Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Terrence McKenna, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLillSkit
old hand
Re: Preserving my strains
    #92512 - 02/12/00 08:07 AM (17 years, 20 days ago)

I would like to know how often you experienced people (Workman, Ryche, Shroom Wizard and more) think one should change substrate since i mostly use brown rice as my nutrient..???
I have compost, minour and straw available but dont use it very often because of lazyness.
I have used it and actually got larger yields.
(its so much easier to prepare rice cakes though)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLillSkit
old hand
    #92514 - 02/12/00 08:11 AM (17 years, 20 days ago)

Ohhh yeah.....
My Q was directly intended as a "preserving the strain-Q"..!!
(Thats why i posted it here and not in an own topic)

InvisibleAnubisRonin
enthusiast
    #92515 - 02/12/00 08:47 AM (17 years, 20 days ago)

I have hear that if you constantly use the same substrate formula then your strain loses its vigor. In quoteing O.T. Oss & O.N. Oeric a.k.a. the Mckennas, You need to switch up your substrate formula frequently. (In this way the fungus will not become accustomed to one type of medium and thus will be forced to use different parts of its genome in adapting to the different media. This will prevent the mycelium from succumbing to any "senescence factor" or tendancy to age physiologically and thus lose vigor after a period of time.)
Now , I myself Had used the PF strain for about 3 years grown exclusively on Rice cakes and verm and I have noticed loss of vigor and this current cycle seems to be extremely slow... SO I am ready to switch up my substrates...

Anonymous

#92516 - 02/12/00 03:47 PM (17 years, 20 days ago)

Regarding preservation. Read the
Dehydration of Agar Cultures? thread on the Advanced Mushroom Cultivation board.

OfflineLillSkit
old hand
    #92517 - 02/12/00 08:20 PM (17 years, 20 days ago)

Anubis.
Actually i knew this.
That is why i asked.
But my Q was how often i should change the substrate.
Like very time or every 10 times?
I guess every time would be the best, but i acctually am so lazy that i dont want to shredd straw or use compost every time. :biggrin:

- Lill -

InvisibleAnubisRonin
enthusiast
    #92518 - 02/12/00 09:42 PM (17 years, 20 days ago)

LillSkit.... I think that its probably ok if you do it like every third generation or so... I doubt that its 100% necessary to switch up the substrate every time... Just dont do the same substrate over and over and over .. thats when you may run into probs..

Anonymous

#92519 - 02/17/00 01:27 AM (17 years, 16 days ago)

Well, AnubisRonin, I can answer some of your questions, maybe not through personal experience, but I do a lot of reading.
First of all, I'm pretty sure the best way to preserve a strain is by Changing the growing medium every so often. This is most easily done through the use of agar plates. You can find dozens of agar recipes on this site and though I've never used agar, it's the "best" way to perpetuate fungi. Also, in transferring your mycelium into different agar plates with different agar, one could also separate rhizomorphs and eventually isolate the fastest, thickest growing strain. And in the long run, agar test tubes can be stored in a refrigarator for extended periods, so if an accidental contamination occurs, you have the original strain to fall back on.
Lastly, I think the best way to inoculate 1/2 pint jars from agar would be to use the agar mycelium to inoculate a liquid solution (honey water works well) then after a week or two of growth use the mycelium water to inject the jars. This also should increase the colonization rate of your jars.
Anyway, hope this helps! :biggrin:

------------------
Peace and Love, Baby!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Terrence McKenna, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology