Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

Loc: Heaven and Hell
Fuck logic, logic is barren and desolate
    #3649558 - 01/19/05 05:12 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Life is illogical, and so is god...

....but that's because we simply lack the understanding

--------------------
Hi how's it going, wanna kick Heroin basically painlessly on your own, in your own house, without any government "help" ,or the "help" of a crazy condescending, judgmental medical doctor? Read this:

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=42&Number=7342616&page=0&fpart=all

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineincubaby_421
half naked andfull witted
 User Gallery

Loc: the center of the univers...
Re: Fuck logic, logic is barren and desolate [Re: Lightningfractal]
    #3649563 - 01/19/05 05:14 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

but somehow possess the ability to give a shit.

--------------------
"yet the more i dig, the more i consume, the more i unfold... the less protected i feel.
i am the spit on the hair of the son of an electron, swimming around the nucleus of a cell inside the sperm of a killer bee, and my purpose is as nebulous as why weve been bestowed with the capacity to give a shit" Brandon Boyd

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: Fuck logic, logic is barren and desolate [Re: incubaby_421]
    #3649607 - 01/19/05 05:24 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

life is just logical, that's how logical, logic really is :wink:

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Offlineskystone
stop the motion
Loc: state,country,etc.
    #3649645 - 01/19/05 05:30 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Lightningfractal said:
Life is illogical, and so is god...

....but that's because we simply lack the understanding

Life is not illogical, everything follows perfect logic.
It's just that those who do not know or understand the premises don't see logic in it.

--------------------
"..and suddenly it began to rain"

Offlinefresh313
journeyman
 User Gallery

Re: Fuck logic, logic is barren and desolate [Re: skystone]
    #3649752 - 01/19/05 05:52 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

skystone said:
Life is not illogical, everything follows perfect logic.
It's just that those who do not know or understand the premises don't see logic in it.

exactly
maybe some things werent meant for us to know
and we should accept that instead of making up stories so we can act like we are all knowing

Offlineskystone
stop the motion
Loc: state,country,etc.
Re: Fuck logic, logic is barren and desolate [Re: fresh313]
    #3649843 - 01/19/05 06:09 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

well, even though we can not be allknowing, we can always come close to having some general ideas about things. So I think we should search for those missing premises...

Instead of doing that, I think we are mostly denieing the conclusions just because we can't see the premises, or we are saying stupid stuff like "god works in misterious ways", which is basically saying that things have no logic.

--------------------
"..and suddenly it began to rain"

OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
    #3649969 - 01/19/05 06:37 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I don't see any evidence to support your claim. All I find is emotionally charged words; thats not enough to convince me.

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

Re: Fuck logic, logic is barren and desolate [Re: TheShroomHermit]
    #3650277 - 01/19/05 07:31 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

The evidence that you seek should be sought by you in your daily observations of life, not on your computer screen in this thread. The claim that I'm making is verified through seeking the truth.

--------------------
Hi how's it going, wanna kick Heroin basically painlessly on your own, in your own house, without any government "help" ,or the "help" of a crazy condescending, judgmental medical doctor? Read this:

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=42&Number=7342616&page=0&fpart=all

OfflineTheShroomHermit
 User Gallery

#3650409 - 01/19/05 08:00 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

You claim that the truth is self evident, is this your way of making those who would disagree feel dumb? Logic is a useful tool when determining if something is real, actual, or fact. You suggest that we should abandon logic, and make truth whatever we imagine up.

That is no truth.

Offlinefresh313
journeyman
 User Gallery

Re: Fuck logic, logic is barren and desolate [Re: skystone]
    #3650431 - 01/19/05 08:07 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

skystone said:
well, even though we can not be allknowing, we can always come close to having some general ideas about things. So I think we should search for those missing premises...

Instead of doing that, I think we are mostly denieing the conclusions just because we can't see the premises, or we are saying stupid stuff like "god works in misterious ways", which is basically saying that things have no logic.

sorry, i was referring to religion not spirituality or philosophy : )

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
Loc: Australia
    #3650440 - 01/19/05 08:10 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

logical = illogical?

--------------------
suicide a permanent solution to a temporary problem

Offlinesoulmotion
Professor
 User Gallery

Loc: Jumanji
Re: Fuck logic, logic is barren and desolate [Re: spudamore]
    #3650923 - 01/19/05 10:11 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Here's a thought,

'illogical' is synonymous with 'irrational' right? Irrational' is synonymous with 'incomprehensible', therefore, you could consider 'illogical' to be similar in meaning to 'incomprehensible'.

Although we can intuitively comprehend 'eternity', we can not rationally comprehend 'eternity'.

Some words have a specific, quantifiable, concrete definition, e.g. 'mushroom'. Everyone knows what a mushroom is, and when the word 'mushroom' is mentioned, it is a refference to a tangible object; whereas, in the case of an abstract concept like 'infinity', the word 'infinity' itself is a refference to an idea.

In most all religions, God is described as being 'infinite' and 'perfect' ect. ect. So the only words we have to describe God are absolutes, which, by nature, are incomprehensible, irrational. So you're correct, God (or at least our understanding of God) is not rational or logical.

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
Re: Fuck logic, logic is barren and desolate [Re: soulmotion]
    #3651012 - 01/19/05 10:34 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

all concepts are illogical? how do you know if thought is real? or the things that you see or experience? or is logical reasoning only suitable to our current state of living? if so what other logical reasoning to we have to pit up against to know that our own logical reasoning is correct? from history? what we are taught? scienctific evidence? person experience? our own thoughts? how do you know any of these are correct?

--------------------

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

#3651032 - 01/19/05 10:37 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

TheShroomHermit said:
You claim that the truth is self evident, is this your way of making those who would disagree feel dumb? Logic is a useful tool when determining if something is real, actual, or fact. You suggest that we should abandon logic, and make truth whatever we imagine up.

That is no truth.

Logic is a framework of the proccessing of stimulus done by the human mind. Therefore it is inherrently limited as such by the mind which is doing the processing.

It works O.K. for solving problems and complexities which relate to the human experience that WE created, such as for planning for evolving traffic patterns at buzy intersections and such...

...But it fails utterly at life. You cannot logically define what the whole fucking meaning of life is. If so, go ahead, I wanna hear it.

Things such as the meaning of life and the like are only reached through application of the spark of devine intelligence which resides in us all, and then only in a greatly limited way. Limited by the flesh and blood nature of the human mind itself.

If you don't see this now, you surely will once you shed your flesh and blood body.

--------------------

OfflineTheShroomHermit
 User Gallery

#3651038 - 01/19/05 10:38 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I'd start myself off on duplicable results and work myself up from there.

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
    #3651059 - 01/19/05 10:42 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

But it fails utterly at life. You cannot logically define what the whole fucking meaning of life is. If so, go ahead, I wanna hear it.

the only logical thing to do is not to try and comphrend?

--------------------

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

#3651112 - 01/19/05 10:53 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

well, since we are alive, it makes both logical and any other kind of sense that we want to understand it completely

--------------------

OfflineTheShroomHermit
 User Gallery

#3651188 - 01/19/05 11:09 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

>You cannot logically define what the whole fucking meaning of life is. If so, go ahead, I wanna hear it.
-You are challenging me to define the meaning of life in order to support my opinion? This sounds like the words of a person who hasn't even found his purpose in life.

You phrase everything as if you have all the answers, but all you have are beliefs. You ask for people to look inwards for answers, yet people see what they want to see. In an experiment, the subjects expectation of the results threaten the outcome of an experiment so much so that it is necessary to create an entire extra group. This control group will be administered placebos just to make sure the experimental groups results weren't a result of the subjects expectations.

Yet you ask that people abandon logic and seek subjective truth. It is irresponsible to not consider that meaning is but a question to which your own mind has created.

Offlinesoulmotion
Professor
 User Gallery

Loc: Jumanji
    #3651257 - 01/19/05 11:27 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Logic is like scaffolding: it allows us to build a framework around a certain subject so we can access it, and interface it. Or, if you will, Logic is like graphpaper which we use to connect the points of a curvacious and parabolic world.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #3651530 - 01/20/05 12:37 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

...But it fails utterly at life. You cannot logically define what the whole fucking meaning of life is. If so, go ahead, I wanna hear it.

You can't do that with faith either. You can maybe convince yourself to believe that X is the meaning of life, but from what I've seen, people can convince themselves of pretty much anything, and it doesn't make them any more insightful, or a better human being.

We can find happiness and satisfaction though, and that makes some kind of sense.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Re: [Re: spudamore]
    #3651710 - 01/20/05 01:40 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

>> logical = illogical?

Bingo.

The problem we're having in this thread has to do with how we are conditioned to associate faith with irrationality and foolishness, and logic with wisdom and admirability. Lightning Fractal seems to be resisting that conditioning with a bit of fervor, while the rest of us are arguing over semantics. The reason we see faith as something irrational has to do with how we look at it through only one lense. The reason we cannot see the faults in logic is the same. We need to understand that faith is not inherently illogical, and that logic is not inherently wise and admirable.

Instead of focusing on the differences between faith and logic and deciding which one is better than the other, why not focus on their similarities? Instead of discriminating between the two, why not instead unify them?

There are two kinds of logic, and two kinds of faith. There is the logic that is closed to ideas which are not immediately logical, and there is logic which applies rigourous rational process to help ensure that truth is pure. There is the faith which feverently hopes that what one presently understands is what turns out to be true, and there is the faith that wishes with utmost sincereity to discover what in fact is true, no matter what that may turn out to be.

The kind of logic that is closed to ideas which are not immediately logical has common threads with the kind of faith that has already decided what's true and is resistent to evidence to the contrary. This kind of logic is not helpful. This kind of faith is not helpful either. They tend to leave us volnerable to emotional and intellectual stagnation. It is cowardice.

The kind of logic that is adherent to rational process guides a person toward the truth they wish to seek. Inherent in this kind of logic is a heart-felt desire to uncover the truth, to suspend one's own judgements in favour of uncovering what actually is. The kind of faith that wishes to find the truth no matter what that may turn out to be has common threads with this kind of logic. Both of them place higher priority on discovery than on stability and security. This kind of logic is very helpful. This kind of faith is also very helpful. Either of these propell us swiftly, with integrity, and with honesty.

So we can see here that both faith and logic have the potential to be irrational. They both also have the potential to be wise and admirable. Once we have dropped our prejudice, we can look at this matter more objectively.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
Re: [Re: Ped]
    #3651975 - 01/20/05 02:33 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

thanks for posting that ped that was a great read i hope others get a chance to try and understand that aswell.
you touched on so many points and this is the one i liked the most.

The kind of logic that is closed to ideas which are not immediately logical has common threads with the kind of faith that has already decided what's true and is resistent to evidence to the contrary. This kind of logic is not helpful. This kind of faith is not helpful either. They tend to leave us volnerable to emotional and intellectual stagnation. It is cowardice.

cheers

--------------------

InvisibleBuddahKillah
U WANTFITE!?!?!?!?!?!

#3652995 - 01/20/05 09:49 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Lightningfractal said:
Quote:

TheShroomHermit said:

That is no truth.

Logic is a framework of the proccessing of stimulus done by the human mind. Therefore it is inherrently limited as such by the mind which is doing the processing.

It works O.K. for solving problems and complexities which relate to the human experience that WE created, such as for planning for evolving traffic patterns at buzy intersections and such...

Things such as the meaning of life and the like are only reached through application of the spark of devine intelligence which resides in us all, and then only in a greatly limited way. Limited by the flesh and blood nature of the human mind itself.

If you don't see this now, you surely will once you shed your flesh and blood body.

You are using logic here. Do you not see the contradiction?

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

for the sake of some subtle penny dropping [Re: BuddahKillah]
    #3653056 - 01/20/05 10:10 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

ok ok ok
but
what if you see something
and you just know one of these other illogical people are going to enjoy it,
so you need to explain it,
and maybe engage just a little bit of logic so that they just might have the right disposition, (a logical reaction context - just for kicks you know nothing too serious)
just in case the penny drops - that it might drop in a good place.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract