Quote: First off, tribal Shamans were generally never "self-proclaimed" like most of our modern "New Age" gurus, but were instead picked or chosen by coincidence; for instance, in Siberian shamanic initiation the would-be shaman is granted his position more often spontaneously through a spiritual crisis or by an accident. In some tribal cultures the ability to shamanize is inherited; thus the ability to cure the sick, find out where the game has gone, and locate lost objects was passed to him from the generation beforehand. Generally, shamanic initiation varies subtly from tribe to tribe, and from location to location, but is seldom ever self-chosen; in the least, the shaman is elected by the tribe.
We have trouble understanding shamanism because of our cultural milieu; what appears to us as epilepsy, or worse, schizophrenia, is with the shaman a natural initiatory sickness comprised of a metaphorical death and resurrection. An onlooker may see the would-be shaman as absentminded, hysterical, or as completely mad, but in reality the shaman is undergoing spiritual transformation and divine ecstasy.
The main difference between the shaman and the mentally ill, Eliade points out, is the shamans ability to undergo ecstatic experiences and trance states at will. He discusses the details concerning Siberian and Arctic shamanism and their relationship to mental illness, and sums it up as follows: "Whether they still are or are not subject to real attacks of epilepsy or hysteria, shamans, sorcerers, and medicine men in general cannot be regarded as merely sick; their psychopathic experience has theoretical content".
This theoretical content Eliade speaks of deals with a coherent and complex set of spiritual mythology that focuses on the whole tribe, not just the shaman; helper spirits, gemstones, gods, devils, and worlds are all involved in the practice of shamanism.
That is the best summation i can give for now, but hopefully i can clear up any questions on the phenomenon as we discuss the topic in more depth.
This is addressed to AnxietyDrive, and anyone who is seriously interested in shamanism. I only mention this as a disclaimer, because my use of words is going to be a bit different than my last post, because I don't have to appeal to the viewpoint of absolutes.
So anyways,
Do you think it is necessary to describe it as so much of a cultural phenomenon? I can see why you describe it this way, but this is just a cultural precaution isn't it? That is, it cannot be described to a "typical westerner" in any other way. Its not that I don't appreciate the information; I am just wondering if it is something that necessarily comes with any use of the word. What I am wondering, is it possible to describe shamanism based simply on its function?
Shamanism, as far as I have concerned myself, is just a word of choice to describe what I am doing when I eat mushrooms. As distinguished from the idea of seeing these hallucinations as mere hallucinations, I see them as an image, and possibly useful.
If there was a better word, one that didn't carry the cultural baggage, I would use it. As an existential tool mushrooms can be actively described as psychedelic, but there is no word for what I am doing, no "ism". People have taken it to an extreme, like the church of mushroom, but like all movements, an existential rigor reveals it as a blatant appeal for an "ism". The word to describe this function has already existed for a while though, and it is shamanism.
Why is it necessary to hark back to cultural baggage?
Is it because that was the only time and place where it was socially acceptable? I think this is a large part of it. Isn't it crazy how social conventions actually effect our language? There is no word for what I am doing with mushrooms, but only for the reason that it is not formally accepted by society. This is absurd. At the same time though, this might be understood as the most upstanding existential integrity.
The idea of shamanism being a social role as you describe it, is pragmatic as well. The question is how seriously we consider these pragmatic implications. A person is only a shaman as he exists in the world for non-shamans; there is a certain truth to this, right? (So unless I am somehow communicating these shamanic values, I am otherwise not shamanic? Is there no intrinsic shamanic approach?) Well it is when this ideal is inevitably realized, that the language actually simulates substance.
I find it interesting that the shamans were "chosen" in this way that you describe. What you are saying, is that it is not formal. Reflected in our own increasingly political correct world, this idea of formalty functions interchangeably with what is explicit. Such as it is, there is no explicit word for what I do from time to time. I can make a colloquial reference, but there actually no explicit statement to describe this!
Perhaps this is what is great about mushrooms, they truly failed to cause a social movement that could be called anything more appealing than hippys. No ism; all we get are damned hippies. This is very existential, even more than existentialism, itself. (An essential description of existentialism, or an ism, is contradictory to existentialism)
But at the same time, if we could just get a verified ism, then we could probably do what we want with our mushrooms. Logically, all that there would have to be is an ism, and sooner or later someone would create a church, and then legalization would at least be subject to debate. As it is though, shamanism is not what I am doing, and there is no word to describe it. Absurd as it is, the lack of a better word is one of the main reasons it is illegal.
Just some thoughts.
Edited by daytripper23 (01/20/09 06:55 PM)
|