Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
Re: anxiety causes depression too [Re: st0ney]
    #1060970 - 11/17/02 09:21 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

You're correct that the therapist should have been upfront with your friend from the beginning. I always tell kids that the game rules include 'duty to warn' in the event of suicidal/ homicidal ideation, or if I'm told of physical/sexual abuse. I'm responsible, and I'm not going to be responsible for not intervening, nor am I gonna lose my job, my licenses, get sued or get jail time for not acting ethically and legally.

You're obviously angry, and that prevents you from healthy functioning, which includes caring about others. Back to my first response - hypnotherapy. It works well in many cases of social phobia with attending panic attacks. I gave you the web address for locating practitioners in your area. If you don't want help with this debilitating disorder, then don't get help. In fact, while you're in this frame of mind, consider drilling your own teeth and filling your own cavities; operating on yourself; buying non-prescription eyeglasses off the rack; and even cutting your own hair. Receiving help from people with skills you don't possess makes you feel "bad?" First deal with your presenting problem - anxiety disorder - and then perhaps someone can help you with that self-esteem issue. At your age you best take a little free advice when someone qualified takes the time to offer it to you.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Loc: Portland, OR
Re: anxiety causes depression too [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #1069673 - 11/20/02 11:51 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

The CSNY post struck me with parental overtones, or perhaps that's because my mother is a psychotherapist on a psychiatric ward at a hospital and shares similar views. Good grief, I agree with the things you're saying, but in turn, I'd offer these Grateful Dead lyrics:

Reach out your hand if your cup be empty
If your cup is full may it be again
Let it be known there is a fountain
That was not made by the hands of men

Shared the full moon last night amongst many friends in a beautiful place in the country. Barefooted, wild-hair, sarong, singing, howling like wolves, dancing, swigging wine, spitting, jumping, running, falling down laughing, climbing trees, playing guitar, making up songs, a couple microdots of LSD (the first in a YEAR & 1/2!), gathering firewood, planning a protest on mining in Dysart Woods... and on and on and on.

How about the Beatles 'A Day in the Life' - I'd love to tuuuuuurnn yooooouu onnnnnn!

Not in opposition to your comments, just that... where i see padma, i'd like to compliment with siddhi: soft, compassionate, flower-power, Goddess.

--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
Re: anxiety causes depression too [Re: CosmicJoke]
    #1075162 - 11/21/02 09:15 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

C.J. -
Let me suggest a visit to the nearest dive shop. There, you can find a nylon dive belt, and 3 or 4 lead weights to slide onto that belt.

Parental overtones? I'm 49 years old, a Ph.D. psychotherapist with 20 years of experience in mental health and addictions counseling, who is talking to a teenager. Tack 27 years onto your lifespan - 20 of which is involved in work like your mother's or mine - and see if you can remain 22 years old permanently - or want to! I'm youthful where it matters to be youthful, but I'm not a 'puer aeternus.' Neither am I an old 'senex,' but I have acquired a modicum of wisdom which I am attempting to impart, with difficulty, via this medium. When mental demons attack, it does no good to pelt them with flowers. Unconditional positive regard is foundational, but Knowledge is imperative in order for a positive outcome. Psychotherapist is a psychopomp, after the god Hermes-Mercury. A soul-guide and shamen with all the necessary weapons at one's disposal.

Childhood's End happened long ago for me. I live more in a post-Robert Bly mindset. Maturity in the guise of mysteriously enduring youthful appearance. Body building and Yoga shorn of narcissistic cloak - practical health and beauty of a Whitmanesque flavor. Sword of Discriminating Wisdom shears through the attachments to former selves. 30 years of Acid-fueled intensity distilled down in preparation of the inevitable Great Mystery to come. No longer a milk-fed vegan meditator, but a partaker of meat and red wine - the Absolute, a White Light Singularity in my Heart - He Art - sitting, standing, moving, awake or asleep - He Art. Revelry in the outer, long past, I kneel before the Inner Holy of Holies, and attempt to impart the Truth I see, so that it makes others whole. Capiche?

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: anxiety causes depression too [Re: ]
    #1075337 - 11/21/02 10:33 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

"Just pick up and go! Everything will be alright, how dare you feel bad for yourself; look that boy has cancer! Now don't you feel stupid! HUH!? Yea, stupid, you sit crying over your pain while that poor pitiful soul is dealing with cancer... You should be ashamed of yourself, what right do you have to feel bad? NO one should feel bad, if you do you should fix it now, you lazy bastard."

I wish it was that easy to change someone who is depressed, but I think it's part of puberty. They don't really have any control, it just kind of happens. Then, in most cases, they get older and grow out of it.

I think you have be both happy and disillusioned. I see a lot of things I don't like about the world. I think most of them will stay the same, never really go away. I'm still happy. I have fun, I've got people I love, and people who love me around. Life is pretty damn good.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds