they say at face value. Some people begin to also piece together that person's motivations and etc. for what they said, what they did, what could possibly have went through their heads..

But yeah. When one sets out to learn a new language, establishing these connections is an active process. A lot of people find it to be quite difficult and give up, but it is suspossed to be a gradual process, it all depends on how well we can assimilate new thoughts and information... When I first came to Norway, it was quite the new experience, you know? Completely different surroundings and situations to be in. When I would be going to sleep those first few days, I of course just didn't drift automatically to sleep.

So, there I am, barely conscious, and my thoughts are just drifting by.. Out of nowhere, single thoughts would pop up, relating to like things that I have seen or done that would now become a regular part of my life... I was actually witnessing the connection process at work..

Anyways, every thought that has been thought was never thought before and will never be thought again. Two different thoughts might have the exact same message and meaning, but it isn't like the old thought was booted up and then re-experienced. It is a new thought..

And related thoughts that form our ideas on how things work or who we are end up actually forming our outlook on things, who we actually are, and so forth. "Be mindful of your thoughts": There is a lot of meaning in that phrase. Think angry thoughts, and you begin to become angry...

But yeah, the topic that I am trying to go on about is near infinite in content, and it is basically impossible to cover a quarter of the ground... but I thought I would share. :grin:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: Be Mindful of Your Thoughts; Connections [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1940159 - 09/22/03 11:22 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

evolving thoughts. Maybe our basic core program (DNA) has more or less instructed us to arrive at certain points and time to for who we are. As our chemicals hit one another, exchange of connections, thoughts, we begin to form ideas... These ideas are carried over, over righted, and changed into something dynamic. And maybe that is good for us in a way, cause with all that damn information, probably would have exploded by now. Heh, i lost that ability some time ago, to be mindful of my thoughts. Now its a recovery process, to try to re write the writer. Although i dont think we are a complete slave to our dna, their exists within each human for one reason or another to rise above what they come to understand. They just have to be willing. TO me this is the core of evolution, to recognize a flaw and or block, and to transcend that. If you cant pull, you have to push to make your way. If we could not adapt our minds would die, this could be said the same for our thoughts. If our thoughts could not change, how could that infinite process go into something so finite as our body. Explosion would occur! error, and kaput. You know the story. I feel that i have recognized the problem in myself of being weary of my thoughts... Ive pushed and pulled to where it doesnt matter any more. SO no im just trying to let go.

--------------------
What?

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: Be Mindful of Your Thoughts; Connections [Re: Zero7a1]
    #1940359 - 09/22/03 12:56 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Our DNA leading our thoughts? Never heard that one, but I have no background in science....

This is the core of science, though, finding something that limits us and then transcending it.. There is going to be a lot of necessary shit that will be transcended very shortly...

You should take control of your head again and be mindful of your thoughts, I have grown up with NO control and am finally able to control the thoughts that I think, for the most part.. my life is better for it, too.
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

#1940840 - 09/22/03 03:29 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

well our dna builds our body, and i know its making a leap, although i dont think that leap to be too great, that to a lesser extent our mind and body are very much one. Our dna spiraling to create our brain. That doesnt take into account accidents that change our brain chemistry, emotional experiences, etc. But it may be the key to driving certain characterstics of who we are, chemical processes of our brain engrained and instructed by our dna. I like to think that the chaos i am in is like a teacher, as i let go, it will teach me, and i can learn how to take a grip on what i dont understand. I try not to set too many goals like "getting my head toned down" anymore, although i do, i dont put so much emphasis on the particulars. Theres way to damn many, and like you said, they are changing all the time.

--------------------
What?

OfflineNapkinOfDoom
The CombatWombat

#1941240 - 09/22/03 05:07 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

your dna has nothing to do with your ideas and thoughts....experiences and knowledge lead to our thoughts, ideas, and conjectures. dna is a mindless machine that works constantly without any thought process happening. it does what it was meant to do and that is all. our personalities are based on what we have encountered during our life, not based on genetic structure

thats just my opinion

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: Be Mindful of Your Thoughts; Connections [Re: NapkinOfDoom]
    #1941282 - 09/22/03 05:19 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

NapkinOfDoom said:
your dna has nothing to do with your ideas and thoughts....experiences and knowledge lead to our thoughts, ideas, and conjectures.  dna is a mindless machine that works constantly without any thought process happening.  it does what it was meant to do and that is all.  our personalities are based on what we have encountered during our life, not based on genetic structure

thats just my opinion 

That's my opinion, too, but I know absolutely nothing really about DNA, so I really couldn't say, perhaps it does sort of unravel catalyst thoughts when the time is right.. but I tend to believe in what you said, in fact, you pretty much summed it up. :grin:
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#2173492 - 12/12/03 08:09 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Well, I was reading some of my bookmarked posts, and I found this one interesting, and I thought I might bring it up for today's crowd, see if you could find something to say or not to see if we could get some new thoughts added in...

In more simpler terms...

Bump. :grin:
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

#2173515 - 12/12/03 08:28 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

DNA can influence your mind to the exten that it determines for a large part how are physical parts are created... THEREFORE in order for our perception to be the way it is, it needs physical hardware to process the thoughts/experiences. Connect back to orignial argument... that was my point. 

So if im thinking all these fucked up thoughts... and everyone is saying "keep thinking those fucked up thoughts, youll be fucked up!" Well too LATE! But... keep in mind that I keep a check with my thoughts, i keep a check of ... faith? That i know what i am doing, that i am here because i choose to be, and ive integrated these thoughts ever since ive had this "concious" awareness you might call it... The understanding... that im thinking... yes. thats it.

SO more or less i sometimes feel restricted by my physical body, while i still think that i have the choice to interpret my experiences at will, i must take into consideration how those thoughts are generated :wink:

--------------------
What?

OfflinePanoramix
Getafix
Male

Loc: Everywhere else
    #2173527 - 12/12/03 08:35 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Interesting stuff, I'd have to side with you and the Napkin of Doom on the whole DNA determining thought thingy.

And the third-to-last paragraph of your initial post reminded me of this whole negative thought loop I had one time when very messed up on shroom tea. Oddly enough, I kept having that 'no thought can be fully re-experienced' idea over and over again, and managed to convince myself that it was, indeed, the EXACT same thought. It was causing me no end of distress, making me quite weary of my own thoughts, as Zero put it. Then I realized that the escalating level of discomfort and revultion indicated that the thoughts were different.

That's the only time I can recall fully losing control of my mind. Scary stuff, minding one's thoughts are what minds are for, a certain amount. If you ask me.

--------------------
Don't worry, I'm wrong.

Edited by Panoramix (12/12/03 08:37 PM)

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#2173533 - 12/12/03 08:39 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Hehe, you and me are the only ones that keep this thread going. :grin:

Actually, I find it really interesting that you replied, man, to see what your take is on it now. That's basically why I dug this up, to get new thoughts going.. hehe

I consider DNA like the specifications for our hardware, and of course, that effects our software peformance.

I mean, there are many different types of intelligence. Some people like slowly and steadily build up an understanding. Others have the ability to multitask and look at things from many different levels and from different perspectives...

Maybe tomorrow I will get into how these thoughts are networked, between ourselves and others and so forth, but I need rest now. :grin:
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #2173569 - 12/12/03 09:15 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2173912 - 12/13/03 01:30 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Hoping to keep this at the top because I'm not done reading and responding to it. So far, an interesting read.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2174524 - 12/13/03 12:31 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

fireworks_god said:
It seems that our ability to establish connections (which themselves are thoughts) ends up defining our intelligence. The better we are at tying things together, the more we understand this Universe that we are existing in..

Anyways, our thoughts definitely shape the way we perceive the world, what we understand, how we look at things, how we feel. Some people take people's actions and what they say at face value. Some people begin to also piece together that person's motivations and etc. for what they said, what they did, what could possibly have went through their heads..

This is true, and it's a pain in the ass to try to convince someone whom I've offended that I didn't mean what I did or said the way they are interpreting it. 

Quote:

So, there I am, barely conscious, and my thoughts are just drifting by.. Out of nowhere, single thoughts would pop up, relating to like things that I have seen or done that would now become a regular part of my life... I was actually witnessing the connection process at work..

Anyways, every thought that has been thought was never thought before and will never be thought again. Two different thoughts might have the exact same message and meaning, but it isn't like the old thought was booted up and then re-experienced. It is a new thought..

And related thoughts that form our ideas on how things work or who we are end up actually forming our outlook on things, who we actually are, and so forth. "Be mindful of your thoughts": There is a lot of meaning in that phrase. Think angry thoughts, and you begin to become angry...

But yeah, the topic that I am trying to go on about is near infinite in content, and it is basically impossible to cover a quarter of the ground... but I thought I would share. :grin:
Peace.

I never thought about that before, but it's interesting.  When I have a new experience, I may have thoughts of other experiences that will probably help me to interpret the new experience. And this is probably why every one has a different reality.  I think. 

Doesn't dreaming play a part in making the new connections also?

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: Be Mindful of Your Thoughts; Connections [Re: Frog]
    #2174531 - 12/13/03 12:38 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Ja, I would say dreaming plays a large part, but I really am not knowledgable in the subject to speak with any certainty. :grin:

Conscious evolution is definitely a worthwhile pursuit, in my ever so humble.
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
    #2174671 - 12/13/03 02:32 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

"So, there I am, barely conscious, and my thoughts are just drifting by.. Out of nowhere, single thoughts would pop up, relating to like things that I have seen or done that would now become a regular part of my life... I was actually witnessing the connection process at work.."

Basicly thats what dreams are, you mind reveiws your thoughts of the day, subconcious and concious ones, and sorts them out... thats just one part of dreaming tho, then you have your mind exploring tangents and fantasies in full screen, and im sure there are many other things that happen during deep sleep, but I do know that sorting thoughts and connectiong motives and things you perhaps dident notice during the day are things that happen subconciously during sleep

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology