Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Learned
    #1166050 - 12/24/02 12:11 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Okay, this is kinda hard to word out.

What is some knowledge you've uncovered as you've grown up? Try to imagine yourself as a kid and how completely oblivious you were to the world.
I don't mean the kinds of things we are 'supposed' to learn, like where babies come from and how the metric system works, but the things America didn't try and teach you, the things you found out yourself through your own personal experience.

One of the things I've found is how much truth there is to many song lyrics. Not truth as in 'this is how it is', but this is how this person really looks at the world. There ARE such things as perspectives that don't fit in with society.
It's strange to me to think of how in the past I would have brushed it all off as JUST lyrics to make a song, not that the writers were taking serious honest looks at their world and trying to translate it. Also alot of people just sum their poetry up as 'he's on drugs'.

Also the evil drug veil was removed a long time ago to really make me question what is up and that the government's intentions aren't all cake and flowers like they claim.

Also with the aid of history classes I've learned what a farce organized religion is.

How afraid people are. The contagious levels of paranoia flowing through the streets.

Above all how fucked up everything is, how there is no 'black and white', and how the only sane way for me to be right now is very confused.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Re: Learned [Re: Grav]
    #1166078 - 12/24/02 12:54 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

One thing I've learned is to not worry so much about things.  To take things as they come, and cross each bridge when I come to it.  To live in the now.  It's good to think about and make goals for the future, but not to live for it. 

I've learned that bad things can be good in their own way.  Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

I've learned that each person in the world is unique, yet we all share a common bond.

I've learned that everyone is selfish.

I've learned to follow my own heart.  To do what I want to do and not let others influence me or my decisions.  To rely on myself and my own inner strength to get through life and not to depend on others.

And I'm sure I've learned a lot more things, but those are all I can think of right now!

Good post! :smile:

-RebelSteve 

--------------------
Namaste.

Offlinehighwayman
long hair, butno hippie

#1166402 - 12/24/02 04:04 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

The defining lesson of my childhood was most likely the nature of fear. I was run by it in my early youth, growing up the fat white kid in a lower middle class hispanic community,  I was constantly target of other people's own fears and lack of self respect. Walking the mile home from elementary school every day seemed a task in itself. Then one fateful day, epiphany, they fear too. Instantly my instinct was to use this fear. My taste in clothing quickly changed from the benign pants and collared shirts my parents dressed me in (most with horizontal stripes, why I'll never know...  :tongue:) to darker colors and finally all black by the time I hit highschool. Being over six foot by this time as well as "the fat kid" (though that went away in the following years anyway) I made quite an imposing sight. There the situation changed, but only slightly, there at least I wasn't alone in my fears.  I continued on this way for all of highschool, instilling, even inflicting fear on people so I wouldn't have to feel it myself. I'm not sure what triggered it (I would guess either the martial arts training I've done and/or my use of mushrooms, but it more just faded in than hit me), but sometime after highschool, I realized what I was doing wasn't facing fear, it was simply hiding behind it. I go out of my way these days to avoid wearing all black, it really disturbs me, I feel like I'm throwing up a flag that screams "I'M AFRAID", though people generally don't read it that way. Besides creating fear all around you is hell on a person socially. Now days, I feel I work better in anything I do when the adrenaline is flowing or I'm just plain unsure of the outcome of an action. I revel in it at times even. 

Invisibledee_N_ae
\/\/¡†¢h |-|øµ§³ ¢å†
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Shadow of Neptune
    #1166554 - 12/24/02 05:10 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I've learned that death is not something one should be afraid of.

I wonder if other animals are as keenly aware of death as us?
I've heard of elephants "crying" or seemingly displaying emotion over skeletons of other elephants...but that's one species.
Animals have an entire system of instincts and senses evolved to protect the life they have.  Fear is an embedded biological response.

We're a species with no natural predators, yet we still have a very strong biological fear mechanism that is now triggered by what are, for the most part, non-threats; such as ideas.

Is this fear really necessary any more?

Of course some ideas such as Imperialism and the war in Iraq that we are now dealing with certainly are life threatening to people...but...
As humans, we have an awareness of our eventual demise as an individual.
It could be by American bombs, or it could be in a boating accident on the 4th of July.  Regardless of how or when, it's going to happen to you.
How does this shape the way we live our lives?
How many of us are driven by fear of the complete unkown that is what we'll become when our physical bodies wither away?
How many of these people are running the world's governments?

...hmm.. maybe I've gone a bit off topic  :smirk:

Edited by dee_N_ae (12/24/02 05:15 AM)

Offlineribbit
up till dawn

Re: Learned [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #1166615 - 12/24/02 05:35 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I've learned that bad things can be good in their own way. Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

ill have to agree to an extent. bad things do happen that when we overcome them, we become stronger. not in all cases, not even alot of serious ones, when talking about bad things happening. it should be rephrased to:
'whatever doesn't kill you, it may or may not make you stronger, but will definately change you'

i only talk from personal exp:

from childhood till now, i have learned that people live their lives in accordance to everyone else. 'not all' but most. i learned that i was born into a world that says i have to live by their rules, and that being different from the majority is socially wrong. basically as previously stated -shits fucked up-

all i can do is bare it

Edited by ribbit (12/24/02 05:37 AM)

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1167777 - 12/24/02 12:46 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I've learned that we are all way more similar then I had originally thought, and that, when it comes down to it, not many people really know anything (including me).

There is always room for growth and learning, and it is never too late for more of each

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
    #1168203 - 12/24/02 04:47 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I learned that most people are stupid and greedy. Most people have no origional thoughts or ideas and they would rather go along with the croud than do something different.

I also learned that I have to share a world with these people. There is no escape.

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Learned [Re: Murex]
    #1168473 - 12/24/02 06:22 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Most people have no origional thoughts or ideas and they would rather go along with the croud than do something different.

If you really feel that way, then why do you frequently get so angry when someone does not go along with the crowd and questions popular beiliefs

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: Learned [Re: Swami]
    #1168517 - 12/24/02 06:38 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Swami...
It's cool to say "fuck you for joining the blind masses! I'm different... and this is why you suck... blah blah blah"... the image of rebellion and "counterculture" is quite seductive in itself. You don't even really need to be original or different to think that you are so.

It's why Hot Topic rakes it in...

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Learned [Re: Murex]
    #1168525 - 12/24/02 06:42 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I also learned that I have to share a world with these people. There is no escape.

*in the voice of Smokey the Bear*
You, too, can help make people think for themselves.

Elitism is for the incompassionate, the lazy, and/or the selfish.

--------------------

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Re: Learned [Re: Sclorch]
    #1168691 - 12/24/02 09:51 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

do they want to think for themselves? how much am i supposed to try to help them? :wink: :tongue:

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.

OfflineRemy
Bitches Brew
 User Gallery

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Re: Learned [Re: Strumpling]
    #1168762 - 12/25/02 01:49 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

do they want to think for themselves? how much am i supposed to try to help them?

No, so what we need to do if we are to create change is to teach them to want to think for themselves, and then they will  :wink:

OfflineRemy
Bitches Brew
 User Gallery

Loc: Atlanta, GA
    #1168764 - 12/25/02 01:52 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

The point that represents my journey to becoming an adult occured when I discovered what Zen meant. This occured between last saturday and sunday (in the form of a bad acid trip, which turned into an ego shattering experience), which was EXACTLY one half of a year after my sixteenth birthday. It was my anti-birthday, so to speak, and it represents a changed me, to me. Coincidently this happens to be the year 2002, a number/year which represents balance, and it is the year I finally achieved balance in my life.

Edited by Remy (12/25/02 02:01 AM)

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Re: Learned [Re: Remy]
    #1169063 - 12/25/02 05:50 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

do they want to want to think for themselves? how much am i supposed to try to help them?

--------------------

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Learned [Re: Remy]
    #1169181 - 12/25/02 06:59 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Remy: No, so what we need to do if we are to create change is to teach them to want to think for themselves, and then they will

Bingo.
There will still be people who won't think for themselves, but encouragement of individualism will definitely bring the sleepers out. Thus, the power will be taken from the mob and given back to the people.

--------------------

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Re: Learned [Re: Strumpling]
    #1169204 - 12/25/02 07:10 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

enough so it feels right i guess. i dont think you can really put a number on it.

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Re: Learned [Re: highwayman]
    #1169239 - 12/25/02 07:26 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Nice post Highwayman

I went through a very lonely and fearful time in highschool, I felt like a complete freak alienated from the rest of humanity. Something was just WRONG with me. I wasn't the same. Eventually when I started doing acid I fell into a hole of thinking that it wasn't me, it was EVERYONE ELSE, yea, they were the problem. Everyone is SOULESS and doesn't see the truth like i do! I held this grudge for years... It was a really fucked up time in my life filled with both depression and euphoria. Like your black clothes thing, I threw up my mental flag as trying to convince myself I was elite in some way. I guess inside a voice was calling out to me that this was not the way to go, and it was like some sort of epic battle to lose the grudge, heheh. It makes you feel comfortable and safe for short periods of time, but in the long run it is just dragging you away from your full potential as a human.

Im sure EVERYONE on this board has gone(or is going) through this struggle and realizes its not an easy thing to come to terms with, and maybe we should try and show a little more patience.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#1169585 - 12/25/02 10:50 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I fell into a hole of thinking that it wasn't me, it was EVERYONE ELSE

Someday soon, you will start KNOWING it was everyone else.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Learned [Re: dee_N_ae]
    #1169589 - 12/25/02 10:54 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I've learned that death is not something one should be afraid of.

Really? Please explain. Are you talking philosophically or in reality? Are you saying that it is not possible for someone to terrify you and make you beg for your mommy given the proper physical / psychological stimulus? I would wager strongly against that position.

--------------------

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Re: Learned [Re: Swami]
    #1169644 - 12/25/02 11:45 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

For me, death in itself is not a frightening thought.

It is the manner in which the death would occur that might be a little scary...

If I were going to die a natural death of some disease, I would accept it without fear.  Or if it were going to be a relatively quick and painless death, like a gunshot wound to the head, for example; I would have no fear. 

But if someone was going to gouge my eyeballs out with a screwdriver, drive nails into my skull with a hammer, and cut my penis off with a pair of shearing clippers; I might be inclined to beg for my mommy.

I would probably be inclined to piss and shit myself as well!  :blush:

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck