Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

North Spore Shop: Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Quick Question About Sterilization
    #1162275 -

As I posted a few days ago I was intending to use regular pots to sterilize my jars - which I did - but I have a question... I set the jars in two large pots and one smaller pot (4 jars per large pot and 2 in the small pot) on top of towels. I then proceeded to set the stove on a fairly high setting until boiling started, at which point I reduced the temperature to allow it to boil without getting in the jars. About 55 minutes after boiling started I checked all three pots and found the water level to be dangerously low and had to resort to adding more water. After this I continued boiling for another 30 minutes.

1. Will interrupting the boiling as such give bacteria a better chance at survival?
2. Does the amount of water loss indicate that the jars were not steamed well enough (lids not tight enough)?

All answers are appreciated. At this point it is obviously too late to resterilize as I have already inoculated, but I'm always more than happy to increase my knowledge base on this subject matter.


--------------------
Like a fiend in a cloud
With howling woe,
After night I do croud
And with night will go;
I turn my back to the east,
From whence comforts have increas'd;
For light doth seize my brain
With frantic pain.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Quick Question About Sterilization [Re: Nirvhead]
    #1162279 -

I don't see any problem besides the fact that you boiled for somewhere around 90 minutes. You might have over sterilized.


--------------------
Did they get you to trade, your heroes for ghosts? Hot ashes for trees? Hot air for a cool breeze? Cold comfort for change? And did you exchange, a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in the cage?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Quick Question About Sterilization [Re: motatraehrehtom]
    #1162304 -

Yeah, 90 minutes is a bit long and might dry out the jars.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Quick Question About Sterilization [Re: motatraehrehtom]
    #1162318 -

Well, after having to give up my idea of a super-professional first-time setup (due to money) I think I may have overcompensated a bit, as if my jars would find it a personal affront that I didn't buy a brand new pressure cooker for them. :tongue: I'd still rather over-sterilize than under-sterilize if I'm going to do either. In any case, I observed neither jars that had collected extra water from drip-off nor any jars that looked too dry. I like to think I have a great eye (hell I do!), but I suppose "eye-ing" a jar isn't going to be completely accurate.


--------------------
Like a fiend in a cloud
With howling woe,
After night I do croud
And with night will go;
I turn my back to the east,
From whence comforts have increas'd;
For light doth seize my brain
With frantic pain.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Quick Question About Sterilization [Re: Nirvhead]
    #1162367 -

You should be fine. I have gone to using a large pot with a pasta strainer that sits inside. I keep the water just above the bottom and after it boils I put the stove a little above simmer. I hope my jars are not offended that I don't have a PC, but after 2 batches they seem fine.


--------------------
No, I do not think I am above the law.  There are times; inspired and enraptured that I feel I am BEYOND the law.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Quick Question About Sterilization [Re: Fuman]
    #1162440 -

When I sterilized I went for about 80 minutes....no biggy.


--------------------
The proper penalty of ignorance, which is of course that those who don't know should learn from those who do... - Plato

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

North Spore Shop: Injection Grain Bag


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* New to the boards, and a quick question to start ! Anonymous 1,829 4 03/11/02 01:18 AM
by 2shrewmen
* Question sterilization questions! phrozendata 947 3 09/17/01 08:21 PM
by oscill8
* quick question about rye jars Chemical_Smile 1,669 6 07/19/17 12:01 AM
by pyro101981
* A QUICK QUESTION....NEED FAST REPLY PLZ MushroomBoy123 1,298 10 05/23/02 09:33 PM
by MushroomBoy123
* Quick question concerning sterilization the corporation 845 1 07/01/01 08:03 PM
by zetek
* Quick Question, quick answer please Close Call 621 1 10/06/02 10:18 AM
by rheidiohed121
* Quick question about quart/pint jars liquidplaya 2,862 18 09/20/01 06:03 PM
by darkfly
* Please help w/3 quick questions Chemical_Smile 1,321 9 10/13/01 01:16 PM
by CACA

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
844 topic views. 19 members, 99 guests and 135 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.022 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 14 queries.