Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |  [ show all ]
Re: Rational Logic & Infinity [Re: RationalEgo]
    #11452733 -

RationalEgo said:
I investigated soley based on the statements you have made here that are testament to your beliefs.





I don't have beleifs in this stuff, you seem to though...even if its disbeleif
I simply observe it all, i observe the totality, you observe parts

Smitty, this is totally logical & rational, its just on a deeper level than the current humanmind is operating on
Its more intimate logic than dealing with worldly objects, its dealing with the subject, the fundamental energy that animates all objects

Instead of using the mind to investigate objects, its using the mind to investigate itself, which is most rational
Start at the root...

Smitty gets what im getting at, this whole thread was for him







--------------------

Edited by Chronic7 (11/14/09 09:27 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Rational Logic & Infinity [Re: Chronic7]
    #11452913 -

Chronic777 said:
To your mind...




The mind is what we use to investigate reality. Outside of this investigation we don't know shit.


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Rational Logic & Infinity [Re: Icelander]
    #11453750 -

Chronic777 said:
Energy is never created nor destroyed, it is all there is, all there ever will be
So i am that energy



You are a temporary manifestation of an energy process.  That energy process will disintegrate eventually when your body and brain cease functioning; even though energy is never created or destroyed it can certainly change forms and this changing is what will bring your consciousness to a halt.


--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Rational Logic & Infinity [Re: Chronic7]
    #11453880 -

Chronic777 said:
I don't have beleifs in this stuff, you seem to though...even if its disbeleif
I simply observe it all, i observe the totality, you observe parts




You do have beliefs, one being the insane belief that you are somehow privy to the totality of existence. :rolleyes:

Quote:
Smitty, this is totally logical & rational, its just on a deeper level than the current humanmind is operating on




I see, so you are operating on a 'deeper' level than current human minds? I bow to your superiority oh wise one......:rolleyes:


Quote:
Its more intimate logic than dealing with worldly objects, its dealing with the subject, the fundamental energy that animates all objects





There is no logic in anything you have said thus far. What 'other worldly' objects are you somehow privy to? How is it exactly that you have directly grasped this 'fundamental energies' that remain so elusive to us mere mortals? I can tell you one thing, it certainly was not using reason and logic to investigate reality.

Quote:
Instead of using the mind to investigate objects, its using the mind to investigate itself, which is most rational
Start at the root...





If you are so capable of introspection, then how is it that you have managed to evade your own dishonesty so much in this thread? There is nothing rational in any of your unfounded assertions.

Quote:
Smitty gets what im getting at, this whole thread was for him






Well, I hope Smitty takes a good look at this thread and investigates and examines things for himself. He might even come to the same conclusions that I have.

Edited by RationalEgo (11/14/09 02:18 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Rational Logic & Infinity [Re: deCypher]
    #11453900 -

deCypher said:
Chronic777 said:
Energy is never created nor destroyed, it is all there is, all there ever will be
So i am that energy



You are a temporary manifestation of an energy process.  That energy process will disintegrate eventually when your body and brain cease functioning; even though energy is never created or destroyed it can certainly change forms and this changing is what will bring your consciousness to a halt.



:thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Rational Logic & Infinity [Re: RationalEgo]
    #11454014 -

i believe that the feeling of infinity and similar stuff that shamans sages and other ppl have experienced is just the body noticing the fact that I do not exist infinity is very similar to nothing a lot of ppl through spiritual practises and books out these days think they figured out that i am nothing and everything at the same time this is the aspiring nondualist or buddhist and many others to me it seems more logical to conclude that i am neither nothing or everything the concept of i itself is a simply a concept and therefore can not be true
it can be true in a manner of speaking in and of itself but it is only true because it is believed if a person was taught as rigorously that they were a wolf they would believe it many cases of this have been recorded you are a human or you are a wolf theyre both fiction the truth is beyond conception humans exist animals exist even that is wrong but closer to true I am not a human cuz there is no i


--------------------
Thinking is dreaming wake up and enjoy the dream.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Rational Logic & Infinity [Re: zoomfan]
    #11454480 -

Ever heard of sentence structure?


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Rational Logic & Infinity [Re: Icelander]
    #11457076 -

I like how we always seem to center around this abstract substratum of "energy" in topics like this, though conversationally I think it becomes pretty necessary to have a word place holding for something that is in reality not a nice little noun or subject. It seems that communication and words have this in their nature and this is the nature of our discourse. Nevertheless, it seems things seem to infinitely regress. Democritus and his atom diluted into subatomic, then that even more... physics is very interesting and I would love to see some of the physics nerds to comment. But anyway, due to the nature of conversation and prose, I think Heraclitus got is more on the money... when we ponder most eagerly what the fuck is going on it seems like reality is... reality is a fire, always influx, transforming, becoming, and changing.

An objective yard stick for reality in regards to substance seems silly to me, not to mention this is all a bunch of blah blah for most any inquisitive minds. There is nothing rapturous for we all too conscious mortals except what we call death. Though just as mysterious is our ego's formation and becoming in the world (and thus is eventual fading out) so too is the genesis (or maybe becoming, though were does temporality regress?!) of the mysterious nature surrounding us (and we are too a part) of what we "tap into"

And I think there isnt anything lying in wait for we humans, nothing will set us free during our lives or future human lives, death is our only respite but I see a lot of happen stance beauty and wisdom in reality as we know it and I am down with at least the concept of a god in the likes of Spinoza... albeit a force of incomprehensible insanity and bruteness :wink:

My god is the most wickedly insane drunk asshole who just said 'fuck it' and here we are, and when we try hard all we get is weird paradoxes or restrained curiousity with friends such as rationality and the good and self amiable as guises to supply an artistry pro-sanity - ahhhh but sanity? Hmmmm, whos got the artistry to even say fuck it to that now? :lol:

:gethigh:


--------------------
Jesus loves you.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Rational Logic & Infinity [Re: andrewss]
    #11458491 -

andrewss said:
An objective yard stick for reality in regards to substance seems silly to me, not to mention this is all a bunch of blah blah for most any inquisitive minds



Right, go tell that to the scientists. They may as well stop all their work right now.  :rolleyes:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Rational Logic & Infinity [Re: RationalEgo]
    #11458528 -

I think ya missed my "point"


--------------------
Jesus loves you.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Rational Logic & Infinity [Re: andrewss]
    #11458614 -

andrewss said:
I like how we always seem to center around this abstract substratum of "energy" in topics like this, though conversationally I think it becomes pretty necessary to have a word place holding for something that is in reality not a nice little noun or subject. It seems that communication and words have this in their nature and this is the nature of our discourse. Nevertheless, it seems things seem to infinitely regress. Democritus and his atom diluted into subatomic, then that even more... physics is very interesting and I would love to see some of the physics nerds to comment. But anyway, due to the nature of conversation and prose, I think Heraclitus got is more on the money... when we ponder most eagerly what the fuck is going on it seems like reality is... reality is a fire, always influx, transforming, becoming, and changing.



According to current quantum physics, things do not infinitely regress, there is a quanta for every form of energy which cannot be broken down further (photon, electron, proton, nuetron, subatomic particles).  Energy describes perfectly the idea in this thread, that there is something in reality that never goes away, but as you said, acts like a fire, always in flux.  If you don't want to use the word energy that's fine, but it just so happens that energy is the word that scientists have defined to describe this very thing.  Nevertheless, interesting ideas.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Rational Logic & Infinity [Re: andrewss]
    #11458717 -

Quote:
I like how we always seem to center around this abstract substratum of "energy" in topics like this, though conversationally I think it becomes pretty necessary to have a word place holding for something that is in reality not a nice little noun or subject. It seems that communication and words have this in their nature and this is the nature of our discourse. Nevertheless, it seems things seem to infinitely regress. Democritus and his atom diluted into subatomic, then that even more... physics is very interesting and I would love to see some of the physics nerds to comment. But anyway, due to the nature of conversation and prose, I think Heraclitus got is more on the money... when we ponder most eagerly what the fuck is going on it seems like reality is... reality is a fire, always influx, transforming, becoming, and changing.

An objective yard stick for reality in regards to substance seems silly to me, not to mention this is all a bunch of blah blah for most any inquisitive minds. There is nothing rapturous for we all too conscious mortals except what we call death. Though just as mysterious is our ego's formation and becoming in the world (and thus is eventual fading out) so too is the genesis (or maybe becoming, though were does temporally regress?!) of the mysterious nature surrounding us (and we are too a part) of what we "tap into"

And I think there isn't anything lying in wait for we humans, nothing will set us free during our lives or future human lives, death is our only respite but I see a lot of happen stance beauty and wisdom in reality as we know it and I am down with at least the concept of a god in the likes of Spinoza... albeit a force of incomprehensible insanity and bruteness :wink:

My god is the most wickedly insane drunk asshole who just said 'fuck it' and here we are, and when we try hard all we get is weird paradoxes or restrained curiousity with friends such as rationality and the good and self amiable as guises to supply an artistry pro-sanity - ahhhh but sanity? Hmmmm, whos got the artistry to even say fuck it though



Right right right.

Life as we can actually perceive it is a mystery enough considering what we don't know but a mystery hardly equates to mystical. And that is all the purpose this kind of thread serves, is to educate people to that difference. So we don't have to go around for the rest of our meager lives hooked into unhealthy and unskillful superstitions that create continuing havoc for our race.


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Rational Logic & Infinity [Re: Smitington]
    #11458992 -

Quote:
According to current quantum physics, things do not infinitely regress, there is a quanta for every form of energy which cannot be broken down further (photon, electron, proton, nuetron, subatomic particles). 



What about morons? Are there also tiny packets of stoopidity?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Rational Logic & Infinity [Re: andrewss]
    #11459163 -

andrewss said:
And I think there isnt anything lying in wait for we humans, nothing will set us free during our lives or future human lives, death is our only respite.




I have seen nothing but a defeatist attitude take precedent in all of your posts, especially those mocking rationality and reason.

Rationality is demonstrated throughout human history to be a high virtue, so when you mock rationality (as you have done several times since I came here, and probably before) and have a defeatist attitude towards life, know that those two are closely related.

If you base life on a standard of suffering and death then there is no basis for achieving happiness in ones life.

Life should be judged on its own standard.

Edited by RationalEgo (11/15/09 10:48 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Rational Logic & Infinity [Re: RationalEgo]
    #11461949 -

Icelander said:
So we don't have to go around for the rest of our meager lives hooked into unhealthy and unskillful superstitions that create continuing havoc for our race.



Not sure I totally agree with that point, well I mean with more explanation to it I could but yeah, I guess it depends on the nature of the superstition.




RationalEgo said:
andrewss said:
And I think there isnt anything lying in wait for we humans, nothing will set us free during our lives or future human lives, death is our only respite.




I have seen nothing but a defeatist attitude take precedent in all of your posts, especially those mocking rationality and reason.



Nice, this reaction pleases me. But I spend time "mocking" things I have a certain degree of respect for... its not like I actually disdain wholly what rationality and reason might mean. I just see aspects in pretty much everything that could use a little jesting!

RationalEgo said:
Rationality is demonstrated throughout human history to be a high virtue, so when you mock rationality (as you have done several times since I came here, and probably before) and have a defeatist attitude towards life, know that those two are closely related.



Haha! I never denied "rationality" as a good virtue! How is this necessarily a so called defeatist attitude towards life? Whatever.

RationalEgo said:
If you base life on a standard of suffering and death then there is no basis for achieving happiness in ones life.

Life should be judged on its own standard.



Right... what is this talk of "judging life on its own standard"

YAWN... I can be happy, and I can be sad... I sometimes feel depressed and sometimes not. Happiness is hard to define. I have often wondered, in a psychological sense, that there is an ever increasing gap in many peoples lives; in modern societies, and it often needs to be fulfilled or drowned. I imagine that much of our mental power, historically, (and one can assume this task is greater in that sense given the late flourishing of man in general) was discharged - and happily at home with the work of finding food, feeding the family, keeping safe, staking a territory, etc... it seems the "busy body" is born out of big society luxury and it is nice to see how we have run with what could be called our big gaping opportunity. We get advances in our sciences, arts, etc... We perfect what we call good. But at bottom there is this sense of a need for progress these days, which is good and it seems our modern (developed) sense of happiness is quite a different beast than the older primal delight. And I would even go so far to say that it seems we have a new talking point, a new avenue to get a little bit priestly. I myself enjoy much of what I might talk shit on but its basically because I feel the need to rabble rouse a little and maybe its a little childish need to get reactions out of people especially when they are taking something or some process to heart. :shrug: /sorry for that lil ramble


--------------------
Jesus loves you.

Edited by andrewss (11/15/09 06:02 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Rational Logic & Infinity [Re: andrewss]
    #11462116 -


Not sure I totally agree with that point, well I mean with more explanation to it I could but yeah, I guess it depends on the nature of the superstition.


I know what you mean so I'm guessing you know what I mean.:thumbup:


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Rational Logic & Infinity *DELETED* [Re: Icelander]
    #11464966 -

Post deleted by Lakefingers

Reason for deletion: No reason.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Rational Logic & Infinity *DELETED* [Re: RationalEgo]
    #11464984 -

Post deleted by Lakefingers

Reason for deletion: "

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Rational Logic & Infinity [Re: Lakefingers]
    #11464993 -

Lakefingers said:
RationalEgo said:
andrewss said:
And I think there isnt anything lying in wait for we humans, nothing will set us free during our lives or future human lives, death is our only respite.




I have seen nothing but a defeatist attitude take precedent in all of your posts, especially those mocking rationality and reason.

Rationality is demonstrated throughout human history to be a high virtue, so when you mock rationality (as you have done several times since I came here, and probably before) and have a defeatist attitude towards life, know that those two are closely related.
If you base life on a standard of suffering and death then there is no basis for achieving happiness in ones life.

Life should be judged on its own standard.



What standard is that? Are suffering and death not fundamental, or at least part of life, and if that is true, shouldn't you partially concede to what you say his assessment is?



Life is the standard by which all values have meaning. Life IS the standard. Suffering and death are not standards by which one can judge values. I do not partially concede at all to his assessment.

BTW congrats on your modship. :thumbup:

Edited by RationalEgo (11/16/09 02:27 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Rational Logic & Infinity [Re: RationalEgo]
    #11464998 -

what about love?

god?

meaning?

the concept is pretty drawn out.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Zero and Infinity
( 1 2 all )
Kid 5,309 26 09/02/01 10:38 PM
by feign
* Thoughts on Infinity
( 1 2 all )
tox 3,884 23 09/04/01 09:03 AM
by tox
* Human Logic, Linguistics and The Mushroom ParabolaChair 3,313 6 04/29/04 05:59 AM
by fireworks_god
* rationality
( 1 2 all )
BleaK 3,039 28 03/18/06 12:17 AM
by BlueCoyote
* Infinity........ Ride the spiral to the end.... Shroom Gecko 1,443 8 11/02/01 11:00 AM
by gluke bastid
* Enough with the logic threads!
( 1 2 all )
Xlea321 3,115 26 04/27/02 08:36 AM
by Tannis
* How can the universe not be infinate?
( 1 2 3 all )
Dreamer987 3,508 43 10/25/04 04:14 PM
by kbilly
* Fuck logic, logic is barren and desolate
( 1 2 all )
Lightningfractal 2,041 23 01/20/05 10:10 AM
by redgreenvines

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
4,284 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 15 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.031 seconds spending 0.01 seconds on 18 queries.