Home | Community | Message Board

MycologyNow.com Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
Offlinechupucabras
Stranger
Loc: South Wales
Re: Smarter u r, more likely u r to get Depressed... [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #3604414 - 01/10/05 01:34 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I think perhaps intelligent people get depressed on a different level... I believe I'm quite an intelligent person, and have suffered depression. Anyway, at one point, I visited a site (moodgym i think was the name...) that had a sort of online cognitive behavioural therapy course. I didn't complete the course; although the ways of thinking it points out are clearly useful in combatting depression, and can help you to rationalize your thoughts, it all seemed a bit obvious to me. A lot of the examples and ideas concerned things I'd already figured out by myself; my problem with depression is that although I know these things to be true, I cannot make my mind believe it at times.

Admittedly, I never finished the course, so things could well have got more in-depth, and I'm sure talking to a decent therapist in person would be more effective, however, this can be expensive and/or involve long waiting lists... As for anti-depressants; I was on Paroxetine (Seroxat here[UK], Paxil in the US) for about a year, and it didn't really make a lot of difference. Since coming off that, I've actually been getting better, although this may be due to changes in circumstance as well. Either way, I don't think the depression I had was really bad enough for SSRIs to be worthwhile; I have never seriously considered suicide for example. My mother was depressed a few years ago, to the extent that she could barely function beyond getting me and my brothers into school and cooking for us when we got back, and Prozac helped her, I think those kind of cases are the ones that anti-depressants can really help with...

Anyway, I wouldn't necessarily say there's anything more than a non-causal link between intelligence and depression. One could perhaps argue that the more intelligent you are, the more you experience of both good and bad. Bad just stands out more. My experience would seem to back this up, but yours may be different...

Dan

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinenamesash
Guntotindemonslayer
Re: Smarter u r, more likely u r to get Depressed... [Re: chupucabras]
    #3658703 - 01/21/05 11:15 PM (18 years, 19 days ago)

It's just as easy to be happy as it is to be depressed when you're "smart". Just because you are an intellectual doesn't mean you're smart. Wisdom is key to being happy. Sometimes intellectuals tend to think too much, which is actually stupidity because you're digging yourself a hole.. If you were really smart then you'd stop yourself from overanalyzing things and learn to be blissful and optimistic because these two things lead to happiness. But when it all comes down to it, it's a chemical imbalance in the form of anxiety(thinkin too much) which then causes depression. I do think a lot of depressed people are very intelligent individuals, they just have to learn to be dumb(blissful and optimistic) in order to achieve freedom from their darkest fears and find true happiness. This can be a hard thing to do

--------------------
"Where's your will to be weird?" -jimmy morrison

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Smarter u r, more likely u r to get Depressed... [Re: namesash]
    #3658925 - 01/22/05 12:01 AM (18 years, 19 days ago)

as the fences of thought get higher the little selves running around feel worse and worse.

Offlineincubaby_421 Happy Birthday!
half naked andfull witted
 User Gallery

Loc: the center of the univers...
Re: Smarter u r, more likely u r to get Depressed... [Re: redgreenvines]
    #3659160 - 01/22/05 12:39 AM (18 years, 19 days ago)

i cant say that intelligence directly makes me depressed, indirectly yes, when you can see the truth and you know for a fact that there is nothing you can do to change a somnambulist, zombified society,
that is indeed depressing, when you can see things differently, that is often times depressing, your heart often times ends up carrying the paon of a brain you cant explain.

but i allways know, that i am not, and never will be, one of the walking dead.

--------------------
"yet the more i dig, the more i consume, the more i unfold... the less protected i feel.
i am the spit on the hair of the son of an electron, swimming around the nucleus of a cell inside the sperm of a killer bee, and my purpose is as nebulous as why weve been bestowed with the capacity to give a shit" Brandon Boyd

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order